Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Throttle Lag On DBW

Im noticing the DBW throttle lag on my 09 Yaris something fierce. Its especially bad in tight parking situations. You push and push on the pedal and nothing happens. When it does kick in the car lurches forward. This cant be good for the drivetrain longterm!
Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
search the forum, its been covered about 2000 times
agreed
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
i never notice it, i have a manual, is it more noticeable on the auto
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
i never notice it, i have a manual, is it more noticeable on the auto
yes. combine throttle lag with torque converter lag and you'd better push the pedal a FULL second before you want the car to start moving. (found this out at autocross lol)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
bronsin

Theres a construction detour on my trip to work. To get around it I make an illegal left hand turn through heavy traffic. (dont worry its Camden NJ where schoolgirls get raped standing in line for the bus) When that gap opens man you gotta be QUICK! And this car is trying to make up its mind what to do. Its so much easier when I drive my 2001 ECHO!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theres a construction detour on my trip to work. To get around it I make an illegal left hand turn through heavy traffic. (dont worry its Camden NJ where schoolgirls get raped standing in line for the bus) When that gap opens man you gotta be QUICK! And this car is trying to make up its mind what to do. Its so much easier when I drive my 2001 ECHO!
.........which wasn't an automatic ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
bronsin

I dont know how people drive a stick with this abortion. It must be difficult to co ordinate the throttle and clutch pedals.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
I dont know how people drive a stick with this abortion. It must be difficult to co ordinate the throttle and clutch pedals.
i'm not sure what the big deal is, it drives just fine (auto and manual) to me..
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
everytime i see the dbw thread it makes me almost wanna get the blitz throttle controller or sprint booster..almost.. i had someone locally tried it on his automatic he said theres no difference..i guess that depends on how you drive ur car.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Mine's got nice snappy response. At very light throttle it switches back and forth between DFCO and power just above idle, but has no noticeable lag when throttle's applied. I wonder if some are feeling the DFCO kick in and thinking it's a defect?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
bronsin

Not sure what that is. The problem is: you push on the gas pedal and the car doesnt move until you push harder. Just how hard takes a while to figger out. My wifes 05 Camry is the same way. My 01 ECHO (cable) doesnt do that.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
ABsolutely NO throttle response problem with my 08 manual. Cant even tell its DBW. Maybe a reflash is needed or available. My car is stock and fast and I didnt screw up my car with Go-slow mods like headers and CAI that just ruin how it runs. I just saw chinocharles 0-60 on youtube and it was not too good. I think im in the 7 sec range easy on good gas. If i figue out how to set up the digital camera I'll make a viddy and U can see if im FOS or not.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
marcus
toyota

7 seconds..???? he maybe be sleeping while posting this..lolz... stock yaris faster than mitsubishi ralliart or mazda3 gt .....hmmmm
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i know for a fact that the Yaris bone stock with 17lbs wheels wrapped with 195/55/15 will do 10.1sec 0-100km/h. And i have data to back it up , search it or ask Thomas to shoot you the file
im aware of that..people even did 8.5 sec 0-60 mi/hr / 0-97 km/hr but 7 sec?? were talking about the guy who does 7 secs on a stock yaris 0-100km/hr ..must be going down hill..
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Not sure what that is. The problem is: you push on the gas pedal and the car doesnt move until you push harder. Just how hard takes a while to figger out. My wifes 05 Camry is the same way. My 01 ECHO (cable) doesnt do that.
DFCO is Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. Whenever you're coasting with the engine turning much above idle speed, the fuel is completely cut off for zero emissions and zero fuel consumption. That of course drags the car down a bit faster than coasting with an idling engine. As you press the gas pedal, there's a slight free play before it recognizes that you want some power, and when the fuel cuts on it's slightly above the idle power level. You'll feel a small surge forward, and when you back off and the fuel cuts off again, there's a sudden slight deceleration. Like I said, if you're cruising slowly on level ground where very little power's needed, you'll feel it surging and dragging as it cuts the fuel on and off. That's normal behavior. The old Echo's ECU was much less sophisticated and didn't have this feature. Automatic Yarises up through about the middle of the 2007 model year didnt have it in Drive, either.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #16
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
DFCO is Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. Whenever you're coasting with the engine turning much above idle speed, the fuel is completely cut off for zero emissions and zero fuel consumption. That of course drags the car down a bit faster than coasting with an idling engine. As you press the gas pedal, there's a slight free play before it recognizes that you want some power, and when the fuel cuts on it's slightly above the idle power level. You'll feel a small surge forward, and when you back off and the fuel cuts off again, there's a sudden slight deceleration. Like I said, if you're cruising slowly on level ground where very little power's needed, you'll feel it surging and dragging as it cuts the fuel on and off. That's normal behavior. The old Echo's ECU was much less sophisticated and didn't have this feature. Automatic Yarises up through about the middle of the 2007 model year didnt have it in Drive, either.
really? my 01 5spd has dfco, and i never really notice when it switches... the only reason i am sure that i have dfco is from one of the hypermiling threads... the "shut-off" test...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I don't think my daughter's '01 with AT did. (At least in "Drive.") But you'll be able to feel it if it does. It's really pretty subtle, not a great lurch. You have to pay attention to it.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
ABsolutely NO throttle response problem with my 08 manual. Cant even tell its DBW. Maybe a reflash is needed or available. My car is stock and fast and I didnt screw up my car with Go-slow mods like headers and CAI that just ruin how it runs. I just saw chinocharles 0-60 on youtube and it was not too good. I think im in the 7 sec range easy on good gas. If i figue out how to set up the digital camera I'll make a viddy and U can see if im FOS or not.
i barely hit 6 seconds on boost lol.
you nailed it sir.