Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #91
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
if the 2zrfe bolts to the yaris transmission, it should make for an easier swap.
The 1.8L Matrix (1st gen?) has a C59 trans, which has pretty much identical mounting holes to the C50/C56. I've got one of each on a workbench at school that I can take pictures of at some point.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #92
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
anyone swap 1.8L VVTL-i 180hp engine in the Yaris yet. I would like to know about the fitment and requirement. Thanks!
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #93
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
Personally, I am interested in the 4A-GE swap; I have a disassembled 4A that I took out of my MR2 sitting in storage, as well as a C52(?) transmission from a JDM AE92 Corolla.
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #94
2greek4u

Drives: 2008 5HB LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The 1.8L Matrix (1st gen?) has a C59 trans, which has pretty much identical mounting holes to the C50/C56. I've got one of each on a workbench at school that I can take pictures of at some point.
I'm a new member on this Forum....but I have been forever on Newcelica.org( as "many"). I know the 2ZZ-GE inside and out. I know for a fact that the 1zz uses the C59 transmission and that one bolts up to the 2zz perfectly fine. So a 2ZZ swap wouldn't that hard...."IF" the C50/C56 has the same bolt pattern as the C59.
Of course there's the obvious engine supports that would need to be fabricated.
Bodywork modified/fortified(the subframe on the Yaris looks wimpy compared to the Celica).

You would need the Celica harness to be able to run the Power FC (Standalone) for the ecu.

The only hard part would be the axles fitting the hubs and finding a good 2ZZ with a C60 trans.
But is it worth.... it maybe not!.......but It does have "the" cool factor.
2greek4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #95
TURBO YARIS

Drives: Yaris
2zz has been done in many cars in Puerto Rico. Do a search, I did a post about 2 years ago. I go into detail what need to be done
TURBO YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #96
1nzfe pwr
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 yaris
ok i went and searched up something that put a smile on my face...you will see for yourself

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...me-help)/page2

a guy called raphael is from puertorico and did the 2zzge swap in his yaris,his friend commented on details of the swap. its the 19th post in this link. and makes it look not as complicated as we think.
1nzfe pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #97
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yea.. that was back in 2010... and no update on that thread... unfortunately. But definitely sounds doable. I would like to get the 2zr from the xD and boost that instead personally. I love boost so I want a motor that I can easily fit a turbo under the hood also. I am still saving up for something.. either boost 1nz or find a junk yard xD with the wire harness still in tact so I can look see how much the wiring will end up.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #98
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I've always been curious about importing the 2nz-fae from Europe or Japan makes a nuts 147 hp and 132 ft/lb tq and it should fit quite easily.

http://www.chukyogomu.com/new_page_14.htm
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #99
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I think you meant 2ZR-FAE. If this is the case, it'd be more feasible to source an engine from a Scion XD which is a 2ZR-FE.
Also used in Japan's Vitz RS. Not a whole lot of difference.
If you can find a JDM 1NZ-FE with factory turbo from a Toyota Vitz TRD Turbo M model, that would be even better! Similar HP in a 1.5 ltr engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VitzTurboM.jpg (321.1 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg VitzTurboM2.jpg (131.1 KB, 350 views)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #100
RXvedub

Drives: Echo
I have a suggestion for those wanting to swap. My front motor mount is a hybrid. Chassis half is Echo and motor half is Celica. I put a spacer in between because the motor sits higher in the echo than the celica.

Just sayin, it might work with 2zr-fe.

also, my transmission is a 6spd out of a JDM ae111 corola with a 2000 celica bell housing. hybrid again. I use an ae111 tranny because they have the same size axles. celica axles are thicker yoke.
RXvedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #101
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

yes I did mean 2zr...the FE doesn't seem worth while as a swap since I can easily buy an XD that already has the motor and the chassis with far less work.

I really wish the engine bay was large enough to take the 3mz engine that would be a cool swap.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #102
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
yes I did mean 2zr...the FE doesn't seem worth while as a swap since I can easily buy an XD that already has the motor and the chassis with far less work.

I really wish the engine bay was large enough to take the 3mz engine that would be a cool swap.
Yaris is 300lbs lighter, though
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #103
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Yaris is 300lbs lighter, though
personal opinion.. Yaris looks alot better.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #104
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
http://youtu.be/bRkxTpJXzEI

Randomly came across this...
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #105
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I'm not going to argue semantics but even if you did build your own T Sport you're still gaining close to 200 lbs and if I'm going to go through the hassle of a motor swap which I'm forced to gain weight Id rather do it for more than a 22 hp bump is all I'm saying.

And yes I don't like the look of the XD either.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #106
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I'm not going to argue semantics but even if you did build your own T Sport you're still gaining close to 200 lbs and if I'm going to go through the hassle of a motor swap which I'm forced to gain weight Id rather do it for more than a 22 hp bump is all I'm saying.

And yes I don't like the look of the XD either.
how are you gaining 200lbs? the engine weighs about 40lbs more than a 1nzfe

you gain as much weight as you do adding a blitz supercharger kit...i weighed mine when i had it.

intake/header/exhaust ive been seeing about 145whp/140wtq on corolla's...thats on 87 octane and on an oem ecu

i ran 135whp/130wtq with i/h/e and 91 octance on my yaris...

im not saying that an engine swap would be easy...it won't be. but oem reliable power is a plus in my books
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #107
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I was using the T sport as reference which weighs about 180lbs more than the standard car.

What corollas are you seeing that make 145 hp on 87 octane? I don't think I've seen a single corolla not powered by a 2zz make anywhere near that much power N/A but excluding that its still only 20 hp more and your adding weight in the worse possible place in front of the axle. I'm not saying a superchargers better but its substantially cheaper. Hell my competitor with a 1zz corolla didn't even break 125 and he built it to the limit of the rules.

If you take into account the cost of getting the ECU, Transmission, Engine, Axles, and accessories pus the time it takes to swap it it just doesn't feel like its worth it for such small gains.

If your dead set on swapping a motor getting the 2zz swapped would be a much better choice as the gains make sense plus the motor is far less limited than the 1zr and 1zz.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #108
thebarber
daily driver

2zrfre corollas on corolla9.com have been making it....if i recall correctly

castrex, a member on this board with a TS, pulled the dyno below

40lbs isnt THAT much to add to the front, and you'll be adding that with a supercharger and at least that with a turbo/intercooler setup

n/a 1zz's ive seen will top out about 140whp with cam's....and the cams really suck at low rpms

2zz is a great engine, but only really with the c60. the transmission case is longer than the engine bay is wide in the yaris, so you'll need to notch the frame for it to fit. can be done, but its not typically an in-your-driveway swap.

what im saying, is that since the 2zrfe is available and, in theory, bolts up to a standard yaris transmission, its a decent option for oem-reliable power (in my opinion). a "new" supercharger kit, if you can find it, are about $3200-3400, used about $2000. i still think the 2zrfe swap could be done for $1500-2000 if you can DIY

im still keeping watch for a yaris cheap enough for me to attempt an engine swap

castrex dyno