Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #19
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
almost looks like a timing notch, but why?
I think it might be damaged but it'd have to be one hell of a drop to do that, I think...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #20
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Two things...

1) The "dent" you are speaking of is a timing mark and is meant to be there for timing reasons. Should you ever need to rebuild an engine down the road, replacing a timing belt, etc. you will need this point of reference. Your OEM pulley has a very similar mark. On a side note... this questions has been answered a few times in the comprehensive NST thread...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

2) The NST shopping cart does include a field during the ordering process that asks customers for their color preference. For whatever reason... maybe customers are too excited... maybe they are not paying attention when ordering... or whatever reason, some people overlook this field and do not call us, email us, or message with their color preference after not entering it during the ordering process. As a result, we have to flip a coin.

Please feel free to give us a call should you ever have the tiniest of questions or look for me on AIM, I am available to serve you 8 days a week 30 hours a day.

Feel free to call me should you wish to send your pulley and exchange it for a red one.

Otherwise make sure it is installed properly and enjoy!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #21
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Two things...

1) The "dent" you are speaking of is a timing mark and is meant to be there for timing reasons. Should you ever need to rebuild an engine down the road, replacing a timing belt, etc. you will need this point of reference. Your OEM pulley has a very similar mark. On a side note... this questions has been answered a few times in the comprehensive NST thread...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

2) The NST shopping cart does include a field during the ordering process that asks customers for their color preference. For whatever reason... maybe customers are too excited... maybe they are not paying attention when ordering... or whatever reason, some people overlook this field and do not call us, email us, or message with their color preference after not entering it during the ordering process. As a result, we have to flip a coin.

Please feel free to give us a call should you ever have the tiniest of questions or look for me on AIM, I am available to serve you 8 days a week 30 hours a day.

Feel free to call me should you wish to send your pulley and exchange it for a red one.

Otherwise make sure it is installed properly and enjoy!
Ahh ok... well thank you for your response! I guess I just didn't see the box to choose the color. Maybe I was too excited I'm ok with this color, I think... I'm pretty sure you cant see it from the top, any ways. As for the mark, I searched threads for any thing about it, but didn't find anything; so I posted it here hoping someone who had one could tell me if theirs had the same dent... I apologize for casting dispersions on your fine product and again, thanx!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
NonStopTuning

Apology accepted

Good luck and have fun with all your future projects

Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Unhappy Well, shit... I broke something

While installing my NST pulley I broke the connector off of an valve/solenoid mounted jut above the alternator
I asked people for help here if you know what it is...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13428

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Talking My NST Pulley Install

Well I finally got around to installing my NST underdrive pulley... I tried to take pictures of all the steps but after the a certain point, taking pictures of the install kinda lost its importance...

Here's it jacked up and ready to remove the wheel (note the jack stand, I don't trust those scissor jacks if I'm getting under the car!)

Wheel removed

removing the faring covering the bottom/side of the engine

looking up at the faring bolts

You can't hardly see it, but I marked the alternator mount with whiteout to keep track of where the bolt was

After I loosened the bolt the alternator WOULD NOT move, and my ratchet was too thick to get to the bottom bolt! Without panicking I grabbed the rubber mallet and was able to knock it loose...

The Moment of Truth.
Going to try this without air tools and just a breaker bar...

GRRRRR HULK FIX CAR!!!with out an air ratchet!

Comparing the stock pulley to the underdrive pulley

Well... After installing the pulley, I could not get the alternator to rotate back... while trying to smack it back into position i broke the connector off the "camshaft timing oil control valve assembly"

I was finally able to move the alternator back and put everything back together, but with the broken part I forgot about taking pictures.. My main concern was cussing myself out for being so damn careless.
I pressed the two parts back together and hoped that the the connector tabs were what made the connection, and not the two tiny wires that were broken... well it wasn't... When I started it (I know, I know risky...) the check engine light came on, but I hoped it was the camshaft sensor problem reported in the DIY.

I promptly got onto YW and made a thread to ask for help.

The next day I had the CEL checked out at Advanced Auto Parts and it had both the camshaft sensor error and the camshaft timing oil control valve error...

So on the thread I started I got a lot of help to figure out what part number it was and a lot of advice on what to do about it...

I am very thankful for everyone who helped me with this! I ordered the valve from the stealer and will try to ignore how my car runs until I install it. I will reserve my review of the underdrive pulley until the engine is back in working order. Surprisingly the car doesn't seem to be running that bad without the valve, but I suspect my HP and/or MPG is worse without it. (it seems to be a part of the VVT-i system to retard or advance the timing)

The springs haven't arrived yet, they are scheduled for tomorrow, but I'll have to wait till the weekend to install them (If I do it at all after this fiasco )

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 03-30-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #25
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
Avoid driving your car at all if possible, you don't want to chance messing it up permanently
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #26
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

yea I know, but I've got to go to work and school

Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #27
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
oh yeah without that valve you're pretty much running your engine without the VVT-i system, so it should run just fine, just not as efficiently.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #28
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
oh yeah without that valve you're pretty much running your engine without the VVT-i system, so it should run just fine, just not as efficiently.
Yea I figured... I'll be glad when its fixed so I can tell for sure how much the pulley has helped...

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #29
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Talking My springs arrived a few days ago

So I took some pictures

I just wonder when I'll get to install them and whether to put those stickers on... Seems a little too ricer, maybe?

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 03-30-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #30
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Thumbs up My NST Pulley Review

Welp I fixed the valve and now I've had a few days with a properly working car and I really only have one word for the underdrive pulley...

WOW!

It's hard to believe one little upgrade could make such a difference... It revs better, accelerates faster, even sounds nicer, I think. One thing I know, the shift points have moved. With the stock pulley, shifting into 2nd happened at 30mph and shifting into 3rd at 60mph. It's changed to 33-34mph and 63-64mph respectively. And getting to those shift points is much quicker. In stock form hitting 85mph was like an event. (that's my video btw) Now I find myself pulling it back from 80 all the time... I down shift to pass someone, and suddenly I'm on my way towards 90... To tell the truth, with stock suspension I think it's almost a little scary! I took my coworkers to lunch yesterday, and thought it was kinda funny to watch their heads snap backwards. I think I'm going to take another 0-85 video when I get a chance and post it here...(maybe after my springs are installed) In closing I must say

NST FTW!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
you seem very happy with your purchase! i'll have to add it to my list... but the 10% underdrive, notice anything negative to say about it? how's your idle voltage?

im glad everything came together with the valve there, it sucks breaking things. story of my life.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #32
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
you seem very happy with your purchase! i'll have to add it to my list... but the 10% underdrive, notice anything negative to say about it? how's your idle voltage?

im glad everything came together with the valve there, it sucks breaking things. story of my life.
So far, no negatives... seems to idle fine, though I have no tools to test to see how the voltage is... Though I might have Autozone test how well my battery is charging to see what that says...

I will also have to check out the AC this summer to see if it seems weak or any thing...

As far as the valve thing, yea that was a real heart stopper when that happened (heart stopper, tool thrower, loud cusser, neighbor waker... )

Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
NonStopTuning

10% Underdrive is not enough to create a noticeable change in the way the alternator, the a/c, nor any other accessories perform.

But it is enough, in the case of the Yaris, to add a noticeable amount of throttle response and power delivery.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #34
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Talking Installed my springs!

I finally got around to installing my springs... possibly the longest DIY install ever I'm not even going to tell how long, it's too embarrassing (let's just say more then 4 hours)

The back springs took all of 15 minutes to install...

and the bottom bolts and nuts didn't take much to remove with the breaker bar...

All the lower bolts removed

But I thought I would NEVER get the nut of the top of the shock..

The bottom wrench was useless.. the DIY needs to mention that you need the top wrench to get to the nut inside

a blood sacrifice to the modding gods
I left chunks of skin on the allen wrench when the edge of the nut rounded off suddenly and I smashed my knuckle into it...

Had to remove the shelf with windshield wiper motor and AC intake to get to the strut bolts

used this pipe and the box wrench to break loose the nut on top of the shock when removing the stock springs piece of cake!

Finally installed!

going to post pics of the car and a review tomorrow...

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 04-14-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I did mine 2 weeks ago and love them. What do you think so far?
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #36
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

here's some pics of the new stance...

w/steelies

w/hubcaps the next morning

I think I like the steelies... it's almost like a post apocalyptic racer or something... that and I love the whole black everything look. but my wife thinks it's ghetto looking...

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 04-14-2009 at 04:55 AM.