Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Australia
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
KKevin

Drives: Yaris 5D 1.3L M
Bad Luck, Car Accident

Hi guys,

Do you remember me? I asked a lot of questions these day.

I still did not get my new car. So toyota offered me a car for free use on Monday. It is a nice car and easy to drive.

Unfortunately, today I met a car accident, and I approached toyota dealer immediately after the accident and returned the car to them.

But they asked me to pay $2000 insurance excess which I think it is too expensive to me. I paid $1000 to them today and I still owed them another $1000.

After I arrived my home, I talked to my friends and we found something very strange. The first is, The toyota dealer did not show me any insurance company policy. Then, after I paid the $1000, they even did not write any receipt to state what the money is paid for. Finally is, we did not sign any contract regarding to the free use of the car and they did not explain conditions and attentions about using the car.

SO, guys, what do you think?

Should I still pay the rest of the money?

Thanks.
KKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i would think that their insurance would cover the car. and highly doubt that the deductible is 2k.. i would have ask for that info before paying... maybe go back and talk to a manager...who took the cash?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
welll I got a VW now, they gave me courtesy car free of charged, but before handing over the keys to me, i signed a document saying any accident i have to pay $1500 excess.

but if Toyota didnt do that then pretty much you're not liable i guess... PLUS i wouldnt give any cash without them giving you some sort of receipt!
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
true that, tomorow, they could deny the fact of getting money from you. If only you had the reciept or something, You would be in a position to ask for the money back. You can still try now, but I doubt they will refund your money. Good luck with it mate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
KKevin

Unhappy

thanks a lot for your advice, all.

I really had a nightmare all night, all the dreams were about the car crash and insurance things.

I guess they pushed me and forced me to pay the money yesterday because I am only an international student and I haven't had any families here, .

The good news is I paid the money via EFTPOS, so I can track my money through netbank.

Anyway, I owe them the rest of money for the new car. I hope this factor will help me.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
KKevin

I just came back from toyota. They still push me to pay the huge excess.

This time, I asked for a copy of form I signed on that day (which they didn't give it to me when I picked up the courtesy car), but no terms and conditions shown on the form indicate the insurance things and how much excess I need to pay them after the crash. The form even didn't mention how to deal with the situation when car accident happened.

I doubt so much on what conditions and terms they rely on to ask me for the $2k excess payment.

I will keep you guys informed about the progress. Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by KKevin; 12-04-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
When I had a courtesy car from our local Toyota Dealer, I did sign a form which did mention a $2000 excess. If the form you signed does not mention this, then they owe you your money back.
Ask them to show you where, on the form you signed, it says about the excess.

Also, if the accident was not your fault, I would not be paying any excess either.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKevin View Post
Hi guys,

Do you remember me? I asked a lot of questions these day.

I still did not get my new car. So toyota offered me a car for free use on Monday. It is a nice car and easy to drive.

Unfortunately, today I met a car accident, and I approached toyota dealer immediately after the accident and returned the car to them.

But they asked me to pay $2000 insurance excess which I think it is too expensive to me. I paid $1000 to them today and I still owed them another $1000.

After I arrived my home, I talked to my friends and we found something very strange. The first is, The toyota dealer did not show me any insurance company policy. Then, after I paid the $1000, they even did not write any receipt to state what the money is paid for. Finally is, we did not sign any contract regarding to the free use of the car and they did not explain conditions and attentions about using the car.

SO, guys, what do you think?

Should I still pay the rest of the money?

Thanks.
I used to work at dealer occasionally. They would give people the keys to a car in the lot without writing it up as a loaner. And 99 percent of the time nothing happens. Usually no paperwork at all. But when accident happens both people are kinda screwed now. But techically its really the dealer. If its run through insurance the vehicle can no longer be sold as a new car now since its been in a accident. Second since there was no documentation they may not even cover the claim. SO now the dealer is going to have to send it to the body shop and pay out of pocket. Or more so out of your pocket. The estimate may be a 3-4 thousand dollar repair. But dealership gets wholesale cost which is maybe 2 thousand. Which is what they are having you pay so they arnt out anything while you are.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
KKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
When I had a courtesy car from our local Toyota Dealer, I did sign a form which did mention a $2000 excess. If the form you signed does not mention this, then they owe you your money back.
Ask them to show you where, on the form you signed, it says about the excess.

