Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Radiator - how often to service/flush, or should I?

I have 2008 Yaris automatic, nonS, and my repair center keeps asking me if I want to get the BG radiator flush done. I haven't done it in 3 years and just not sure if it is worth the $150 to do it. The service it top notch, so not a question of the quality of the service, but of spending the dough.

Thoughts? Would you do it and if so, how often would you get your radiator serviced?
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
I got my car with 88,000 miles, it's now at 121,000, and I haven't done it yet.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I haven't done much since I've bought my 2010 new, it only has 45,000 on it. I'll do the coolant when the water pump starts leaking.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
CERTAINLY no need to flush with chemicals.

You can drain the entire coolant with just the radiator drain in my experience.

Refill with red Toyota coolant only!

Service per the Owners Manual ONLY. You DO have one of those, right?

People trying to charge you $150 are NOT your friends!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Toyota USA says to drain and refill the cooling system at 100,000 miles and then every 50,000 miles there after. Use the PINK super long live coolant. I buy the coolant from Toyota and do it myself.
Toyota Canada says to do it at 128,000 kilometres, then every 64,000 kilometres there after.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
coolant

If you haven't contaminated the system by mixing the wrong coolants or adding regular tap water you shouldn't have to do anything till around 150k miles or 7-8 years. But if it makes you feel better go ahead and replace the Toyota long life coolant. My 2005 Tacoma still has the original pink Toyota long life coolant after 145k miles and 9 years, no coolant issues, running like a champ.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
If you are replacing it with what's in there (hopefully Toyota Pink long life, Toyota Red normal life, or OEM branded Toyota/Lexus Pink) then I would just drain the rad. I tend to get about 90-95% out from the rad. I have used the block drain cock in the past because I bought the car used and the next time I'll be switching from Toyota Red to OEM pink. Just refill unless you had contaminated the system with something different than the above listed coolants. I would run deionized water through it with the T-stat removed for 20-30 sec (will leak without T-stat and gasket so don't run long). Then re drain and fill with the proper coolant.

For those wondering the OEM branded Toyota Pink coolant can now be purchased at Canadian Tire eith er pre mixed of concentrated. The concentrated is about $27 which is slightly cheaper than the Toyota regular life red. Except the Red is good for about 45,000km and the OEM pink is good for 5 year/250,000km. The ingredients are the exact same as Toyota long life pink and likely made in the exact same factory
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
If you haven't contaminated the system by mixing the wrong coolants or adding regular tap water you shouldn't have to do anything till around 150k miles or 7-8 years. But if it makes you feel better go ahead and replace the Toyota long life coolant. My 2005 Tacoma still has the original pink Toyota long life coolant after 145k miles and 9 years, no coolant issues, running like a champ.
^^^^^ This. In over 300,000 miles on my '07 Yaris, all I've had to do is add part of a new bottle of the 'Toyota Pink' that I purchased at a Toyota dealership.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ This. In over 300,000 miles on my '07 Yaris, all I've had to do is add part of a new bottle of the 'Toyota Pink' that I purchased at a Toyota dealership.
Do you test your coolant nook? I don't mean with a hydrometer. With that kind of mileage I can't imagine this coolant isn't doing some kind of damage to seals and aluminum parts.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Do you test your coolant nook? I don't mean with a hydrometer. With that kind of mileage I can't imagine this coolant isn't doing some kind of damage to seals and aluminum parts.
No.

If we can find a big enough and empty enough parking lot (my idea re that caveat ), a friend of mine wants me to try to teach her how to drive a manual with my '07 Yaris. Later (just before the registration needs to be renewed again) I'm going to let that Yaris go (fender needs replacing...and that accident may = other damage). My friend knows a guy who owns a car lot. My friend (same wants to learn how to drive a manual friend) wants to help her 20 year old niece, who I know, get her first car from that car lot. I was going to donate that Yaris to help the Wounded Warrior Project (if that is possible), but if giving that car to that dealer will help my friend owe less on her first car, I'd rather do that than get the tax deduction for the donation. If that doesn't work out, then I'll just go through with a donation.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
No.

