Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
the_teach
Toyota Lover

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Exclamation no start: engine immobilizer random issues

Alrighty so i'll start this post off with a HI! to everyone here :)

A little background on my car - It is an 09 4-Door Sedan in Canada, Automatic, Power features and a/c. ( LE package i believe ). It has 345,000 Kms of roughly 90% city driving ( was a work car ). No CEL's on ( ever ). New fuel pump, alternator, MAF, throttle body, and transmission (last 3 weren't needed was chasing problem #2 below). EDIT: both keys have new batteries in them ;)

The issue: Randomly, could be twice in a month, or once every 8 months the car will not start. Previous owner had the code pulled at the dealership - who couldn't figure it out - and it said engine immobilizer ( anti-theft ). The weirdest thing though for this problem is that after sitting for 30min - 2 hours the car will start again and act like nothing ever happened. No strange lights on the dash or anything. Wouldn't know it ever happened. Also it will not do this on a dead cold start, only after it has been shut off for half to an hour.

This issue is getting seriously annoying as it happened again. Looking for any and all leads into it.

Second Issue: If you drive at a constant light acceleration from 40km to 70km/h the engine surges ( tach ) up and down by a few hundred rpm and the car moves with it. So far changed MAF, Throttle Body, and as of the advice of others - the whole transmission ( they thought it was a sensor on it ). Any ideas here would help too. I'm personally leaning towards possibly an 02 sensor.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
How are you even getting around with all that snow this winter? (I'm in Nova Scotia BTW)

For the immobilizer problem:
If it was me and I wasn't sure of the history of the car I'd be looking for electrical mods that were made to the harness (car starter, stereo...) and looking for faulty connections.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
the_teach
Toyota Lover

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
no electrical mods. and no auto-starts.

never started at alll yesterday so this time was different from when i posted. ( went back out later and tried for a while ).

i'm leaning towards the integration relay causing the problems with a bad fuel relay circuit. will change out and post back.

and good to see some fellow maritimers around!! the snow is crazy!! thank god for brand new goodyear winters
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I had a car that would randomly not start after shutting it off.
Let it cool would start and run fine. It was a worn spot on a cable. It would heat up
and become pliable and short against the battery tray.
Next time it won't start check for spark or spray some starter fluid in the intake
and see if it fires.
Crude but effective.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
Does the immobilizer light flash on the dash or is it solidly lit (Or out)?

Start with this and see if it helps.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...obilizer+start
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine immobilizer, surging