Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
rear corner windows fogging

i found that when it's colder or raining, those windows tend to fog up quicker than usual and not sure how to un-fog them. any ideas?

the side windows generally tend to fog up often too.. do you get that?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
If you are running on re-circulated air setting this will happen, try using the exterior air setting, or turn on the A/C, it will help to de fog...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
wushumasterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
If you are running on re-circulated air setting this will happen, try using the exterior air setting, or turn on the A/C, it will help to de fog...
funny thing is, i am running exterior air already. and also turned on A/C. but not to max.. maybe setting 2. the fog still remains. maybe my exterior/re-cir is broken?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
YarisBueller
Administrator

Hmm usually, keeping ure heating at a comfortable position and simply pressing the a/c button would do the trick. This sounds weird. When you press the A/C button, do you feel the air quality change and get a little cooler if you put your hand right up to the vent ?
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
wushumasterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller
Hmm usually, keeping ure heating at a comfortable position and simply pressing the a/c button would do the trick. This sounds weird. When you press the A/C button, do you feel the air quality change and get a little cooler if you put your hand right up to the vent ?
a/c will get the air dryer am i correct?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
is it fogging on the inside or the outside?

if its fogging on the outside, its means that the temperature inside the car is colder than the ambient temperature outside. this will only also happen if there is enough water (when its cold or raining) in the air such that the water precipitates on the outside of the window.

what i do: nothing, i just let the rain wash it away or i switch on the wipers. if its on the side windows, i just roll it down and roll it back up again. :)

if its fogging on the inside, it means that the temperature outside the car is colder than on the inside. it is the same effect of you breathing on a mirror. this is usually true if its cold outside, you have 2 or more occupants, and the heater is on.

what i do: for the rear, i turn on the defogger. for the front and sides, i turn the a/c to the lowest cold setting. this will clear up the fogging from the inside.

alternatively, you can check if your door seals are ok. or maybe one of the doors are not fully closed, etc.

i think climate control in those luxury cars fix this kind of situations.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
By experimenting, I have devised a method to clear up fogging in the inside without having to switch on the A/C. For fogging on the windshield, I will use the two side vent outlets' adjustments to direct the air currents to the position on the windshield in front of the back of the rear view mirror, and for fogging on the side windows, I will direct the currents to them. May be that will work for other members too. But note, the exterior air setting must be used and the fan must be swithed on(positions 1-4). For serious conditions, use the defog settings and the A/C.

Last edited by swng; 01-18-2006 at 06:11 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
what about the defroster!?
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
swng

Do you mean the defog settings on the air flow selector? If yes, please refer to my last post and most importantly the owner's manual. The Yaris does have defog functions that perform adequately, especially when combined with the A/C. What I said in my last post was that my experiments had shown me that without using the defog settings and/or the A/C, I would still be able to defog. Well, up to a point. Please note also that the manual(for Canadians, page163) does advise against blowing cold air on the windshield on humid days. So, please use warm air only. Also, please do not confuse the defog settings on the air flow selector with the rear window defogger switch in the centre of the cold/warm selector(page 107 of the Canadian manual). That one is for heating up the rear window to defog or defrost it. It has nothing to do with the windshield and the side windows.

PS-The owner's manual in the US may be different from the one in Canada. I just don't know.

Last edited by swng; 01-19-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Whenever the air position selector is in the defrost or defrost/floor position, the AC will automatically cycle on and off. The AC evaporator removes humidity as well as heat in the cabin. Thats why in modern cars it is not necessary to physically turn on the AC when in defrost. To save some fuel if you do not require heavy defrosting, turn the selector knob past the defrost/floor position toward the floor position, this will not make the AC compressor cycle.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
swng

I believe yariman is right. In fact, the purpose of my post on 1-18-06 was to report to members an experimental way to defog without involving the A/C in one way or another. I have tried that method on mildly cold and humid days and it seemed to work for me. If that method continues to work, a significant amount of fuel will be saved in the long run. I would take this opportunity to clarify that the method I described in my previous posts do not require the air flow selector to be in any of the defog positions and so the A/C will not be switched on. Also, cars without A/C do not need my method because the defog positions on them will not cause additional fuel to be burned by A/C anyway. For those cars, the defog positions may be used any time when justified without much concern about additional fuel consumption.

Last edited by swng; 01-20-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Good idea Swng using the side vents to blow on the side windows to defog them. When the side vents are open though, you will take some air force away from the winshield outlet. I find the fan has to be on at least 3 to keep everything clear when not using the AC. Hey, whatever works! This is what the forum is all about, sharing info, ideas etc.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
swng

Fortunately, position 3 is still not too noisy, but 4 is. Really appreciate the sharing of your precious experience. I think the exchange has been very meaningful.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
wushumasterku

hey folks, thanks for all the ideas, appreciate it, will try it next time it rains
Old 01-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
wushumasterku

i tried it last night.. setting to the defog position (between the defog windshield and defog windshield and heat the foot).. it worked not bad when people started talking too much and the windows were fogging up. will continue to try in rainy situations.