Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #19
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
[offtopic]

sleey0, may I suggest Airsoft? You get a lot more of a rush then just going to the range and shooting targets. Also, no cleaning of weapons afterward.

Check out http://www.airsoftpost.com/

[/offtopic]
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #20
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
If you don't want any down time, then don't boost. There will always be something that puts you in that position.

Air-soft??????????????? are you serious???????????????

You wana rush????????????? come out here I'll get you a moving target that shoots back.

Air-soft..........Think I'll go play WOW now. (Gay)

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
LOL I would not trust a shop to just take a week. To get it installed by yourself and not tuned like others did will take admiration and multiple days and troubleshooting. If you can't find another car to borrow, don't even risk it. Even a good mechanic will take a handful of days to make sure everything is done properly.

Yeah I know, I have an AR15 as well, I didn't know you were ex-army, I don't know how old you are I thought you were younger.

I don't really go for the expensive end of guns as long as its a good shot. You can't really build a cheap good AR anyways so I can''t really say that but you are not an American gun owner without an AR, EVERYONE has one. Most Benellis are $$$, I am thinking of getting a Moss 500 or Rem 870 just something with a short barrel for the house. Also just put an order for a Glock 19. Rock Island 1911 will have to wait
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
This is a tuning shop. They install everything, from turbos to sc to twin charging.

They have been xoing this for over 15 years and come highly recommended.

I was told.as.long.as.I.only want low boost.they will hook me up and if anything comes up they will help.

The issues i.am talking about are like focus shift. Did u.see what that dude went thru with the leaks and dtcs?

I have mad respect for him but i am paying for a pro install. We are.going to dyno then street tune it. The owner assured me, ar $85 per hr, my shit willl look so good it will be like it came from the factory (not ezact words but what i gathered).

Besides if i do have a down day I am sure there is nothing a$35 rental car cant cure.

Thx for the concern, but I believe with the right parts and right ppl doing your stuff I can run this car boosted trouble free. I dont plan on racing it or dogging it. Just want a car withmorethan 80whp lol.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Thx for the concern, but I believe with the right parts and right ppl doing your stuff I can run this car boosted trouble free.
ok, just remember we all posted the same thing about this. It hasn't been true for anyone else. I could explain why at least some small failures are predictable too, but you have a set point of view it seems.

My downtime (after a professional install and low boost, as you describe):

vacuum leak
IC pipe coupler loose
coil popped off
wiring fixes
etc.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
sleey0

And those I can deal with here where I live.

The smaller sruff yes- the larger stuff no.

And wouldnt vacuum leaks be caught quickly? And I didnt know u had a pro install done garm. Thought u did it yourself lol.

My pov isnt fixed but I am doing ehat I can to make.sure my ride will be the best itcan.

If I have issues the shop isnt very far. Its doable with a leak or dtc, not in limp mode of course.

Whatever. I thought Id get a little more support here but everyone is like dont do it as u will run into too many problems.

Question for garm or xbg, once your system was.setup how many problems did u have?

I guess garms.answer might be somewhat irrelevantbecauseu make close to 400hp.

All I want is like 150 - 180TOPS. Anything in that range should be doable with no internal issues.

My motor has 25k on it. Pretty new in japanese standards.

Look.at my sig.says it all.

I love this forum and am going ahead with my project regardless. I know all consequences involved.

Trust me you will be answering issues I have I am.sure of that.

But I can work around a.day or three of dowbtime.

THANKS ALL!
Wes
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
xbgod
Banned

Even with professional install, unseen problems occur. Like Cali-Yaris posted those are some of the same challanges I faced. Word of advice, have a sit down with this company discuss the concerns you have; also get a feel for the kind of work they do. Take a look around the shop, notice the kind of clientel they have and work habbits around the shop. Make sure these guys are used to working on small displacement motors and understand the kind of tune your looking for. Ask to see if he is qualified on your engine management. Don't be afraid to call them on the carpet on something your not sure on. A good shop will have their accomplisments posted on the wall for all to see. Like CFT where I go, Rolo has all his certs. on the wall for you to see and all the magazines they've been in, in plain view. As soon as you walk in to CFT you know your in a Tunner Haven. Nothing but 4 cyl and turbos as far as you can see.

And even with his professional installs and service, your still doing something to a car that was never meant to be. So you will always be tinkering and adjusting and checking things. It will no longer be a get in and go change the oil every 3,500 miles car.

You will be listing for unusual sounds and changing your spark plugs more often along with more frequent oil changes and pereodic inspections to make sure everything is still tight. You are now putting your car under more load which has an effect on everything; from your axels to your tranny to having a cupler come loose on your I/C piping.

