Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
A Look Inside of the DD S2b Amplifier

Here's some closeups of one of the S2b's:

Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Good SQ amp?

Intended use?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm using two of these in my system. One is intended to push my L6SE mid bass speakers and the other will push my ML3800 sub woofer.

Both will be running at 4 Ohms.

SQ? They're presented by the company as being "SQ". We'll find out. The reason I chose them over another Audison product was time lines, a US company, and the power availability of the line I chose.

I'll probably be hooking up power later in July to test.

Remember, before anyone goes out and buys one of the S2B's, there three feet long! They're monsters. They also EAT POWER! They are a classic A/B design topology. If anyone recalls the older Kicker ZR1000 amps? These are even bigger. Each of these amps has a 200 ampere outboard fuse requirement.

I won't be pushing them that hard to ever need the 200 Amp fuses BUT, this combination of amps I've chosen means I need a better alternator...Yes, I have ordered one.

I see the sole purpose of these amps as putting out clean monstrous power. I've got everything else as good as I can get it at this level. The amplifiers are going to help this little Yaris be better than most (95% to 99%) of all other car audio sound systems in the world. I expect to be holding an IASCA world championship SQ trophy at some point with this setup.

...yes...

I said that.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I'm using two of these in my system. One is intended to push my L6SE mid bass speakers and the other will push my ML3800 sub woofer.

Both will be running at 4 Ohms.

SQ? They're presented by the company as being "SQ". We'll find out. The reason I chose them over another Audison product was time lines, a US company, and the power availability of the line I chose.

I'll probably be hooking up power later in July to test.

Remember, before anyone goes out and buys one of the S2B's, there three feet long! They're monsters. They also EAT POWER! They are a classic A/B design topology. If anyone recalls the older Kicker ZR1000 amps? These are even bigger. Each of these amps has a 200 ampere outboard fuse requirement.

I won't be pushing them that hard to ever need the 200 Amp fuses BUT, this combination of amps I've chosen means I need a better alternator...Yes, I have ordered one.

I see the sole purpose of these amps as putting out clean monstrous power. I've got everything else as good as I can get it at this level. The amplifiers are going to help this little Yaris be better than most (95% to 99%) of all other car audio sound systems in the world. I expect to be holding an IASCA world championship SQ trophy at some point with this setup.

...yes...

I said that.
Thanks

The amp looks like a nice welding machine ))))

Seriously, do you need this much power to your mid woofers?

I remember you posting somewhere you planned buying thesis - i know couple guys using them - both are quite happy.

Anyways.. you'll have a very interesting setup.. would be interesting to listen to some day
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

"Seriously, do you need this much power to your mid woofers?"

Pssht!

Of course I don't! But, for me it's like having the chance to drive a supercar every day. Do I need it? Not at all...but it's sure fun to have all that power at my disposal.

I'm looking for a decent amplifier with good control, a good S/N ratio, rugged engineering, a good power supply (this one has six) to easily work through transients....

Dynamic headroom. This is what I am after. These amplifiers will give me the ability to reproduce the strongest signal without distortion...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Looks like a science fiction preview movie!

NICE!

D.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I got the new kicks for the L6SE's about 90% done. I'll be finishing them off tomorrow. I've got to go get some thread serts for the baffles.