Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
mike_d

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I also get some kind of vibrating when sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake. If i have it in park then i don't hear it at all. It sounds like something is rattling or loose in the engine area.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Do you guys have lightened or underdrive crank pulleys?
Does the noise stop when you depress the clutch (in case your car is equipped with a manual transmission)?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #21
mike_d

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Mine is all stock and an automatic.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
mine idles kinda loud too, red light etc. i had a thread up about feeling some shaking by the pedals.

As for sharp turn i haven't noticed yet, it's hard to hear.

hopefully this could be the faulty EGR recall thing.

But, our yarises have "loud engines" and poor soundproofing so we hear alot of noise from engine bay.

I was worried for my young engine, but alot of people here have the same noise.........
My Engine is quiet - ONCE I PUT GOOD OIL AND FILTER IN IT (MOTUL/WIX) Cant even hear it run. You run american oils in an Asian engine, you'll get a pile of stinking junk in a few thousand miles.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
My Engine is quiet - ONCE I PUT GOOD OIL AND FILTER IN IT (MOTUL/WIX) Cant even hear it run. You run american oils in an Asian engine, you'll get a pile of stinking junk in a few thousand miles.
Profoundly UNTRUE. You keep spreading outright lies.

There are MILLIONS of Japanese cars running American oil with NO PROBLEMS, NO BREAKDOWNS, NO WORRIES.

You say "...you'll get a pile of stinking junk in a few thousand miles...". What outright lies, and deception. Other posters, be worry of this guy!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #24
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
He used to use the handle "grumpyfromNH". He's relabeled himself. Same guy, same TIRED old rant....
Until I bought my Yaris and learned a LOT here about oil filters, I ALWAYS used orange Fram brand filters. Guess what? Never lost an engine. ALSO, I would buy the cheap PepBoys Pro Line oil!
Go figure...
Welcome back , Grumpy

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
He used to use the handle "grumpyfromNH". He's relabeled himself.
Welcome back , Grumpy

Busted!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Mine does the same thing when I'm stopped after the motor is warmed up. The idle drops really low and it kind of shudders. I have heard the ECU makes that motor do that intentionally for fueal economy reasons.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #27
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
He used to use the handle "grumpyfromNH". He's relabeled himself. Same guy, same TIRED old rant....
Until I bought my Yaris and learned a LOT here about oil filters, I ALWAYS used orange Fram brand filters. Guess what? Never lost an engine. ALSO, I would buy the cheap PepBoys Pro Line oil!
Go figure...
Welcome back , Grumpy
I kind figured this out about a month or so ago after p/m' ing him...them....lol

they are a good group as long as you don't get them started on lubrication.....hehe
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #28
TheSilkySmooth

Well if you blew over 6 engines in ten years using the "best" american oils and OEM filter how would U feel about the subject. No american major brands labeled synthetic are synthetic. Period. My wifes previously wonderful rav 4 is DEAD in 3 years with only 67K miles using TOYOTA THAI denso filters and genuine toyota oil and Mobil 5000. F this. IDK if you blow you motor. Go ahead. No skin off MY teeth (= <
Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #29
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Well if you blew over 6 engines in ten years using the "best" american oils and OEM filter how would U feel about the subject. No american major brands labeled synthetic are synthetic. Period. My wifes previously wonderful rav 4 is DEAD in 3 years with only 67K miles using TOYOTA THAI denso filters and genuine toyota oil and Mobil 5000. F this. IDK if you blow you motor. Go ahead. No skin off MY teeth (= <
You must be either doing a poor job of caring for your family cars, or just having REAL bad luck!
6 motors in ten years? Whew....
You're the first person I know who's killed ANY Toyota vehicle in three years flat.
Hope you have better luck in the future , sir.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Does anyones idle go down a little bit then come back up when they turn on things like the rear defrost, turn the blower on, etc?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Does anyones idle go down a little bit then come back up when they turn on things like the rear defrost, turn the blower on, etc?
yes, more electrical drag...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #32
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^+1
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #33
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Geez Silky - clearly this is the driver and not the engine or oil. I have NEVER blown an engine in 26 years of driving.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #34
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
You must be either doing a poor job of caring for your family cars, or just having REAL bad luck!
6 motors in ten years? Whew....
You're the first person I know who's killed ANY Toyota vehicle in three years flat.
Hope you have better luck in the future , sir.
You can blame the Toyota service center and their Genuine parts – that’s what was used on my wife’s Rav-4. So i guess the Toyota Dealer does a poor job maintaining my cars in my area ... OR its the downrated US API/ILSACGF4 oil that Porsche, Audi, BMW, VW do not allow anywhere near their vehicles ... I saved my Yaris from the brink with Motul 8100 and WIX
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #35
TheSilkySmooth

The cars are parked outside and get many a 10 deg F cold start in the Winter. Sometimes -15 F. That can't help.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #36
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:

Grampy, you blew that many motors? This says more about YOU then the oil.

There are MILLIONS that have not blown so many oils, and they use the "cheap" American brands too.

I would suggest pouring the oil into the valve cover and not the exhaust pipe. It don't get into the engine from the exhaust pipe, I promise!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote