Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
xed

Drives: '08 Polar White 3dr
Req: Head unit suggestions.

Hi all.

I plan on getting a no option 08 Yaris LB and putting in a head unit and also replacing the stock speakers with new 6.5" in front and rear.

Requirements:
- I need a head unit that pushes 40w RMS x4 or more clean watts. Good clean power, not crap.

- I need the head unit to have a true good quality aux line-in. Either front or rear mounted line-in is fine but my first choice would be rear mounted so that I can hide wires.

- I do not need/want a unit which would allow me to control my ipod with the head unit controls. I like to have my ipod dash mounted where I can easily see and control it.

- I want a head unit that supports HD radio (not a requirement but would be nice)

That's it. Technically I don't even care if it didn't have a CD player and was radio only since all my portable music is on my ipod.

Does anyone know of any head units out there that would work for me?
xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nzc6Ozt...&pg=1&sortBy=3

Read the reviews. I currently have 2 Panansonic receivers and did own a Panasonic car deck that had a digital amp built in. They are all clean and powerful. I think these MOSFET powerstages are also "digital Amps" as well.

The big brother...
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CQ-C.../dp/B000MXV8DI
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
Well, I have been searching for a head unit for a week now and the highest RMS I've seen is 22. You are not talking about the peak power right? Otherwise, I don't even know if there is any head units out there that can give you 40w RMS...
Visit crutchfield.com for and click on overview to view the specifications of head units.
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
nsmitchell

The Pannny in my truck (CQ-C9700U) http://www.epinions.com/content_175474970244 had 60WX4 peak and it sounded awesome. No distortion either. It was also $400.00.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
xed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soner View Post
Well, I have been searching for a head unit for a week now and the highest RMS I've seen is 22. You are not talking about the peak power right? Otherwise, I don't even know if there is any head units out there that can give you 40w RMS...
Visit crutchfield.com for and click on overview to view the specifications of head units.
You're right. I guess 15w-22w RMS is what is out there. I guess I could always add an amp later if I felt I needed it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
i beg to differ, i got a panasonic cq-c8803u and it is rated at 70wx4 peak, 31w rms. features digital "t" class amp built in, hd ready, ipod ready, real sweet head unit.

detailed features

General features:
» CD receiver with built-in Class T amplifier (31 watts RMS/70 peak x 4 channels)
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files)
» motorized, fold-down, detachable face with color full-motion graphic display
» remote control

Audio features:
» SQ9 9-band equalizer with six preset sound curves
» SRS Circle Surround Automotive
» high- and low-pass filters with subwoofer level control

Expandability:
» compatible with optional Panasonic Bluetooth receiver, iPod adapter, satellite radio, CD changer
» inputs: auxiliary input (rear RCAs)
» outputs: three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever

Last edited by sdmf; 08-08-2007 at 04:31 AM.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i don't think you will ever find one HU that has 40w RMS :)
even my 700$ alpine HU comes with 27w RMS i think.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
xed

Digging around at Crutchfield I spotted this which looks promising...

http://12.4.198.138/S-dcc0m4N53Qm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&tab=detailed_info&i=257kdhdr1

20w x 4 RMS and it's MOSFET. It has HD Radio out of the box and I can plug up an ipod adapter to the cd changer input which will charge my ipod and transfer sound but nothing else. It doesn't deactivate or zombie my ipod. Best of all it's $200 at Crutchfield or a bit less on fleabay plus the cost of the ipod adapter.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X791

22W RMS/channel
50W peak/channel
Rear mounted auxiliary in
Rear mounted USB support (It's a USB cable that's about 1.6 meters, you can route it behind the dash or where ever. You can plug in USB thumb drives)
You can plug in your iPod to the USB cable; you would retain all controls on the iPod. (There's a separate cable accessory if you want the head unit to take all controls when the iPod is plugged in, but in your case this isn't necessary)
Support for HD radio

Short of your requirement for 40w RMS/channel, but I am afraid I haven't seen a head unit with +30w RMS/channel. If you require that sort of power rating, you might want to use a dedicated amplifier to power to your speakers instead of your using the deck's amplifier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qMMqMKT...p?i=113KDCX791

