Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
ColdToiletSeat

Drives: 2001 Toyota Echo Red Sedan
Need some suggestions on turboing my Echo

Hey you guys i joined the forum just to ask you guys about this.

I have a 2001 Toyota echo sedan and i love it. It's my daily driver. Recently I made the decision that I want to turbo it, but i need some suggestions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-UNIVERSA...e6cb4b&vxp=mtr

First off, Do they even make turbo manifolds for a toyota echo? i've found a scion xa/xb turbo manifold but I don't know if it would work on my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAST-SCION-X...d134d0&vxp=mtr

Also, I have seen on YouTube that the universal eBay turbo kit is effective for moderate boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YeZx_VMuA

Only thing i'm worried about is forking over all this money and it not working.

So guys I need some advice. Thanks dudes!
ColdToiletSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
ColdToiletSeat

bump
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
The xb/xa stuff is pretty much a straight bolt on for you as they are based off the echo.

Dont buy the "jdm" chinese crap. You will just piss away your money as that stuff is not engineered to work properly.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Yeah, I was looking at these, too.

But just think, there are turbo kits for your Yaris that go for 4x these eBay ones. I think it's mostly the model-specific parts that you'll pay extra for. I'd rather pay that then than pay more in time and headaches to find out you need to custom fabricate all sorts of crap, and who knows how much of that eBay kit you'll actually end up using.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
ColdToiletSeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
The xb/xa stuff is pretty much a straight bolt on for you as they are based off the echo.

Dont buy the "jdm" chinese crap. You will just piss away your money as that stuff is not engineered to work properly.
So you're saying that the turbo manifold will definitely fit my echo? And im guessing the eBay stuff isn't made to last? because this is my daily driver. what if i buy a good quality turbo but buy the piping and intercooler kit from ebay would that be okay?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
ColdToiletSeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Yeah, I was looking at these, too.

But just think, there are turbo kits for your Yaris that go for 4x these eBay ones. I think it's mostly the model-specific parts that you'll pay extra for. I'd rather pay that then than pay more in time and headaches to find out you need to custom fabricate all sorts of crap, and who knows how much of that eBay kit you'll actually end up using.
I couldn't find anywhere where they made a turbo kit specifically for my model/engine could you share a link? because I might decide to go with that
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
sheekeebut
Minimalist

You can ask caliyaris about it. He can get you a ZAGE kit, which will have more parts more likely compatible with your engine. At least the piping will work better for you.

I'm leaning more towards the Blitz supercharger, if only I get enough time and courage to just get it and do it.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
ColdToiletSeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
You can ask caliyaris about it. He can get you a ZAGE kit, which will have more parts more likely compatible with your engine. At least the piping will work better for you.

I'm leaning more towards the Blitz supercharger, if only I get enough time and courage to just get it and do it.
Would you recommend a supercharger over a turbo? I guess supercharged engines are more reliable correct me if im wrong. Also it would be easier to install right? Also are the blitz super chargers pretty much universal? Please forgive me i love cars but am definitely new to boosting.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
ColdToiletSeat

bump
Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The Blitz kit has the advantage of being mostly plug-and-play, with the exception of the wire harness. You don't need bigger injectors unless you plan on getting a bigger throttle body or intake, and you don't need engine management unless you're going to try and squeeze every ounce of performance from the system. Yes, the kit is more expensive than a basic turbo kit, but you need a LOT of support (parts and personnel) to make a bare bones kit work properly.

Plan on $5k for either option, more if someone else will do the labor. I'm not sure if the Blitz xB kit is bolt-on for the Echo, but it may be.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
sheekeebut
Minimalist

What Cranky said.. I'm leaning towards the supercharger, as it looks a bit more manageable for a home garage guy. I don't know many shops around here competent enough to tune -- a Yaris for that matter.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
ColdToiletSeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The Blitz kit has the advantage of being mostly plug-and-play, with the exception of the wire harness. You don't need bigger injectors unless you plan on getting a bigger throttle body or intake, and you don't need engine management unless you're going to try and squeeze every ounce of performance from the system. Yes, the kit is more expensive than a basic turbo kit, but you need a LOT of support (parts and personnel) to make a bare bones kit work properly.

Plan on $5k for either option, more if someone else will do the labor. I'm not sure if the Blitz xB kit is bolt-on for the Echo, but it may be.
5K? Yikes! Im assuming if i turbo it ill need a lot of custom work done like a down pipe and pipes bend to work around my engine for the intercooler. Btw about the fuel injectors, i do have a cold air intake. Would upgrading my injectors give me a performance boost on my engine with my cai?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
ColdToiletSeat

Also, would this work?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/221077638417?_mwBanner=1
Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
CrankyOldMan

The major cost for a turbo kit is the tune. Since the Yaris isn't exactly sought after for its performance pedigree, there really aren't any drop-in engine management options with a pre-set tune. Plan to spend several hours on a dyno with the tuner, possibly over multiple sessions.

You can get a Yaris-specific piggyback wire harness for some management boxes, but they cost almost as much as (or more than) the box. If you go for a standalone, or are good with solder, you could just splice your own ECU connections, but that's not for the faint of heart or those inexperienced with proper soldering technique.

I would also stay away from un-branded equipment, unless you don't mind replacing it out-of-pocket, and potentially very often. A quality turbo is going to cost that much to begin with, for perspective, and still needs all the plumbing, wiring, welding and tuning to make it work.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just injecting a bit of reality. If you want a bolt-on option that can be done in a weekend, go with the Blitz. You may be able to find a used one (like I did) and have a very positive experience.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
ColdToiletSeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The major cost for a turbo kit is the tune. Since the Yaris isn't exactly sought after for its performance pedigree, there really aren't any drop-in engine management options with a pre-set tune. Plan to spend several hours on a dyno with the tuner, possibly over multiple sessions.

You can get a Yaris-specific piggyback wire harness for some management boxes, but they cost almost as much as (or more than) the box. If you go for a standalone, or are good with solder, you could just splice your own ECU connections, but that's not for the faint of heart or those inexperienced with proper soldering technique.

I would also stay away from un-branded equipment, unless you don't mind replacing it out-of-pocket, and potentially very often. A quality turbo is going to cost that much to begin with, for perspective, and still needs all the plumbing, wiring, welding and tuning to make it work.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just injecting a bit of reality. If you want a bolt-on option that can be done in a weekend, go with the Blitz. You may be able to find a used one (like I did) and have a very positive experience.
Where can you find a used one? also can i not tune it myself/drive it untuned?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

They (superchargers) pop up on the forums here now and then, usually when someone gets ready to sell the car and wants it back to stock for better resale response. If you've got deep pockets, you can still get a new/retail kit from MicroImage.

The dangerous part of driving a turbo un-tuned is detonation. I.e. if you run lean under boost and the fuel goes *pow* too soon, you snap a connecting rod and probably knock a nice hole in your engine block. If you're willing to learn how to tune, and have the leeway in your funds/work/driving schedule to accommodate a big "oops", then it could be a great opportunity. I'd suggest at least finding someone local that has done tuning before to give you their practical advice.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #17
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
As far as superchargers go, blitz isn't the only game in town. Some people on here had been putting Greddy superchargers on their Gen2 Yaris. They would actually have to modify the throttle body intake mounts as the Greddy had been designed for the Echo. Only problem being the used superchargers, Blitz included, are getting quite old. Lots of people starting to have issues with clutch bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
echo, kit, turbo