Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
*MAD DOG*'S Visiting Hawaii Apr-May 2011

Hey all,

I'm coming to Hawaii for a holiday between Apr-May 2011. I won a competiton on television,

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhJPu7eEixY

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od2fzdRtoqQ

Anyway, my wife and I will be staying in Honolulu. Do you, the locals have any suggestions on good hotels and places to shop and things to do on Oahu.
We have been to mainland USA before, but never to Hawaii.

Really looking forward to it and your suggestions.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~
 
yarisugi's Avatar
 
Drives: Me: Nuts:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ハワイ
Posts: 2,006
Congrats MAD DOG! I would think that the show provides you with a place to stay.
There are many many many hotels here so you might have to elaborate on what you mean by "good". I'll give you some hotels that are near the shores that are popular and good - Sheraton Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef on the Beach, on the higher end would be Halekulani Hotel.

Most popular places to shop would be Ala Moana Shopping Center (largest on Oahu). The place you'll probably be staying would be Waikiki, where most tourists stay. There are less "touristy" places but not sure what you're interested in.

You got quite some time to plan, but congrats on your win! I wonder, if you had crushed your paper into a ball and just threw it would you have won also? lol.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
fujiwaru
 
fujiwaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 237
Congratulations Mad DOG!!! That was some pro paper airplane flying you did haha

Like yarisugi said earlier there are lots of good hotels to stay at and lots of things to do around the island. Waikiki is most likely where you will be staying and any of the hotels there are good but the ones yarisugi mentioned are the best.

But you guys have lots of time to plan out what you will be doing so do a little research here and there and you can also ask us about anything and we will be happy to help you out!!
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Congrats MAD DOG! I would think that the show provides you with a place to stay.
Thanks. I would not be asking about accomadation if they had provided it, but they did give me a cheque for $2,000 to spend anyway I want, so that will go towards accomadation of my choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
There are many many many hotels here so you might have to elaborate on what you mean by "good". I'll give you some hotels that are near the shores that are popular and good - Sheraton Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef on the Beach, on the higher end would be Halekulani Hotel.
Hmmmm i'll check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Most popular places to shop would be Ala Moana Shopping Center (largest on Oahu). The place you'll probably be staying would be Waikiki, where most tourists stay. There are less "touristy" places but not sure what you're interested in.
I'll put the Ala Moana on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
You got quite some time to plan, but congrats on your win! I wonder, if you had crushed your paper into a ball and just threw it would you have won also? lol.
Well I've got the flights booked, next is the accommodation, then tours and what to see and do. I also had thought about crushing the paper into a ball and throwing it, but I thought in the spirit of the competition it may not have been a paper plane, rather a paper ball and maybe I would have been disqualified.

I knew that the dart paper plane I made would go the distance, but I couldn't lose cause all the guys at work would be forever throwing paper planes at me if I'd lost. Being the last person to throw gave me some adrenalin too.

Thanks for the suggestions.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
Congratulations Mad DOG!!! That was some pro paper airplane flying you did haha

Like yarisugi said earlier there are lots of good hotels to stay at and lots of things to do around the island. Waikiki is most likely where you will be staying and any of the hotels there are good but the ones yarisugi mentioned are the best.

But you guys have lots of time to plan out what you will be doing so do a little research here and there and you can also ask us about anything and we will be happy to help you out!!
Thanks fujiwaru. Seeing as your a local, do you know if there are any big and tall (plus size) clothing shops on Oahu? If so what are their names and locations.

Also when I visit LA I always go to a shooting range, are there any ranges on Oahu that you can recommend?

Also i'm into mini golf, what is the best mini golf on the island and it's location?

Is there a Sizzler on Oahu?

Thanks again for your help.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~
 
yarisugi's Avatar
 
Drives: Me: Nuts:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ハワイ
Posts: 2,006
Hi MAD DOG.

The only Big & Tall place in Hawaii that I know would be this place. There are many big & tall men here as well, so you might even find some big & tall clothing at regular shops, too.

As for shooting ranges- there are outdoor and indoor. The outdoor shooting range would be here Koko Head Shooting Range. As for indoor ranges, there are many in the Waikiki area where you'll probably be staying. Here are some.
http://www.hawaiigunclub.com
http://www.waikikigunclub.com
http://www.magnum50.com
http://www.rhshooting.com

Miniature Golf? Hmmm. Only two
Bay View Mini Putt in Kaneohe and Jungle River Mini Golf in Aiea, both of these are not near Waikiki - about a 30 minute drive to either one.

and last but not least, Sizzler. There are three on the island, but if you like steak there are many other steak houses on Oahu that are yummy. You can Google "steak houses in Oahu". (sorry, my hands are getting tired).
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Hi MAD DOG.

The only Big & Tall place in Hawaii that I know would be this place. There are many big & tall men here as well, so you might even find some big & tall clothing at regular shops, too.

As for shooting ranges- there are outdoor and indoor. The outdoor shooting range would be here Koko Head Shooting Range. As for indoor ranges, there are many in the Waikiki area where you'll probably be staying. Here are some.
http://www.hawaiigunclub.com
http://www.waikikigunclub.com
http://www.magnum50.com
http://www.rhshooting.com

Miniature Golf? Hmmm. Only two
Bay View Mini Putt in Kaneohe and Jungle River Mini Golf in Aiea, both of these are not near Waikiki - about a 30 minute drive to either one.

and last but not least, Sizzler. There are three on the island, but if you like steak there are many other steak houses on Oahu that are yummy. You can Google "steak houses in Oahu". (sorry, my hands are getting tired).
Wow! Thanks for all the great info, really appreciate it.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
fujiwaru
 
fujiwaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Hi MAD DOG.

The only Big & Tall place in Hawaii that I know would be this place. There are many big & tall men here as well, so you might even find some big & tall clothing at regular shops, too.

As for shooting ranges- there are outdoor and indoor. The outdoor shooting range would be here Koko Head Shooting Range. As for indoor ranges, there are many in the Waikiki area where you'll probably be staying. Here are some.
http://www.hawaiigunclub.com
http://www.waikikigunclub.com
http://www.magnum50.com
http://www.rhshooting.com

Miniature Golf? Hmmm. Only two
Bay View Mini Putt in Kaneohe and Jungle River Mini Golf in Aiea, both of these are not near Waikiki - about a 30 minute drive to either one.

and last but not least, Sizzler. There are three on the island, but if you like steak there are many other steak houses on Oahu that are yummy. You can Google "steak houses in Oahu". (sorry, my hands are getting tired).
haha its pretty much all answered

there is also another mini golf located at Wet and Wild by Kapolei but takes about 45 min to get there (plus i live in that area too ) and you can also check out Wet and Wild if you want
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
haha its pretty much all answered

there is also another mini golf located at Wet and Wild by Kapolei but takes about 45 min to get there (plus i live in that area too ) and you can also check out Wet and Wild if you want
Hmmmm Wet and Wild could be fun.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Bump
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
fujiwaru
 
fujiwaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 237
Hey Mad Dog!!! Just an update, they just opened up a indoor go kart place here in the Kapolei area if your interested in giving it a try. http://podiumraceway.com/

I've been there a couple times and I gotta say those karts are fast!!! They have a really nice facility and nice staff members as well.
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
Hey Mad Dog!!! Just an update, they just opened up a indoor go kart place here in the Kapolei area if your interested in giving it a try. http://podiumraceway.com/

I've been there a couple times and I gotta say those karts are fast!!! They have a really nice facility and nice staff members as well.
Would love to go kart but i'm too fat to fit in a kart.
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,448
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Bump. Be arriving Sat 23 :)
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Toyota Yaris 2011 Spy Photos !!! orheen General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 35 11-24-2009 09:08 PM
From Hawaii to Cali yuiedie California 2 12-18-2006 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.