Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Rear Drums Squeaking

I recently had the emergency brake adjusted by the dealer. Since then, when I take my foot of the brake pedal (say at a stop light or rolling in traffic), I'm getting a squeak. If I put the e-brake on and do the same thing with the brake pedal—no noise.

Any idea what needs to be adjusted?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Nothing needs to be adjusted. The shoes are likely rubbing against the backing plate. When you take your foot off of the brake pedal the shoes return to their normal resting place. They each have three contact points with the backing plate.

All you have to do is remove the rear drums, and slightly lift the shoes away from the backing plate. You don't have to remove the shoes (which is kind of a pain in the ass). You'll be able to the where the squeaking is coming from. Lightly lube those points with lithium grease. You'll be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
I had some squeaking. I removed the drums and cleaned everything out with brake cleaner and it helped. Just spray that stuff on everything
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
You really need a little lube in there on the contact points.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote