Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #19
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Ok, I'm curious... I have heard pros and cons (beneficial, not beneficial) about the rear sway bar for the yaris so I'm not sure if I should put it on my car or not. I heard the same things about a strut tower bar as well, but I have noticed the difference there on both my cars. My suspension is stock (for now, plan on going TRD springs and shocks/struts) and the only two "handling" mods currently are the tanabe strut tower bar and ultralight 17" wheels. My focus is as close to go-kart handling as I can get. Really I don't want the car to handle worse, just better. Would the rear sway bar help? I'm not going with coilovers... Thanks!
My suspension is stock except for the added TRD sway bar. I think that it does cut down on some body roll in hard cornering. I can take curves pretty fast and the car doesn't lean that much. I'm very happy with the suspension and ride.

Of course, I had the sway bar installed at the dealer upon taking delivery, so I don't know what the car would handle like without it. I feel that when I upgrade the tires to 195/55R/15 Nokians, the car will handle even better (new tires in combination with the sway bar), especially on slippery pavement.
'07 3-door Meteorite Metallic Liftback: manual transmission, power package, 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat, ABS, side airbags, keyless entry, fog lights, 7-spoke 15" Toyota alloys, cruise control, TRD sway bar.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Check with www.sparkstoyota.com. I purchased this rear TRD swaybar for my car and received it within a week. Very easy to install, instructions included.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #21
chrisada_to2a

Drives: 5 Doors Hatch
ok, here is a good question .. I have been asking around and found out that Japan TRD didn't make the rear sway bar for 5 doors, however US TRD made one for 3 doors. Now, my question is that anyone know if the TRD rear sway bar made by US TRD will fit the 5 doors?
chrisada_to2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I find the Yaris' handling in emergency or track situations abysmal. I hate the fact that it doesn't go where I want it to when I turn really hard because of understeer and body roll.
The Sway bars are key, they tie together the torsionbars in the back to reduce flex and twisting of the suspension during hard cornering. The body and chassis on the Yaris are good to go with the help of the sway bars. The Tien project Yaris in Siphon did not run an upper strut tie bar incidentally.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderkitten View Post
The Sway bars are key
That seems to be the case with many FWD cars. I remember swearing I'd never buy an FWD car but economics forced me to do otherwise. I've always been a fan of live-axle rear wheel drive, but good luck finding a decent car like that these days. I've noticed that since I first started driving and buying, cars have been designed more and more so that they were easy to drive. Understeer is less dangerous to a bad driver than oversteer, and we cater to them.

Here's to traction control, cruise control, FWD, intentional understeer, ABS and airbags; making driving easier and giving people a false sense of security so people don't have to be good drivers or pay attention anymore.
1995 Chevrolet k1500 extended cab
Blown 396 smallblock 797hp @6500RPM
looks stock, but burns riced-out imports daily.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote