Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Those numbers are more in line with what I expected. Get a vacuum/boost gauge while you are at it.
I am getting an autometer cobalt series boost/vacuum, oil pressure, and wideband a/f.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Blitz did do R & D, and many USA owners are enjoying their extra power without issues. The weird thing is that the people experiencing problems are all having slightly DIFFERENT results. No pattern, really -- unless you see one I can't see? What I do see is that the blitz kit was added to modified cars in every case.

Unless there is variability in the fuel controller from unit to unit (unlikely) or there is variability in the install and mistakes were made (also unlikely), this is not going to be easy for Blitz to solve. I would not think they would provide a different map for each owner's unique set of readings.

This is an R&D session, please understand that it probably won't be a quick fix.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
what I wouldn't understand is why would blitz not figure other mods would be done. No one really goes I'm going to get a supercharger first then the rest only on rare occurences. If your buying a supercharger you aren't buying it for fuel economy your getting it to aide your lead foot. And either way if what your saying is correct then anyone with the kit can only run the kit and cannot add anything. I'm just offering possiblities. This whole thing is just weird. I actually want to know where the chargers were purchased from if it's the same place cause they could have sent a defective batch. It's extremely rare but it does happen.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

So they are supposed to try and create some universal map to account for every combination of aftermarket mods? That sounds problematic to me.

The weird thing for me is that only a few people are experiencing problems, and the problems aren't consistent.

The chargers were purchased from Blitz in Japan, it's the only place they are made.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #23
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
I wasn't talking about Blitz from japan I was asking where in the US ie what vendor. And I know its problematic to do a map for every app and I was not implying that but having a selection of a few wouldn't have been extremely difficult either.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
laszlo

Drives: 2007 black 3 dr
i have always had a spark nock in my car from the beginning i use 91
so i took my car back to blitz and they changed the map and it ran better no nocking but i think that the car got used to the map and now it is back
now i run 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest 91. but now my car seems
to be miss firing when hit the boast. but when you turn the s/c off it runs fine you can punch it with no studering at all i have gold air light pulleys header
exhauest. i am taking my car back to blitz on the 18th hope they can fix it
thanks laszlo
laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #25
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
I wasn't talking about Blitz from japan I was asking where in the US ie what vendor. And I know its problematic to do a map for every app and I was not implying that but having a selection of a few wouldn't have been extremely difficult either.
ztrack, if you mean what vendor did many of us buy our kits from then you were talking to him, cali yaris

I for one appreciate your concern, but for the sake of those of us with an actual vested interest in the outcome, can we please keep this information gathering thread on topic?

Discussion of symptoms and thoughts as to causes is potentially useful here, but random speculation about the manufacturer or vendor is not.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #26
ae92trueno7

Drives: 2007 Yaris Supercharged
mods- aem cold air intake, nst crank pulley, using factory plugs, using 93 octane gas and stp octane booster, 2.25" exhaust pipe and aftermarket muffler
boost-8psi-10psi
problem-pinging noise when in low setting at lower rpm...

i'm thinking of getting abit larger fuel injectors to see if the pinging noise goes away....
ae92trueno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I actually want to know where the chargers were purchased from if it's the same place cause they could have sent a defective batch.
To be more clear: Six kits were sent to me so far (I think) from Blitz. Laszlo's and YarisDarkness kits did not come through me. Symptoms are independent of when they were sent or by whom.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #28
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
i have always had a spark nock in my car from the beginning i use 91
so i took my car back to blitz and they changed the map and it ran better no nocking but i think that the car got used to the map and now it is back
now i run 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest 91. but now my car seems
to be miss firing when hit the boast. but when you turn the s/c off it runs fine you can punch it with no studering at all i have gold air light pulleys header
exhauest. i am taking my car back to blitz on the 18th hope they can fix it
thanks laszlo
Well that must be accommadating. Did they change your map because you were the car representing their company?

Would they be willing to do a map that meets our mods?

do you got any dyno charts or A/F readings?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Maybe someone who is seeing a lean condition could swap the stock air box back on and see if they are getting the same problem, if they do then that would rule out the stock air box theory.
YES PLEASE
Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Ok Garm thats what I wanted to know. And Jo other then symptoms right now all you have is random speculation cause the problem hasn't been found. I think even blitz can't find a way around our ECU's without replacing them with a stand alone. I'm done posting here back to what garm intended it for.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #31
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
YES PLEASE
I can do this once I get my gauges (which I haven't bought yet). hah.

If noogie doesn't want to do it, we'll just have to wait until I do it....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #32
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
I think even blitz can't find a way around our ECU's without replacing them with a stand alone.
I'm afraid you may be right, I've been cursing the cleverness of the ECM for two years now The effect of it's adapability is just much more pronounced with the supercharger... if I vary my driving style for even a day (say, slow-poking along at revs consistently below 2500) I can sense the slight adjustments it's made (drop in idle speed, rough running, etc). When its running well though, I couldn't ask for better, smoother, more predictable performance.

I guess I'm just really impressed that Blitz has managed to deal with the intricately efficient, dynamic fuel system as well as they have! It seems to me the current fuel map functions well within reasonable tolerances of performance and safety, but I can't speak for others. However, if they can come up with a better map that takes my intake/exhaust mods into greater account, then I'll be more than happy to experiment with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Wonder if they can come up with some kind of adjustable in-cabin Fuel Control Module replacement...
Excellent idea maybe on the model of the activation switch itself, with a few pre-set fuel map choices to match mod level and driving style, such as Safe and Sane, Not So Sane, and Friggin Maniac
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #33
PETERPOOP

OooOo that'd be ideal.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #34
PETERPOOP

I just realized something, and you guys probably already brought this up, but I just realized Noogie and I are the only ones experiencing lean conditions with the s/c. We are also the only guys using the aFe intake with the kits. Is this true?

Noogie put your stock air filter on and give us some numbers!

My gauges are ordered but won't come in until tuesday!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #35
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
my question is, what was Blitz's target AFR under boost? They hsould know best what it should be, and the SC owners can then compare their results.

I mean, it is a relatively low amount of boost, it may make sense that Blitz didn't see the need to enrichen the mixture so much?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Guys, It sounds like Blitz did not do enough R&D to check compatability with other aftermarket parts (intakes specifically)

You guys really just need something extra (piggyback etc.) to tune the car with. I'm not sure Blitz is really going to be able to help with that.

The TRD superchargers are very similar to the Blitz units (roots SC and a fuel controller box wired in) and they do not have these types of issues.

Those with intakes -

Measure the ID of you intake piping where the MAF mounts and compare this to the stock intake.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote