Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #55
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
My 2009 Fit AT is smokin' my 2007 Yaris AT in mileage. No contest.

My Fit got 46.6 MPG using straight cruise control at 65MPH on a 250 mile round trip. I did use my paddle shifers to hold 5th gear the whole time though.

My Yaris would get about 40MPG using cruise at 65MPH.
Wonder what Honda did to the '09? Good for you! Even though I knocked Fit off my list because of price, a secondary concern for me was that I couldn't find massive numbers of people reporting better than EPA mileage like you can with the Yaris.

The Fit is still an ugly car tho
Mikeb Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #56
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
My 2009 Fit AT is smokin' my 2007 Yaris AT in mileage. No contest.

My Fit got 46.6 MPG using straight cruise control at 65MPH on a 250 mile round trip. I did use my paddle shifers to hold 5th gear the whole time though.

My Yaris would get about 40MPG using cruise at 65MPH.
I have gotten 44.67 mpg on a 400+ mile round trip with cruise set at 70 mph, A/C on high and outside temp at 103 degress, with NO hypermiling techniques!

2007 Sedan with AT
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #57
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
haven't broken 40 yet, but I only have 850 mi on it yet.
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #58
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
The car yearns for speed? Thanks for the laugh mate. Go drive a performance car, then feel speed. This car yearns for F.E. It handles like a pig on rollerskates, and if you have a L.B. , looks like one too.
I'm glad you have that much respect for your car. Not quite sure how you have your car set up but if it's the car you have in your avatar, I would agree that it does handle like a pig on roller skates. I feel sorry for you guys that think your car handles like garbage and look like ass.
But lets not pollute this thread with stupid remarks. PM me directly if you have a problem with anything I say.

Rich
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #59
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb Yaris View Post
Wonder what Honda did to the '09? Good for you! Even though I knocked Fit off my list because of price, a secondary concern for me was that I couldn't find massive numbers of people reporting better than EPA mileage like you can with the Yaris.

The Fit is still an ugly car tho
They didn't do anything. The Fit is still not capable of getting better numbers than an identical Yaris under any circumstance. Any one saying so is doing something different which they are unaware of. It's not like there is an astronomical difference, but it's there and there's no way around it.

A normally driven AT Yaris will even beat a normally driven MT Fit on hwy driving because of the poor gearing configuration made by Honda.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #60
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
i got 40.2 this past weekend... One trip, I averaged 55.1 mpg (according to the Kiwi)
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #61
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
They didn't do anything. The Fit is still not capable of getting better numbers than an identical Yaris under any circumstance. Any one saying so is doing something different which they are unaware of. It's not like there is an astronomical difference, but it's there and there's no way around it.

A normally driven AT Yaris will even beat a normally driven MT Fit on hwy driving because of the poor gearing configuration made by Honda.
You must be referring to the 07-08 Fits. The 09 is a whole new ballgame.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #62
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
I like the gearing of the Yaris, but I think the Fit is geared to provide more torque from such a small engine...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #63
voodoo22

Quote:
You must be referring to the 07-08 Fits. The 09 is a whole new ballgame.
The new Fit AT may get better FE than the Yaris if you're not driving with FE in mind. This I don't know, because the data I analyzed and many samples I have read are only from people interested in getting good FE. At least you don't have the MT Fit which is geared so absurdly. One of the guys I work with who has a new Fit with a MT cannot get over 45 MPG over a more favorable commute than mine while I am easily clearing 45 MPG and usually 50 MPG+.

I wish Honda would have offered the smaller engines here before Toyota and then this entire discussion would be moot and the Fit would be the clear FE winner.

Either way, you're lucky because you get to drive a Fit and it suits your needs. I would love to drive a Honda over a Toyota, but I couldn't justify the huge price difference and lower FE when it was time to make our purchase.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #64
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I don't get to drive it all the time unfortunately. i am driving it today though.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #65
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I'll see your 42 and raise you one....three times in a row. On my first tank eight months ago I only got 35.6 MPG. Through mods and DFCO my numbers are now upside down, 39 highway keeping up with traffic and cruise set to the posted limit, and 43 MPG in town using DFCO and cruise set to the posted limits. The next mods I try will be a PTFE fuel/octane treatment and some oil treatments. The goal is 40 highway/44 city. At 15,000 miles it's almost broken in. Considering their durability, I define a Toyota fully broken in at 20,000 miles and some of them I've driven 250,000 miles on the way to the bone yard.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.

Last edited by metalshark; 11-16-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: grammer
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #66
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
One month above 40 MPG. More than four tanks were used in the calculation. Gotta love 5w-20 plus not having to use AC.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #67
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
I use it all the time. There is this awesome hill that I use to get home from classes. I can coast for about 1.3 miles. I also coast to stops signs, lights, etc. I don't idle at all, at most about 30 seconds in the morning to warm up the engine a lil. I turn off my car the second I get to where I am going. I don't speed, I drive 55mph on the highways. I don't rev my engine hard, I never go above 2K (probably more like 1.5K max) but I don't have a tach to verify.

I can't think of anything else to do, lol. I want to break 40 so bad! hahaha
Try different brands of gas. I get 3-4 mpg more with GUlF than Valero...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #68
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
Best tank this summer driving to and from work 34 miles ea way 1/2 stop and go thru traffic lights was 49.987mpg, average for june and july was around 48 mpg lots of 49.9XX tanks, that was with about 15,000 miles on the car.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #69
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich k View Post
Best tank this summer driving to and from work 34 miles ea way 1/2 stop and go thru traffic lights was 49.987mpg, average for june and july was around 48 mpg lots of 49.9XX tanks, that was with about 15,000 miles on the car.
Those are awesome numbers with any city driving
Old 12-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #70
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
42mpg

I have an Afe filter, TRD exhaust,and AMSOIL synthetic oil. 43 mpg highway with speeds around 65-75 on the open road. Around town it varies, especially with my 215-40-17s on. With the car lowered, TRD suspension, and a short shift its to fun to care about MPGs. Over all I love the little "jelly bean". I call it my "wyz" car, the people waiting for the smart car are missin out! Very fun to Autocross too!
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #71
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Still trying to break 35 mpg here...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #72
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I found out that when I was using tires with 23.9 in in diameter I was getting 40-45 mpg (OEM) Now I'm using 23.0 in diameter tires and I'm getting 34-38 mpg

And if we take in consideration that my tachometer is off by almost 3% then mpg are some where in 32-36 mpg.

So I'm guessing that some of the yaris owners who are using 14 in wheels and / or other tire size that the diameter is around 23 inches then this could be what makes the big difference.