Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #55
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
No municipality has a say in emissions in Canada. Regulated by Federal then Provincial.
Some municpalities (example in the North, like Sudbury) have traditionally been able (through their say) to become exempt from having the same standards.

I know this because its been popular at times for people from around Ottawa to try and register their cars with a northern address in order to be exempt from the requirement to do emissions testing.

WC
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #56
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
If you couldn't locate a Xd harness than your swap(like mine) is going to be much more involved wiring wise...

The Corolla harness has 3 plugs on the fusebox end and none of them match the yaris. You must move every single wire to its corresponding location in the yaris' CA1 and CA2 plugs.(I'm almost done). In addition to re-pinning, you will also have to cut the 2zr harness battery cables going to the starter/alternator and connect them to your 1nz harness cables for the extra length and the proper ends....lots of work.

NOTE: You can see my mini add-a-circuit for the MAF here
Is there also a difference because your car is an automatic? (ie: are there additional wiring and harness implications because of the automatic?)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #57
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
There is no additional wiring involved in having an automatic vs manual transmission. If your car is auto and you keep it auto, the auto trans Xd harness and ECM have the same pin locations at the transmission plugs. There is only one wire to ground, Ill get to that later

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-25-2016 at 11:29 PM.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #58
3cyltrbo

Quote:
There is no additional wiring involved in having an automatic vs manual transmission. If your car is auto and you keep it auto, the auto trans Xd harness and ECM have the same pin locations at the transmission plugs.

Where I'm coming from is 2010 Yaris 5spd manual without ABS

So, just like some of the others, as I read through your helpful posts.....I try to harvest the info for my own situation (ie: which mounts / tranny / axles / wiring etc...)

Will
Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 AM   #59
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I finished all of my Corolla harness soldering today. I connected the battery and switched on the ignition and I immediately got a code for P2770-Torque Converter Clutch(auto trans).....Im not sure if this is a result of the hydrolock or what, looks like I need to do a bit more research...

Tomorrow I will finish my MAF wiring and fire it up...hopefully all goes well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (286.6 KB, 561 views)

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-22-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #60
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
I finished all of my Corolla harness soldering today. I connected the battery and switched on the ignition and I immediately got a code for P2770-Torque Converter Clutch(auto trans).....Im not sure if this is a result of the hydrolock or what, looks like I need to do a bit more research...

So far, it was just four wires you had to change? (pending figuring out the P2770 code of course)
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #61
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
So far, it was just four wires you had to change? (pending figuring out the P2770 code of course)
For the Xd manual trans harness yes, 4 wires so far.

Update: (auto trans only) I've found the harness discrepancy causing my P2770 code. The Xd ECM normally receives a signal from the SL solenoid on pin#58, but my Corolla harness has that wire on 57. Also the Corolla/Xd valve body's ground this solenoid internally vs the Yaris auto trans grounding this solenoid at the ECM. I just need to swap pins 57 to 58 and ground pin #9 at the valve body connector.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-24-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #62
maralieus

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris s
So what did you need for cali smog? You just had to call ahead and tell them your plans and that's it? Then just make sure it has no check engine, cat, and that's about it? I'm very interested in doing this swap as my yaris tranny is getting iffy and the engine has 150k so it is in the cards.
maralieus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #63
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Yes I called the BAR and they said no CEL, and all stock components.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #64
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

This is the ECM I ordered from Ebay...I just have to finish up some wiring and Ill have a engine startup video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (94.0 KB, 524 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #65
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
what's the engine immobilizer situation and how are you addressing it?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #66
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

My car does not have immobilizer, so I bought a non-immobilizer ECM. I believe all pre 2010 Xd's are non immobilizer.

If your car has immobilizer....I still dont know what exactly has to be done regarding keys. Someone will have to try it, or have the system removed.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #67
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
I know you guys would prefer this diy be formatted a certain way, but I am sharing this info with you guys as I go.
You're doing great. Keep it up! Whenever I do something worth sharing, I always find it difficult to document until after it's done. The effort is appreciated.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #68
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
You're doing great. Keep it up! Whenever I do something worth sharing, I always find it difficult to document until after it's done. The effort is appreciated.

Cheers.
+1
Old 01-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #69
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Whenever I do something worth sharing, I always find it difficult to document until after it's done.
This is exactly how I felt about this diy, there is so much going on I feared a step would get forgotten if I waited until it was completed.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #70
beaker

Quote:
This is exactly how I felt about this diy, there is so much going on I feared a step would get forgotten if I waited until it was completed.
You're doing great! Worthy of many accolades for doing and sharing with the rest of us this engine swap.

Would you mind posting the part # of the ECM you bought, and what it was for?(ie year make model and specific options)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #71
beaker

Quote:

How did the wiring go for the corrolla harness to XD/yaris? Any left over wires, or were you able to terminate/find a place for all the wires? Just wondering how viable using a corrolla harness is.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #72
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Would you mind posting the part # of the ECM you bought, and what it was for?(ie year make model and specific options)
I mentioned the ECM part# in post #23....for an automatic transmission it is: 89661-52F71.

Quote:
How did the wiring go for the corrolla harness to XD/yaris?
The Corolla harness has all of the necessary wires to connect successfully to the Yaris. The cons however are that it's a monumental task soldering all of the wires, and the ecm plug is not long enough to reach the original ECM location....I had to mount mine above the valve cover on the cowl. There are also a couple wires to change for the transmission plug.