If we can find a big enough and empty enough parking lot (my idea re that caveat ), a friend of mine wants me to try to teach her how to drive a manual with my '07 Yaris. Later (just before the registration needs to be renewed again) I'm going to let that Yaris go (fender needs replacing...and that accident may = other damage). My friend knows a guy who owns a car lot. My friend (same wants to learn how to drive a manual friend) wants to help her 20 year old niece, who I know, get her first car from that car lot. I was going to donate that Yaris to help the Wounded Warrior Project (if that is possible), but if giving that car to that dealer will help my friend owe less on her first car, I'd rather do that than get the tax deduction for the donation. If that doesn't work out, then I'll just go through with a donation.
Ahhh ok sounds like a plan ;)
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
kcanaj

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
I had in my Yaris Dex-cool 50/50 it is the pink one, this is what Autozone gave me and I'm trying to change to Toyota brand. Should I flush first with distilled water or just drain and refill?
kcanaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcanaj View Post
I had in my Yaris Dex-cool 50/50 it is the pink one, this is what Autozone gave me and I'm trying to change to Toyota brand. Should I flush first with distilled water or just drain and refill?
I really would not worry about it and leave the fresh Dex-cool in there. Contrary to what many people will tell you, Toyota pink Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) and GM Dex-cool are nearly chemically identical as they are both ethylene gylcol based long life OAT coolant. The main difference being Toyota SLLC has some phosphate added and uses sebacate rather than 2-EHA has the main organic acid corrosion inhibitor. The other difference is the colour of dye added to achieve Toyota's pink colour and Dex-cool's orange colour (pure ethylene glycol is clear). The issues GM owners experienced with late 90's and early 00's models mainly with the 3.8 and 3.4 V6 engines where not the fault of the coolant or 2-EHA but rather a combination of poorly redesigned plastic manifold gasket, faulty radiator caps, and a lack of maintenance.

There are thousands of Pontiac Vibes running around with Dex-cool as the GM recommended replacement coolant with no issues in the Toyota powertain and cooling system. I run Dex-cool in the Yaris with no issues. If you're super concerned about it you can always change it, but flushing is not really required as the amount of coolant in the heater core is very small compared to what's in the radiator and engine block.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #14
kcanaj

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
I really would not worry about it and leave the fresh Dex-cool in there. Contrary to what many people will tell you, Toyota pink Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) and GM Dex-cool are nearly chemically identical as they are both ethylene gylcol based long life OAT coolant. The main difference being Toyota SLLC has some phosphate added and uses sebacate rather than 2-EHA has the main organic acid corrosion inhibitor. The other difference is the colour of dye added to achieve Toyota's pink colour and Dex-cool's orange colour (pure ethylene glycol is clear). The issues GM owners experienced with late 90's and early 00's models mainly with the 3.8 and 3.4 V6 engines where not the fault of the coolant or 2-EHA but rather a combination of poorly redesigned plastic manifold gasket, faulty radiator caps, and a lack of maintenance.

There are thousands of Pontiac Vibes running around with Dex-cool as the GM recommended replacement coolant with no issues in the Toyota powertain and cooling system. I run Dex-cool in the Yaris with no issues. If you're super concerned about it you can always change it, but flushing is not really required as the amount of coolant in the heater core is very small compared to what's in the radiator and engine block.
Thank you B.B. 07 I appreciate it!
kcanaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Does anyone know how much coolant I should buy if I just want to drain and refill the radiator? Also is do I just simply unscrew the drain plug, or is there some trick to getting it off? Thanks!
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgblues View Post
Does anyone know how much coolant I should buy if I just want to drain and refill the radiator? Also is do I just simply unscrew the drain plug, or is there some trick to getting it off? Thanks!
Total coolant capacity is 4.7/4.8L (AT/MT), however since some coolant will remain in the engine block and heater core a regular 3.78L jug is more than enough. I prefer the concentrate over the premix since you get double the coolant for a few dollars more. Just need to turn the drain petcock at the bottom of the rad.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
chrisgblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
Total coolant capacity is 4.7/4.8L (AT/MT), however since some coolant will remain in the engine block and heater core a regular 3.78L jug is more than enough. I prefer the concentrate over the premix since you get double the coolant for a few dollars more. Just need to turn the drain petcock at the bottom of the rad.
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
chrisgblues

I drained and refilled the coolant in the radiator a few weeks ago. Easiest job I ever did on a car! I just had to top it up a couple times the following day as the air worked it's way through the system, but now it's great. I know I didn't get the stuff in the heater core, but I figure it's about 3/4 changed so that's better than nothing. Also I found the OEM pink coolant at Canadian Tire on sale for $16.99 a gallon! Only needed 1 gallon to do the radiator.