Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Chip Whitley

Drives: 2007 Auto Hatchback
Should I service my transmission on my '07 Yaris?

My Yaris is a 2007 Hatchback model with auto trans and 166,000 miles. I recently took it to a local quick service shop called Grease Monkey for an oil change. Unlike Jiffy Lube they always have a mechanic on site so I asked him if he could go over the car and tell me if it needs anything else. He came back and told me it needs a new drive (serpentine) belt, a tune up and a "transmission service". He then walked me out to my car and showed me that the transmission fluid was brown and had a slight burnt smell to it.

I opted to only have the oil change done that day as I'll take care of the tune up and drive belt here shortly, but what should I do about the transmission fluid? I know you have to use a special Toyota only trans fluid so how can they offer this service and not use the specific fluid? Also, I was always raised to never touch or service a transmission with high mileage as long as it's shifting fine, but this is the nicest car I've had in a while and I really want to take care of it. I just got the car last month and have no idea if the trans fluid has ever been touched. What should I do? They want $200 for the "transmission service" btw.
Chip Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote