Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Replacing the stock stereo in a Yaris 2, #2039; 56k, are you serious?

Alright, once more and super detailed, with all parts you'll need.

This is the stock stereo in our Yarii:

Plays mp3 CDs and regular audio CDs, and has an aux-in between the seats. Kinda meh.

Start plucking out the tall side panels (the ones ending in the hazard switch on the left, and the airbag indicator on the right), start at the bottom and work your way up. The switch and the indicator end in plugged in wires. Leave them plugged in, and just kind store them in your top glove boxes for the time being.

Pluck out the bottom of the instrument cave, and then you can peel off the bezel around the vent and the stock stereo. Put that on your passenger seat.

You'll now see the four Phillips screws holding the stock stereo to you car. Remove them, and store them in the pocket in your door handle.

Pull out the stereo, unplug everything. Remove the mounting ears with a 13 mm socket. Don't try to use a Phillips screw driver, these screws have very soft heads.

Now a regular double DIN stereo is only 180 mm wide, whereas the Yaris stock stereo has a width (and without any reason!) of 200 mm. Get these to avoid having unsightly gaps on each side of your new unit:

Interchange Part Number: Metra 95-8202
Manufacturer Part Number: TTR-992
Other Part Number: Scosche TA1465B

Bolt the mounting ears from your stock unit on the new stereo. Play with the plastic bezels for a bit, and you'll realize they can only fit on to the new head unit the right way. You'll need two more bolts as the ones holding the metal ears, except a little bit longer.

Connect the wiring harness adapter to your new stereo.

Get this one:

Interchange Part Number: Metra 70-1761
Manufacturer Part Number: TA02B
Other Part Number: Scosche TA02B

This is what I used to connect the wires together:

$3 for 20, at Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135636-12704...ors&facetInfo=

Put a wire into each end of these, and pinch the connectors shut with some pliers.

The wiring harness comes with a color coded table, but it's pretty much just purple to purple, white with a black stripe to white with a black stripe, and so forth. I didn't connect the speed sensor wire.

Now it's just plug and play. The plugs you removed from the back of the stock stereo will plug right into the back of the wiring harness you connected to the back of the aftermarket radio.

For this unit, I got an Eclipse iPC-107p wiring adapter to connect my iPod to my stereo, but that's optional and kind of specific to the head unit I installed. I tucked the cables for it and for the GPS antenna away so they'd come out where the Aux-in plug is, between the front seats.

Time to check all the functions, and if everything works as hoped for, tidy it up with a few zip ties, stuff everything into the big gaping hole and put all the panels back. Hint, the small black tongues underneath the bottom panel of the instrument cave are supposed to be vertical.

It lives:

Day mode:

If you wired it up correctly, turning on the headlights will activate night mode:

iPod mode:

Hmmm, no picture of radio mode, but that was kinda the whole point of this exercise, to make sure I don't have to listen to the radio ;)
I tested it and it works no worse or better than any other car radio. The TomTom display only displays the frequency and not the station name, and I've found no way to store a custom station name either. Oh well, who cares.

Total cost, about $150, counting the head unit ($65 shipped, yay eBay), $34 for the map updates from TomTom (who wants to drive with six year old maps?), and the rest went for various adapters and wiring harnesses as described above.

It's not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than the lame stock stereo ;)

Much thanks to CTScott for letting me know which bits and pieces to get.

Last edited by Kar98; 01-28-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Kar98

And with the proper bezel and mounting brackets, it now looks like this:

Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Mz3oh5

Drives: 13' HB
Looks clean :)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Kar98

Old 10-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Now that looks stock. Awesome job =]
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
atlebatoyot
'Yota fanatic.

Drives: Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
And with the proper bezel and mounting brackets, it now looks like this:

Nice and flush.

Great DIY!
atlebatoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #7
ibadtaylor

Drives: Yaris 2012
Can I ask you something?

I have same model wire cable with your head unit, can u show me where is Blue Cable (Remote) for connecting to Sobwoofer (REM)?, thank you

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
ibadtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote