Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Clutch issues?

Hi there,
recently (~41kMi/67000km), I noticed a small squeak when engaging the clutch.
(I'm suspecting the bearing here)

Also, I have to release the pedal quite far to disengage it (or is that a hydraulic operated clutch feature? )
I have tried starting off in 2nd gear, if I really rev the engine up it's possible, but otherwise I'll stall it.
I could not get it to slip at all by suddenly depressing the accelerator.
Is it really worn out already?

Final question:
Maybe I'll have to do some work on the clutch.
As I have access to a car lift and work is expensive here, I want to do it on my own and wonder how hard it is to push the halfway unscrewed transaxle aside.
Do I really have to snap out the axle rings?

I have a different engine than most of you, but hopefully the 5speed MT is similar enough to yours to give a useful advice
Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Hi there,
recently (~41kMi/67000km), I noticed a small squeak when engaging the clutch.
(I'm suspecting the bearing here)

Also, I have to release the pedal quite far to disengage it (or is that a hydraulic operated clutch feature? )
I have tried starting off in 2nd gear, if I really rev the engine up it's possible, but otherwise I'll stall it.
I could not get it to slip at all by suddenly depressing the accelerator.
Is it really worn out already?

Final question:
Maybe I'll have to do some work on the clutch.
As I have access to a car lift and work is expensive here, I want to do it on my own and wonder how hard it is to push the halfway unscrewed transaxle aside.
Do I really have to snap out the axle rings?

I have a different engine than most of you, but hopefully the 5speed MT is similar enough to yours to give a useful advice

unless u have no idea how to drive stick ur clutch is fine the squeak is more then likely from the bushings links my does it all the time lube will help...also u gone need to drop the trans out in order to do the clutch have the fly wheel machined and so on ...taking off in second gear with revs up is really bad for ur clutch im at 165oookm on original with no problems .

Best idea is take to a shop before speculations and assumptions
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
dj92
Embracing Curves

I'm driving stick for almost 6 years now, the squeak is very short and does not appear when I'm just shifting without the engine running.
If I remember correctly, it also does not come from the clutch cylinders or the arm itself, it just happens when I engage the clutch after I have shifted.

In the DIY shop I use to got to, they also have a transmission support exactly for tasks like this.

I just take off in second gear when I'm at a stop light and have forgotten to shift down to 1 (happens about 10 times a year).
Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Like exi said, it's likely just in need of some lithium grease either on the links or bushing. I'm not super impressed by the Yaris M/T, the clutch shudders when cold and it is not nearly as smooth as others i have driven. That being said, I have 138,000km on the original clutch and it has yet to show any slippage so I can't complain.

I plan on installing a different clutch later down the road. I thought it was possible to replace the clutch by removing the trans mount and putting a jack underneath the trans to slightly shift it out of the way? This is obviously if you don't have a lift
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
dj92
Embracing Curves

Today I have had the windows open and operated both stick and clutch pedal while the engine was not running, but there was no squeak at all.
Iirc, I have already looked for the questionable bushings, but my MT looks different from yours there.

I know that I'll have to push the trans aside.
What I don't know and would like to is whether this is possible without unmounting the axles.
I do not trust the maintenance manual as it would even want me to throw out the windshield if I just wanted to get the dash out.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
I had a 2005 Echo with the 5 speed. I taught 3 of my kids to drive stick on it and sold it after 377,000 Kms.

I replaced the clutch at about 320,000 Km (if I remember correctly). I agree with the shudder being annoying but the clutch worked great for me. When I finally replaced it (before it started slipping) the flywheel was still within tolerance and did not need to be machined.

I dropped the transmission and except for an extra pair of hands needed when lifting the transmission back I did the job myself. The clutch slave cylinder can be removed and nylon tied out of the way without disconnecting the lines and needing to rebleed the system (if you're careful). The axles do need to be removed but that's easy enough just drain the oil first.

Cheers.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
CharityStripe

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I just recently passed 100,000 miles and within a three week span my clutch is starting to tremble and slip already. That's ridiculous to me. I'm driving a 2007 sedan. I take great care of the car and find it hard to believe that the clutch already is falling apart, and in such a short timespan it seems. I live in the Northeast so yes we have brutal winters and tons of salt but I regularly wash the underbody.
CharityStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
colj00
DIYer

Drives: yaris 1.5 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityStripe View Post
I just recently passed 100,000 miles and within a three week span my clutch is starting to tremble and slip already. That's ridiculous to me. I'm driving a 2007 sedan. I take great care of the car and find it hard to believe that the clutch already is falling apart, and in such a short timespan it seems. I live in the Northeast so yes we have brutal winters and tons of salt but I regularly wash the underbody.
100,000 miles is about the right time for a clutch to start slippin'

if anything yours lasted longer than most people. prepare to fork out 800 or so for a new one or do it yourself for about 150.
colj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
CharityStripe

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
100,000 miles is about the right time for a clutch to start slippin'

if anything yours lasted longer than most people. prepare to fork out 800 or so for a new one or do it yourself for about 150.

So soon? My sister had a 1992 Corolla with the same shifter and gearbox and the clutch lasted quite nicely up until about 190,000 miles.

Is that a common theme among the Yaris or do other manual compact cars experience the same clutch-wear?
CharityStripe is offline   Reply With Quote