Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Questions about interior color and exterior paint

Hello, I will hopefully be a new active member soon =) I am decided on getting a yaris, right now am working on the money hehe. Here is another post I've made if you want to get more info about what I want
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14390

So, I am a total car noob.. like I need to look up what the difference between hubcaps and rims are haha.

But my yaris specific questions so far are, do different colored interiors exist? All the pics I've seen are of the bland gray color. If I had to travel for a black interior, I seriously would- I'm just getting the feeling that they don't exist. Also, is it possible to change the interior? Not just paint the hard parts, but the fabrics too? Either in the dealer or a shop? And is it very expensive?

Second question, I've been looking up how to deal with buying a car and learned what things to avoid wasting money on- like you probably don't need an extended warranty.
However, something most car buying tip sites tell me is to also avoid buying extra paint protection.
I have been reading this forum and other yaris sites and am learning that people are having problems with the paint, being more easily susceptible to dings and scratches then other cars. So I am wondering, if you get a yaris, is it worth paying the dealer to do their paint protection and whatever other dealer-is-looking-for-more-money paint related add ons they offer? Or is whatever the dealer does to the paint still not worth the price? And is it better if I try to do some paint protection myself after leaving the dealer?
Thank you!
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
As far as I know, all US Yarises have black interior.

Don't buy the extended warranty. No on the paint protection/fabric protection packages, as well.

Contrary to the experience of some, I've never had any issues whatsoever with my paint. After almost 3 years and 30K miles, I have just one paint chip on the hood the size of a pencil point.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
wiirenet

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, maybe the interior just doesn't look right to me in pictures, it just looks grayish, and I've seen seats with weird colored dots on bland gray too. You guys on this forum need a section for "interior pictures" or something... there's a lot of pics of the outside of everyones' cars but not inside! (unless I'm missing a thread)

You didn't have paint protection and are doing well? Thanks. Thats what I thought- say no to the extra protection- its just the forum posts here made me paranoid with people talking about the paint.

But thank you, I will consider your post and see if I get other replies!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
The 07 LB has a dark blue with light blue dots . The 09 LB has a charcoal "houndstooth" material . I like the dots

The paint is good , I have 68,000 miles and have the usual chips from rocks . I only wax my car 3 times(double wax the front bumper) a year and thats the only time I touch it . In between waxes I just rinse off . My paint is i very good condition .

Yes DO get the Toyogaurd protectant
Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is something odd about photographing the interior. The fabric looks completely different depending on light conditions and angle of the camera. The 08 and prior non-S liftbacks had the infamous blue dots on black fabric. The 09 non-S liftbacks have black rectangles on grey fabric. Below is a picture of the fabric on my 09.

As for changing the fabric, I read recently that the yaris' seats have the fabric glued to the foam, so pulling the fabric and replacing it is quite difficult (but if you search, you'll see that someone on YW actually pulled the fabric and did custom leather).

The easier method for changing the fabric is via seat covers. Check out this thread on the Clazzio seat covers available from MicroImage:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9523
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
wiirenet

Thanks for the pic! Looks much better then the blue dots I've seen (in my opinion, I know others have different taste :))
I still think the sexiest car ever would be a black exterior and pitch black interior but maybe no one does that because of the heat it would attract. I prob won't waste money/time on the interior then, just think about seat covers probably.

*edit* Just went to the link- Omg those seats are drool worthy! And it says they are safe too, I remember reading about the airbags being in the seats and a seat cover would be dangerous.. but these are safe... guh... will probably get a set! I wonder how tacky having it only in the front would look.