Also, if the accident was not your fault, I would not be paying any excess either.
HI, Rob323,

I am pretty sure I didn't sign a form which indicated the insurance excess.

The thing is when I approached toyota today, they still pushed me to pay the rest of the money and said the car have to be fixed by next wednesday. And I told them I am seeking for legal advice.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
KKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I used to work at dealer occasionally. They would give people the keys to a car in the lot without writing it up as a loaner. And 99 percent of the time nothing happens. Usually no paperwork at all. But when accident happens both people are kinda screwed now. But techically its really the dealer. If its run through insurance the vehicle can no longer be sold as a new car now since its been in a accident. Second since there was no documentation they may not even cover the claim. SO now the dealer is going to have to send it to the body shop and pay out of pocket. Or more so out of your pocket. The estimate may be a 3-4 thousand dollar repair. But dealership gets wholesale cost which is maybe 2 thousand. Which is what they are having you pay so they arnt out anything while you are.
Hi,

Thanks for let me know the inside information.

The car which toyota passed to me is an used car with ODO of 5K+. I know I have certain responsibilities for the accident, but the thing is if the dealer could delivery my new car on time (because they have changed the delivery date for at least three times), it might be this accident could be avoided.

If the price that the dealer charge from me is the normal excess what other insurance companies would apply (In Australia, most insurance companies charge between $300 and $500 for the basic excess), I might accept that.

Additionally if they mentioned the excess when I signed the form, I might also accept their charge. If I know it is $2000 excess, I will buy extra insurance myself to cover the huge excess.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
if they didn't get you to sign a form for the loan/courtesy car then that DEALERSHIP you went is pretty much F*ckED! up! They should know better, well the person who gave you the key should know better.

but yeah, did you get photos of the accident?? if you do, try your around for the best quote for repairing the damage. That way when they take you to court, you have proof that the repair doesnt cost this X amount but this X of amount. :) just a tip
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
KKevin

Last night I got a call from toyota to push me to pay the rest of the money, and I told them I got legal advice. But the general manager said he want to go with me to see my lawyer.

This morning I received a call from toyota again and on the phone one of their staffs threatened to me if I did not pay the full amount of insurance excess by today, they will increase the repair cost to over 6,000. Because they said if you did not settle the money by today, they will not go through the repairs with insurance company but repair it by themselves. And they told me I was at fault on the accident, and I should pay the repair cost of the other party's car which I hitted.

Also they said if the full amount of insurance is not settled, they will not process to delivery my new vehicle.

Currently, I am very upset and feel so depressed. Firstly, I can not get my new car on time then I can not go to work. Then I am afraid if the amount of the bill will accumulate to a large one.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #13
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
what dinks

lol go to a different dealer.. tell they you found the same car for $2000 less j/p

have you called toyota corporate about the issue? tell them that you feel the local dealership is trying to pull a fast one on you.. see what they say
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
KKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasaunce View Post
if they didn't get you to sign a form for the loan/courtesy car then that DEALERSHIP you went is pretty much F*ckED! up! They should know better, well the person who gave you the key should know better.

but yeah, did you get photos of the accident?? if you do, try your around for the best quote for repairing the damage. That way when they take you to court, you have proof that the repair doesnt cost this X amount but this X of amount. :) just a tip
Hi leasaunce,

I guess the repair cost will be much excess 2k if include the car I hit.

The dealership is very big in Adl, most of people know them. But they changed the delivery time again and again. On wednesday, it said the viechle will be arrived in Adl on Thursday morning. But when I visited them this morning on Friday, they said the car has not arrived yet. It should be arrived between 11 am and 1 pm today. I hope the car is arrived. But I still can not get my car, because they said if I don't pay the 2k excess, they will not delivery the car to me.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
KKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
what dinks

lol go to a different dealer.. tell they you found the same car for $2000 less j/p

have you called toyota corporate about the issue? tell them that you feel the local dealership is trying to pull a fast one on you.. see what they say
Hi TinyGiant,

The thing is I have signed a new car contract with this dealer, and they told me I could not terminate the contract.

I have tried to call Toyota Customer Relations Centre once and the rep refered me to the local dealer and asked me to discuss issuses with the dealer. I called last time because I found they can not delivery the car on time which they promised. So I want to cancel the contract and get my deposit back. But Customer Relations Centre asked me to talk back to the local dealer I visited. What can I say? the Customer Relations Centre.

Thanks a lot.