Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
jay cobbs

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan 4 speed auto
Arrow AWESOME MPG WITH 2010 SEDAN TO TAHOE...WOW

hELLO EVERYBODY JUST GOT MY 2010 YARIS SEDAN WITH 35K ON IT AND IT THE BEST CAR I'VE EVER HAD. BOUGHT GRAND AMS, MALIBUS,OPEL RALLYE, SATURN SL2,AND MANY MORE . IM A PRO DRIVER FOR THR PASS 20 YEARS AND MY WIFE LOVES IT WITH 50 MPG ON THE FREEWAY AND 35 AROUND TOWN WITH NO HYPERMILING TRICKS. TIRES AT 37 PSI NO SLOW STARTS OR PULSE AND GLIDE TRICKS . SHE DRIVE IT FLAT OUT LIKE HER 6 BANGER PONTIAC GRAND AM. I LOVE IT TOO JUST WENT TO LAKE TAHOE FULLY LOADED WITH CAMPING GEAR,FOOD, AND 3 BIG ADULTS. WENT 320 MILES ON ONE FILLUP AND 7.2 GALLONS..DO THE MATH..THE YARIS SEDAN IS THE SECRET LOVE CHILD OF A CAMRY AND A PRIUS..NO KIDDINGTAKE THAT PRIUS LOVERS...BY THE WAY WE WENT ALL THE WAY UP AT 75 MPH AND 65 MPH UP THE GRADES AND PASSES..GO YARIS GO!!
jay cobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Congrats dude. That's definitely impressive; I assumed the sedans usually got less mpg than the hatch backs, so that's fantastic you're doing that well. Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Ain't it fun? We have been getting great mileage from our 07 sedan since the getgo.

Seems to me the sedan is lower, and I have always felt that frontal area and departure angles are more important than many people realise...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Wow, Jay... your 50mpg is really encouraging.

I so enjoy seeing people taking pride in frugality rather than being proud of being wasteful.

Ours has been averaging 35 mpg around town but it hasn't been on the freeway for any length of time yet as it has 500 miles on it.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
jay cobbs

I checked some techy stuff like the prius c weight and drag cof and it turns out thr yaris sedan cuts thur the air at only .29 drag co numbers while the prius c super econo model is about the same at .27 drag in the wind and same engine and almost same weight. that means my 2010 sedan with 5 speed auto trans with a light foot and the ultra gauge or maybe a scangaugeII for seeing real time mpg numbers you could get 45-52 mpg all day on the freeway and maybe more. its gonna be fun trying..... I use chevron or 76 only due to the beter milage and better for the engine from all the blogs I keep reading. Wish me luck on my NEW break 50-55 mark...GO YARIS GO......
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" my 2010 sedan with 5 speed auto trans "

It's a 4 speed auto . Still does very well compared to other 5 speed automatics . Makes you wonder how well the Yaris would do with a C.V.T..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
jay cobbs

HI drove the prius on same lot with yaris....GO 4 speed

I tried the cvt prius same year as my 5 speed AT yaris sedan. the prius wasnt as much fun and zippy on the same test drive. If I want to teach my wife hypermiling she needs to feel and hear the tranny to know the gear and lower revs. thats hard on a cvt because of the contant belt ratio changes. I dont think with the sedans quick 4 speed with overdrive and 45mpg on the hyway it might not make a big diffrence...Ya think? its really T.E.S.T. at toyota which means Toyota Enginnners Smart Thinking....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
Congrats dude. That's definitely impressive; I assumed the sedans usually got less mpg than the hatch backs, so that's fantastic you're doing that well. Hope you continue to enjoy it!
In general the sedans get better gas mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Ain't it fun? We have been getting great mileage from our 07 sedan since the getgo.

Seems to me the sedan is lower, and I have always felt that frontal area and departure angles are more important than many people realise...
Frontal area is extremely important, as is height of vehicle and even length of vehicle. One reason A segment cars like the iQ cannot get as good gas mileage as cars like ours is they are not long enough. I have a feeling the extra length of the sedan helps gas mileage out quite a bit.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
In general the sedans get better gas mileage.
Weird. I've had two friends with them that were only in the 30's. maybe they just drive mean. haha
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Congrats! Who needs a Prius when your Yaris can get as much mpg
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
jay cobbs

Arrow just check you tube and mpgomatic.com

Im just as suprised as you. my wife doesnt belive in hypermiling and check the mapquest from union city,ca. to lake tahoe. we when 320 miles total on mt passe down to carson city and all over tahoe on camping trails ect.and dirt one laners just got new air filter and dino oil change...thats it.... 320 miles one way loaded 7.2 gallaons of arco to and back.....the car is very ayirodynamic. only .29 drag vs. .27 with many prius with more hood surface to cut the air and longer body to help lift for less friction. not an engineer but looked up alot about dynamics. no brag just facts......

Last edited by jay cobbs; 05-23-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Here in the Great White North, we get to fight with winter temperatures, snow tires, etc. Lots of stuff makes a difference. I'm back to summer tires now, and I have a test section close to home: I kick it out of gear at a particular spot at a particular speed to check on rolling resistance, and it is amazing how much difference tire brand and pressure makes!

Try it yourself and see what I mean...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
My 2010 sedan has been filled 7 times since I bought it with 12k miles, and every fill has been between 45-48mpg.

One was incorrect because the pump only filled it up to the last 1/8th of a tank instead of totally full, which is why my average isn't even higher. I mostly only drive on country roads where I'm the only car for miles, though. Or on the interstate.

But, congrats! Sedan powah!
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 yaris sedan, 45 mpg sedan is awesome, gas mileage