Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
hshi

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback Auto
Weird question, needs some help!

Hi there:
I am quite new to this forum and have a weird question and wonder if anyone here shares the same. My car is 2008 Yaris Auto Hatchback. Everytime, when
I start the car and accelerate at the first 30 seconds, the RPM can go up to 3k-4k but the speed is only around 40km/h. As I keep pressing the gas , the high rpm will stay high and when I soften the gas a little bit, the RPM will drop dramatically. My gas consumption is very poor as well, roughly around 7-8km per liter. Can someone shed any lights on that, I only put around 10k on that and I don't race at all.

Thanks

HS
hshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Have you ever noticed that the coolant light is still lit? In the Auto Tranny, it won't shift beyond 3rd or 2nd (I forget since I have a 5 spd)...I think it's 3rd until the engine is warmed up.

You probably have bad gas mileage because you keep trying to accelerate while the engine needs to be warmed up. If you read the manual, it will tell you that you should start off slow to moderate until the light goes off.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
hshi

Thanks. The coolant light is still on when I was pressing the gas. That might be
reason. Is there any solution for that ? like for the first 10 seconds on 30km/h, for the next 10 on 50km/h?

Thanks in advance.

HS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Have you ever noticed that the coolant light is still lit? In the Auto Tranny, it won't shift beyond 3rd or 2nd (I forget since I have a 5 spd)...I think it's 3rd until the engine is warmed up.

You probably have bad gas mileage because you keep trying to accelerate while the engine needs to be warmed up. If you read the manual, it will tell you that you should start off slow to moderate until the light goes off.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
there's nothing much you can do about it. just go slowly.

you should be doing 3000rpm at 80kmh in 3rd anyways..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
hshi

Hi there, my gas consumption is 22MPG or 400 KM per tank. Now, I started slow and still get the same...
I have some strange issue. Everytime when I start the engine and give the gas, the car engine will be revving but the speed stays slow, this may last around 5 mins and when I loose the gas a bit, the rpm will drop sharply and I feel a sudden push somehow. I always drive around city limits and mainly do the city driving. Any recommendations for that?
It kinda drives me insane as the main reason I go for yaris is for the gas consumption but it did not give what I expect.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Don't force the Yaris until is it properly warmed up(the green cool light goes off). Depending on the outside air temp, this might take a few minutes. So stay around 40 mph until it is warm.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
hmm ... make sure its in drive and not in 3 if you have an automatic.. that seems to be the biggest noob mistake lately causing the most complaints.

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
its likely keeping higher rpms while the engine is cold so that itll warm up a bit quicker. i think thats the case especially since you say it goes away after driving for 5min or so....

as for the consumption, 7 or 8 L/100km isnt bad for an auto in the city in the winter....last winter i was rolling about 7.5L/100km avg w/ my 5speed here in new brunswick all-city. wait till the summer for the true economy - - but 4 cylinders just dont do THAT well once youre running the window defroster and all that jazz....

welcome to the boards too!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
The engine intentionally runs at high RPM's while the green "cool" temp light is on. It helps in the warm up process. Just don't force it because it will warm itself up soon enough. Fastest I tend to go is 35mph while it's still warming up. It'll rev high but not overdoing it.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Its probably because your car is "cool"..... it will not let you into the higher gears until its feels like it's ready to.... you'll end up revving it toooo much and when it finally gets to a certain point (like cresting a hill) it will suddenly slip into the next gear and jerk forward.

Its a very nice thing to have... saves you from damaging your engine.... unless you are trying to force it... the whole point is to slowly warm it up.... after a block or two or a couple of minutes of driving the "cool" light will go off... and it will not rev high and jolt anymore........

thats what I seem to think it is.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
YAR1S

wow.... I basically made a much more elaborate reason than everyone' else's simple causes.... haha maybe I should read a little before posting.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
YAR1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
hmm ... make sure its in drive and not in 3 if you have an automatic.. that seems to be the biggest noob mistake lately causing the most complaints.
DITTO to this as well.... if you feel like your car is abnormally loud and revvy. make sure it's in "D" ....

I fell for that trick too ;]

Quote:
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
i know exactly what he is talking about... if you let the motor warm up it wont do it... i have an auto l/b as well and i often wonder... it will still do it after the green cool light is off... but only for about 2 minutes.. but like barber says its so it can warm up faster... nothing major to worry about... hope you feel better and not freakout killing millions...(Goerge W. Bush)

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The point of what the car is tryign to do is keep your rpms high to speed engine warm up. Point being if you start your car one morning and time how long it takes for your cool light to go off meaning the car is finally warmed to operating temperature to go into closed loop. And the day after start the car and hold the rpms to 3k and keep it there til the light goes off. You will notice the light goes off much much sooner. Its highly dangerouse to have a idle of 3k so what the vehicle does it simply delay the shift points allowing you to keep those high rpms while your cruising along.

So nothing is wrong with your car and nothing you can do to change it. Just be happy your car is smart and helping reduce your fuel consuption by reducing your warm up times.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote