Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Passenger Wiper Arm, lack of tension? TSB?

I have an '09 2-dr LB. I notice that the passenger wiper arm likes to move up and down off the glass while driving. At highway speeds (65-75), the arm doesn't put enough pressure on the glass to get the really nasty stuff. I recently replaced the wipers with Bosch ION wipers. They are the slim ones with a slight airfoil on the top to help hold them down. And before anyone asks, no, they don't make a 14" for the passenger side. I bought a 16", disassembled it, and re-made it to a 14" blade.

Anyways, does anyone know if there is a TSB out for this? If not, I already have a second spring I'm planning to add inside the stock one for more force. But I'd rather an OEM fix. I searched, and couldn't find anything...

Thanks in advance.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
no tsb...and good luck getting it replaced on dealership. i went to a dealer and complained about mine. they said it cleaned and they werent doing anything about it.

you could cut a coil off the spring and bend the next coil to make a hoop tho
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Lil Abner

Stupid dealerships! For cutting a coil, I'm not going to try. Spring steel isn't the easiest to try and re-form. I have another spring to add inside the stock one. It's plated, so I just need to figure out how to powder coat it so it doesn't rust. I have the powder coater, I just need to open the spring up to get the powder in there. If I have luck with it, I'll post it up. Granted, I'll need to wait for the weather to get nasty again to test it out.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you might be able to get a new one from the self help aisle at any parts store.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
+1, i noticed this the first day i got my car, it floats over everything and makes a mess of the window. personally my solution is to move the spring pin (meaning cutting out the original spring mounting location and putting in a screw about an inch up the wiper arm)

im trying to find a new wiper arm to try this on first..... jsut incase it messes up
Old 10-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
You might go to a salvage yard and look for a wiper arm with a shorter spring and use that spring.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Noticed the same thing when I got my '10... nothing that I can think to do to fix it.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Lil Abner

Well, I'm still playing with different springs right now. Ideally, I'd like to find one to just replace the stock one (easy fix for all). But until then, I'm trying different ones to add to the stock one.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Lil Abner

The big problem I'm having is getting a beefy spring INSIDE the stock one. Still playing with that. Spring steel isn't the easiest to form, so that's part of the challenge.

Here is one attempt I'm trying today:

This is the clip that holds the spring to the bottom hinge side of the arm. As you can see, I bent it closer together, hopefully putting more load on the wiper arm. The weather is suppose to be rainy here the next couple of days, so I should be able to test it out on the highway. I sprayed some black paint on the bare metal from the vise I used. I'll let you know how it feels once I install it later today.