Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Davaross

Drives: 2002 3Dr Gs
Scangauge II Install Question

Hi everyone, I have just finished installing the Scangauage 2 in my Mk1 2002 Yaris. The system works fine but I notice while the OBD2 port is in use the power steering warning light flashes on the dashboard. The light goes off once the Scangauge is disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced this and is it anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Chris
Davaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Never heard of that, and we've sold a whole bunch of those. Sounds annoying. Is the Scangauge reporting any error codes?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've had some strange behavior with the OBDII port when the connector is loose, or when a wire is shorted to the wrong pin. I would return the unit and get a new one. If that doesn't fix it, then there's probably a short in your OBDII port wires.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Davaross

Just been for a drive and the light only flashes below 5mph. Unit works fine. Can anything on the obd port cause damage to the ecu or engine?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davaross View Post
Just been for a drive and the light only flashes below 5mph. Unit works fine. Can anything on the obd port cause damage to the ecu or engine?
The first gen yaris is ISO9141 compliant, as opposed to CAN Bus, like the 2nd gen. The SIL pin (pin 7) is used for OBDII Comm as well as for some special Toyota specific functions.

It may be that ScanGauge has not tested their device on a MK1 European Yaris and that the devices is sending out a command that accidentally triggers a Toyota specific diagnostic mode.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Davaross

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have just tested it with a friends OBD II Bluetooth adapter which has an activity indicator on it. This flashes in time with the P/S light on the dashboard below 5mph, is it possible that the P/S light is acting as an OBD interface indicator. Also CTS the OBD reader did not find any diagnostic codes on the ecu but if the scangauage is conflicting with one of the Toyota indicators will this cause me an issue next time I take it to the dealership?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davaross View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have just tested it with a friends OBD II Bluetooth adapter which has an activity indicator on it. This flashes in time with the P/S light on the dashboard below 5mph, is it possible that the P/S light is acting as an OBD interface indicator. Also CTS the OBD reader did not find any diagnostic codes on the ecu but if the scangauage is conflicting with one of the Toyota indicators will this cause me an issue next time I take it to the dealership?

Thanks,

Chris
The PS light should not be acting as an OBD activity indicator, so I suspect that the ScanGauge and bluetooth devices are both CAN and ISO 9141 capable and that the initialization sequence is triggering something to make the ECM flash the indicator.

As long as the check engine light does not come on, there should not be an issue with your next dealer visit.