Last edited by bigsky2; 08-07-2007 at 10:24 PM.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i guess 31w rms is the closest to 40, panasonic is the way to go my friend.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
SiliconRane
Dr. Trunk Monkey

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
LOL, my 1000.00 IVA-W205 Alpine Head Unit only pushes out 16W x 4 RMS, but it can make your speakers and ears bleed with great sounding audio.
SiliconRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
i guess 31w rms is the closest to 40, panasonic is the way to go my friend.
Absolutely! Is your deck still available? That is the sweetest thing! How does it sound?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
i beg to differ, i got a panasonic cq-c8803u and it is rated at 70wx4 peak, 31w rms. features digital "t" class amp built in, hd ready, ipod ready, real sweet head unit.

detailed features

General features:
» CD receiver with built-in Class T amplifier (31 watts RMS/70 peak x 4 channels)
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files)
» motorized, fold-down, detachable face with color full-motion graphic display
» remote control

Audio features:
» SQ9 9-band equalizer with six preset sound curves
» SRS Circle Surround Automotive
» high- and low-pass filters with subwoofer level control

Expandability:
» compatible with optional Panasonic Bluetooth receiver, iPod adapter, satellite radio, CD changer
» inputs: auxiliary input (rear RCAs)
» outputs: three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs

The Class-T amplifier is what sets this apart from all other decks. This deck has no Digital to Analog conversion, everything down to the amplifiers are done with chips that are a quantum leap in audio quality. They can easily produce below 20hz and also easily go up to 50Khz. The company that made these wonderful chips (Tripath) is in Chapter 11 right now ( poor management probably). Texas Instruments also makes Digital Amps and sound processors (TI - PurePath). I hope Panasonic continues down the digital path forever!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
The Class-T amplifier is what sets this apart from all other decks. This deck has no Digital to Analog conversion, everything down to the amplifiers are done with chips that are a quantum leap in audio quality. They can easily produce below 20hz and also easily go up to 50Khz. The company that made these wonderful chips (Tripath) is in Chapter 11 right now ( poor management probably). Texas Instruments also makes Digital Amps and sound processors (TI - PurePath). I hope Panasonic continues down the digital path forever!

Why can't they design these head units nicer? Still much nicer than Yaris HU for sure though
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
nsmitchell

Well, they are the best decks on the market... if you don't want to install external amps. The digital amps are just perfect sounding. Match it with some Panasonic speakers, they are incredible and not overpriced: http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...sp_default.asp

and you will have a perfect sounding system. Sounds too good to be true, but it is true. The cq-c8803u is so configurable, you can shape it to any sound you want. Other decks just can't compete with their analog circuits.

Digital amps are also way more efficent, 95%+. vs 40% to 60% for conventional amps. That means more power to your speakers and less heat generated. Also less load on your alternator, so better MPG! (that last claim about MPG is a stretch, but possible) hehe
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Panasonic says "I needed a stereo."

Alpine says "I know my stereos."

ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
nsmitchell

Alpine has never impressed me. Alpine does or did use digital amps (MRD-F752 ). A lot of "stereo guys" aren't even familiar with digital amps, or call them class-d. When mine was installed at Circuit City, they guy called it an average deck, I told him, just wait until you hear it. After about a month of tweaking, he and I did some critical listening and he was astonished. He thought I had a sub or some other amps. I said nope, all head unit. He was just shaking his head and said that was far and away the best head unit he had ever heard. A Crutchfield article was basically the same story. An editor put one in his Jeep and he said he would never remove it to test another stereo.

Links:
This was my old head unit.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...0u.html?page=1

Digital Amps explained...
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ew.html?page=4
Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Panasonic says "I needed a stereo."

Alpine says "I know my stereos."

Alpines were good back in the day but now they just dont do it for me, panasonic has stepped up their game and i was really impressed with the power output and its features. if you want something that says i needed a stereo get a jensen or pyle. if you want clarity and robust power go with the panny. btw panasonic is a sponsor of the toyota f1 car, pretty sweet seeing a toyota on the screen too.