Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Squash

Drives: First Gen Yaris
Source of 'crickets' noise?

Hi, I have an issue with my 2005 Yaris 1.5L Auto (It's done less than 60k miles) that my mechanic can't replicate (I don't think he took it out long enough/warmed it up enough to induce it happening) and I can't manage to get a good sound recording of, but it sounds like crickets chirping and it's pretty loud.

The noise only seems to happen when the car is stationary and the brakes are applied.

* It happens daily, becoming more frequent as the car warms up.

* If I take my foot off the brake and start rolling forward the noise stops.

* If I pop it into Neutral the noise stops as well. Which leads me to popping it into Neutral at every traffic light as the noise is loud enough to be a little embarrassing (this is an auto so it's unusual to have to do this all the time).

* It does not seem to occur when I'm braking while moving, only a few moments after the car has come to a stop.

* My mechanic thought it might be the fan belt and tightened it, but it didn't help so I've sort of ruled that out.

Does anyone have any diagnostic ideas?

Last edited by Squash; 10-27-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
is it coming from inside the car or exterior from the engine or elsewhere?

typically noises that occur in the situation you described are due to excess vibration from engine due to torgue on the engine mounts when in D with the foot on the break. This highlights anything lose and will generally cause it to rattle.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Squash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
is it coming from inside the car or exterior from the engine or elsewhere?

typically noises that occur in the situation you described are due to excess vibration from engine due to torgue on the engine mounts when in D with the foot on the break. This highlights anything lose and will generally cause it to rattle.
Sounds like it's coming from inside the engine bay. Not from inside the cabin anyway.

Sounds a little similar to this although it doesn't sound like it's the same issue because his was due to a clutch bearing (mine is an auto). Mine does sound like a higher frequency chirping and the pitch is higher as well though. I'll try and get a recording and locate the general area it's coming from next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4i-zVutg4
Old 11-02-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Squash

OK scrap that, it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car, towards the rear axle? I finally got a good recording of it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnlDKfoVccY

Another interesting thing I noticed is there is a change in the engine noise preceding the chirping sound.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Have him put it on a lift.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Squash: Complete shot in the dark here but have you checked the donut gasket and bolts/springs that join your axle back to mid pipe? There is only a handful of things that can make noise back there, that's where i would start.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squash View Post
OK scrap that, it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car, towards the rear axle? I finally got a good recording of it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnlDKfoVccY

Another interesting thing I noticed is there is a change in the engine noise preceding the chirping sound.
to sounds like belt slip possibly water pump area but if u say its from the rear have a look at the gaskets that connect sit between muffler u could have a leak ..but so sounds like belt area from vid.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote