Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
HOW CAN I KEEP FOGHLIGHS ON WITH HIGH BEAM?

How can I keep foglihgs on when using high beam? the fog lighs turn off when I switch to high beam.

There is any way I could keep them on?

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
mine is on a seperate switch so its on til i turn them off.....
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ight+high+beam

From what I read, it's possible. The relay gets a signal from the low beams to tell it to send power to the fogs. If you can jump the signal to hook up to the high beams as well as the low beams, you might be able to just keep them on.

Homework for you is to find out how the relay is hooked up to the low beam, find the high beams and hook the two up.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ight+high+beam

From what I read, it's possible. The relay gets a signal from the low beams to tell it to send power to the fogs. If you can jump the signal to hook up to the high beams as well as the low beams, you might be able to just keep them on.

Homework for you is to find out how the relay is hooked up to the low beam, find the high beams and hook the two up.
If you are useing the factory combo stalk , for get about it .
but if you are useing the aftermarket set up installed into factory wiring it's quite easy , you need to remove one wire , do you have any photos of your instal (wire colors ) and where you wired them .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
rningonfumes

I'm going to school but I'll do a more indepth search later. As for me, haven't done the install, I haven't found the time to do it.

There is a way, I'm quite sure of it. Just like many folks much smarter than I have figured out how to disable Daytime running lights and the seat belt chime, I know others have done it to their factory fog lights (vs aftermarket like that of Blazinbluevitz has). It just might not be our cars but a different model and I'm depending on Toyota to have similar electrical work in all their cars.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
It is illegal in most states to run your high beams and fog lights at the same time. You’re only allowed to produce so much light out of the front of your car. The people that have the high end lights and running your fog lights can break the limit. If you blind an oncoming driver and they hit you if they can prove you broke the law then it will now be your fault.

Running your high beams and low beams at the same time could also get you over the limit. I know this was done in the older cars a lot. In some states the HID lights are just under the limit on there low beams; toss on your fog lights and now you’re over. Every state is different and might be a PITA to find out what the legal limits are for your state.

I know this first hand because I hit someone head-on whale driving on a redneck back road. It was a combined speed of 30 / 35 mph. My wife and I were both blinded by there lights and upon inspection of there car found 2 sets of fog lights and there low beams were on. We took pics and had it written in the report. After it was all cleared up we went to the police station and made them open an investigation (3:15 AM) to find out what bulbs were in the sockets. Once at court I asked to talk before any info could be given about the wreck and provided this info with a copy of the law. The ladies lawyer dropped his jaw as the gabble hit the table before the lawyer could say anything to the judge.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I'm going to school but I'll do a more indepth search later. As for me, haven't done the install, I haven't found the time to do it.

There is a way, I'm quite sure of it. Just like many folks much smarter than I have figured out how to disable Daytime running lights and the seat belt chime, I know others have done it to their factory fog lights (vs aftermarket like that of Blazinbluevitz has). It just might not be our cars but a different model and I'm depending on Toyota to have similar electrical work in all their cars.
It is possable to do and very easy , but as stated , it could be illegal in your state .
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
With the factory stalk I would just like to be able to run fogs only.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
If you only wanted to do it momentarily you could push the stalk halfway... this turns on highbeams and leaves fogs on at same time... you have to hold it there in place though.. I do this sometimes when i see people walking in my neighbourhood at night. You'll feel the click and see the high beams come on, not very practical but it can be just as long as you can hold it in place whilst driving.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
With the factory stalk I would just like to be able to run fogs only.
The fogs turn off because the relay got the signal from the high beam ,
if your wheren't useing the factory stalk stopping this is real easy ,
but with the factory stalk you would need to experiment a little ,
start by looking at the wires on the back of the relay .
for pins means there will be at least 4 wires hopefully 5 or 6
or you could sit down for a couple of hours and read the service manual
for the wireing diagram. to find the wire you need to disconnect.

Just remembered ,check the back of the relay look for a white wire with black line .
99% sure that is the wire you need to disconnect.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I installed aftermarket driving lights and hooked the relay signal contact to the park lights....this way they are on anytime headlights or park lights are on.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
1NZYaris....thanks. When it comes to electrical I can follow a DIY with pics. If however it becomes try it yourself I am in left field. I've been hoping someone would eventually do this. I'll continue to wait.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Looking through the electrical diagrams trying to figure it out... I'm interested, as I have dealer-installed aftermarket front fogs, and the cars here come with rear fogs stock...

It's pretty easy in theory, just need to swap a wire so that the fog light switch is energized when the parking lights are on (which they are in both high and low beam)

So here's what you'd need to do (in theory, someone please test this first with some spare fuses handy ):

headlightswitch.gif

Pin 4 is the input from the low beams and/or DRL module, pin 13 is the output from the parking lights.

Essentially you want to cut the wires going into pin 4 (depending if you have DRLs, there may be two wires, I'm not so sure), then short pin 4 to pin 13.

Give it a try!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Looking through the electrical diagrams trying to figure it out... I'm interested, as I have dealer-installed aftermarket front fogs, and the cars here come with rear fogs stock...

It's pretty easy in theory, just need to swap a wire so that the fog light switch is energized when the parking lights are on (which they are in both high and low beam)

So here's what you'd need to do (in theory, someone please test this first with some spare fuses handy ):

Attachment 20549

Pin 4 is the input from the low beams and/or DRL module, pin 13 is the output from the parking lights.

Essentially you want to cut the wires going into pin 4 (depending if you have DRLs, there may be two wires, I'm not so sure), then short pin 4 to pin 13.

Give it a try!

I think you would want to use pin 10 (T1) rather than 13 (B1). B1 is the non switched leg, so the fogs would always have power. T1 is the switched output from the parking light switch.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sure about that? look at the lighting.pdf, page 75, the ground line is T1, or am I not understanding correctly?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
sure about that? look at the lighting.pdf, page 75, the ground line is T1, or am I not understanding correctly?
The switch switches the ground side. The difference between T1 and B1 is which side of the switch you are on.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
1NZYaris1

Quote:
i Currently have my fogs running from pin 3 only, i did not use pin 4
as all the diy's say , for my aftermarket switch .
So what you are saying for the factory switch makes a lot of sense .
Because all you are trying to do is stop the high beam signal from
getting to fog light relay.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
rningonfumes

Who ever does this first..ie can take pics with install, please make a quick DIY and sticky it!