However it's so much fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind you are shorting the life of your unbuilt motor and thats really your main concern. But it's the price you pay to play.

XBG
Old 10-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #26
sleey0

Understood EVERYTHING Aras.

I check my car daily and it isn't even modded. So I would be quite diligent.

I know the small things to look for.

There are 2 shops that I am "intervieweing" at the moment.

One of the shops mechanics/tuners HAS A YARIS!

So I will do my homework and choose wisely.

I have heard only good things about both and both are willing to have me there to show where everything goes etc.

They said I could even help if I wanted, which I may, but for $85/hr defeats the purpose hahahaha.

We will talk, xbg.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Question for garm or xbg, once your system was.setup how many problems did u have?
post 23. that was at 8 psi on the first install.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I guess I misunderstood. Somehow.

You said:

Quote:
I can't have any down time
Then you said:

Quote:
But I can work around a day or three of downtime.
ok, I'm done with the topic of downtime, onward. Start ordering crap already, LOL.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #29
sleey0

Trust me Garm, I have things planned out but there are outside factors in play.

You will see what I am trying to accomplish. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Believe you me, if I could begin YESTERDAY I would have. Crap, if I could have started last month I would have lol.

And, I still need that part from Blitz. I hope they contact you soon.

Thanks, Garm. If you had a turbo kit we would most likely be talking more about it. I like your manifold, BTW. Nice welds:)

Oh, and about the downtime. Last thing:

Here is my "sitrep" - I work for WWTS which is a company that handles warranty work for all the big OEM's (Dell, IBM/Lenovo, Sony, and soon Asus and I am sure more as they want to expand to pretty much every tech company it seems).

My schedule - I make my own! So, yes I NEED my car, but I can afford SOME downtime,

Not a couple of weeks like focus_shift. God bless him, though. I would have ripped my hair out.

But, I can work and play around since my job is very flexible. I work from home, baically, but need my car.

I suppose if something big happened than Enterprise here I come!

Thanks, Garm for everything, And I will be sending you that leaky smoked LED marker soon.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #30
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Haha honestly, for a $2700 turbocharger install w/ gauges, FIC, exhaust included, downtime wasn't bad at all.

Seriously... sit down, drink a beer, watch some tele.

I'm with everyone else though, unseen errors WILL occur. This is a big install, and there's sooooo many little things that can go wrong and will go wrong. I went into it with that mentality and look at me now ma.. I'm boostin around town.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #31
jetbtkng
idiot racing team

Drives: 2010 hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Haha honestly, for a $2700 turbocharger install w/ gauges, FIC, exhaust included, downtime wasn't bad at all.

Seriously... sit down, drink a beer, watch some tele.

I'm with everyone else though, unseen errors WILL occur. This is a big install, and there's sooooo many little things that can go wrong and will go wrong. I went into it with that mentality and look at me now ma.. I'm boostin around town.
what about pre detonation, these are 10.5 compression, as are my solara's & there sc'ed @ 7 & 8psi with the 3.0, im using urd split second to do the fuel & timming, & havent seen any posts about knocking issues & what fuel the boosted guys use, i make my own fuel mixture to get 94.2 octane, just bought a brand new 2010 2dr hatchback and want to sc it.....
jetbtkng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

at 7 to 8 psi, you should be able to tune the car to run well on 91 pump gas.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #33
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I'm running 93 with no tuning. So far so good.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #34
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
If you don't want any down time, then don't boost. There will always be something that puts you in that position.

Air-soft??????????????? are you serious???????????????

You wana rush????????????? come out here I'll get you a moving target that shoots back.
Air-soft..........Think I'll go play WOW now. (Gay)

XBG
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #35
xbgod
Banned

Well gentlemen if your gonna build a boosted vehicle you might want to make 9.5:1 compression you will get much better results. You can achive this by changing the top of the piston. Now you can get away with a much easier way to build boost without the fear of detonation.

Arias pistons has a designe on hand that I have in my car and will turn your set-up into 9.5:1. also their ceramic coated so "bring on the heat"
cost 800.00

If you can't do that then the methanol choice is your only alternative. This will allow you to compinsate for that 10.5:1 ratio your stock motor has.

This is how it works:

It reduces air inlet temperatures which allows users to increase boost pressure (and advance timing on forced induction gas applications) to create more power by utilizing the cooling effects of the system under heavy load.

Thats the short and skinny of it. Also run 93 octane and a NGK BKR7E racing plug. You will get great results. That is the most widely used tunner plug around.

Good luck

XBG
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #36
sleey0

I got Denso IK22's instead of the NGK's. Also the TRD pluggs are just IK22's that are slightly modified.

Probably the same plug lol - NGK might be made by Denso.

xbgod - 9/23/2010