Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #37
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
I paid 2.48 in Southern Massachusetts the other day, but it looks like the average is 2.55-2.60. I hope it will stay under $3.00 but I'm not expecting it unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #38
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Until our government quits this global warming crap....it is snowing in N. Dakota for the first time in several decades.....and allows for more gas refineries and oil drilling, we will pay more for gas. This is a political problem, not a supply problem.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #39
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
2.47 in Savannah.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #40
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Until our government quits this global warming crap....it is snowing in N. Dakota for the first time in several decades.....and allows for more gas refineries and oil drilling, we will pay more for gas. This is a political problem, not a supply problem.
US output has been declining for two decades. Politics does not produce more oil resources. Oil is non-renewable. Government can not decree that we have more oil in the ground. It can only conserve what is left. Until the world reduces its dependence on oil we will see rising gas prices.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #41
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Pricing of *any* goods are a political issue. Nothing has any intrinsic monetary value unless we assign some value to it. Who can blame gas/oil companies for trying to get a premium price for their product? Simple market economics, you charge what the market will bear. End of story.

Now, regardless of your stance on global warming the fact remains that OIL IS A FINITE RESOURCE... which means it WILL run out at some point so it only makes sense to find alternative forms of energy with or without global warming as a justification. When supplies run low or demand runs high the price will skyrocket no matter what. Not to mention that gas prices always, always, always go up for summer due to higher demand. This isn't some part of the "global warming conspiracy".
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #42
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
I have disliked the term "global warming" sine I first heard it because I knew from the beginning that folks like you either wouldn't understand, or would understand yet play on the semantics of it anyway.

It's not strictly about warming, but rather how that warming produces climate change. Climate change can manifest in anything from growing deserts in Asia to freak snow storms in the U.S. to stronger hurricanes in the Atlantic.

You brought up an example of snow in North Dakota for the first time in decades, yet in the Reno/Tahoe area we had no appreciable precipitation from mid-February 2008 all the way until mid-November 2008. Conversely, we just finished off 8 straight days of appreciable rain, the most seen in this area since a lone record was set in 1911. If you look at your local weather over the previous 10 years as compared to the 10 year period previous to that, or even earlier, you will likely easily notice a pattern change.

Everywhere you look (if you bother to) there are signs that the climate is changing at a much more rapid pace than usual. Aside from the unavoidable finiteness of oil it has been proven by every research group that actually produces hard science that burning fossil fuels directly contributes to the issue of climate change. Wishing things to be different does not make them so.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #43
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
2.99 Mobil One out at long island, lowest and mostly 2.69; seen some at 2.79(for regular gas)

i highly doubt that it will be lowered after the summer. maybe just a tad.
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #44
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I've heard on the news that they (whoever "they" may be that is being referred to) suspect the price of fuel will hover around $2.30-2.35 at most until September. But then again, we all know talk is cheap.
yup, talk is cheap lol (news)
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #45
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
The damn fossil fuels should have stayed in the ground....
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #46
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
US output has been declining for two decades. Politics does not produce more oil resources. Oil is non-renewable. Government can not decree that we have more oil in the ground. It can only conserve what is left. Until the world reduces its dependence on oil we will see rising gas prices.
There is enough oil in the ground...under the sea...under snow...to last this country for over 100 years. The reason gas prices are rising is that people believe that there is a shortage of oil. There will be fossil based fuel sources for decades to come and until we get the government out of playing politics with oil, we will pay far more than we need to!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #47
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
87 oct. was 2.70 today (Southeastern NY)and for those cars that need the higher oct. it was 3.03 per gallon.
So...three dollars is here in some area.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #48
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Pricing of *any* goods are a political issue. Nothing has any intrinsic monetary value unless we assign some value to it. Who can blame gas/oil companies for trying to get a premium price for their product? Simple market economics, you charge what the market will bear. End of story.

Now, regardless of your stance on global warming the fact remains that OIL IS A FINITE RESOURCE... which means it WILL run out at some point so it only makes sense to find alternative forms of energy with or without global warming as a justification. When supplies run low or demand runs high the price will skyrocket no matter what. Not to mention that gas prices always, always, always go up for summer due to higher demand. This isn't some part of the "global warming conspiracy".
I heard the "running out of oil" argument" back in 1976. Still have billions of barrels of oil left.....makes me think there will always be oil.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #49
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I have disliked the term "global warming" sine I first heard it because I knew from the beginning that folks like you either wouldn't understand, or would understand yet play on the semantics of it anyway.

It's not strictly about warming, but rather how that warming produces climate change. Climate change can manifest in anything from growing deserts in Asia to freak snow storms in the U.S. to stronger hurricanes in the Atlantic.

You brought up an example of snow in North Dakota for the first time in decades, yet in the Reno/Tahoe area we had no appreciable precipitation from mid-February 2008 all the way until mid-November 2008. Conversely, we just finished off 8 straight days of appreciable rain, the most seen in this area since a lone record was set in 1911. If you look at your local weather over the previous 10 years as compared to the 10 year period previous to that, or even earlier, you will likely easily notice a pattern change.

Everywhere you look (if you bother to) there are signs that the climate is changing at a much more rapid pace than usual. Aside from the unavoidable finiteness of oil it has been proven by every research group that actually produces hard science that burning fossil fuels directly contributes to the issue of climate change. Wishing things to be different does not make them so.

Folks like me? You mean people that have common sense? How arrogant to think that anything man could do would have an impact on the world's weather. The earth has been heating and cooling for billions of years and will continue to do so for billions more. Our efforts on this earth have done nothing to cause this.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #50
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Specious reasoning : If you can not see that the syncroncity of melting of ice caps hundreds of thousands of years old with happening at the same time as an the initiation of an environmental event only about 100 years old as interrelated then your perceptual abilties are quite dim, or you are indulging in self justifing rationalization. That same old greenland /iceland horsehit.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #51
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
its a lack of understanding the historical warming and cooling of our planet. The major error in judgement that those who believe in the myth of human induced global warming make is that the average temperatures of the 18th and 19th centuries were global optimums when in fact they were exceedingly below the normal mean temperature of the planet. ive seen no studies to support man induced global warming that most of the leading geological experts in the world would agree with.

i think most people hear the phrase "global warming" and thanks to Al Gore's brainwashing campaign automatically associate it with a human caused condition. yes, global warming is a fact and it is happening. but, in the greater historical perspective, it is not out of whack with global warming patterns of the past.

around 900-1300 A.D. it was 2 to 4 degrees Celsius warmer than today. was that the beginning of the industrial revolution? of course not.

personally, i dont care which side of the argument anyone falll on. we need deperately to clean up our planet for a myriad of reasons.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #52
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

There are regular flucuations, but the rate of melting of the icecaps is unprecedented and syncronous with the introduction of fossil fuel pollutants. The probability of these two events being in such a narrow window of temporal proximity and bring unrelated approaches the infinitismal.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 06-07-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #53
msfire671
ONE LOVE...YARiS LOVE!!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Send a message via MSN to msfire671 Send a message via Yahoo to msfire671
Well...Guam's gaas has just gone up.....from 2.84...now....$3.14 yup we are now at the 3 dollar mark!
msfire671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #54
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Lightbulb

Quote:
ive seen no studies to support man induced global warming that most of the leading geological experts in the world would agree with.
Agreed, it has not been scientifically proven that man is responsible for global warming.