Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
New to CAI

Hi,

I wanna get a CAI for my Yari, I heard there is a TRD version are they any good? I know it increases horsepower(I don't mind), increases fuel efficiency and also sound differently?!?! Really?

Any suggestions on which one I should get, I am more biased towards TRD cuz I want to make sure everything 'works' in the car, but other suggestions are also welcomed.

I saw some CAI have covers that go over the circular thing, what's the use of that?
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
ok, usually the CAI consists of just a tube and a filter. some come with covers as to block off the warm air from the engine compartment.

most of the non TRD ones are fine and do almost the exact same job. the difference is you aren't paying toyota for their shiny red color (some will argue this point I am sure)

usually aftermarket intakes are louder. you can hear the motor sucking the air in. sounds kind of like riding down the road with your window cracked a bit (might be a bad analogy). I don't think you are going to see much of a difference either way with fuel economy. the power will probably only be marginal as well.

we had a long talk about the power difference from many of these add-ons at work the other day. you see a descent amount of difference when you are at or near redline but in the range where you usuall function, there really isn't that much of a difference. I have heard that you gain about 4hp from the intake. that 4hp is at 6000+ rpms. I usually keep it around or under 2500. I wouldn't see much difference at all.

realize though that all the small differences really do add up if you are willing to put the time and effort into it.

all that being said, if I were going to get one, I would go with the one from microimage. mine is the 1.5 liter motor (I think canada is the same but check first).

http://shop.microimageonline.com/aFe...L-51-11302.htm

they are highly thought of on this forum and there is a guy that frequents the forums named garm (screen name caliyaris) that has answered a lot of my questions. he is a good one to hit up.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
US and Canada are both USDM spec for the most part and all parts are interchangeable.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Thanks for mentioning us.

Any major brand is going to work fine (Fujita, AEM, Injen, AFE, etc.). I personally stay away from no-brand Chinese product you see on eBay, but some have had good results with even that. As stated, it's basically a tube and a filter.

1. Make sure the quality of the filter is good, or you'll be replacing it quickly. It's part of the kit -- you paid for it!
2. Make sure the MAF flange is well-made and forms a good seal with your sensor assembly (#1 cause of CELs with a cold air intake!)

Quote:
I know it increases horsepower(I don't mind), increases fuel efficiency and also sound differently?!?! Really?
Yes, really! Note: We are happy to ship to Canada!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote