Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
GMKing

Drives: 2007 toyota Yaris sedan
Problem with Yaris aftermarket parts manufacturers

I've been looking around for a few good hours now and I haven't run across a single body kit that was tested for drag coefficient or even a boastful claim of being more aerodynamic than the stock body pieces.

Nor have I come across any performance parts that are tested for hp/tq gains, at all.

do all these manufacturers just assume that the consumer is going to buy the product with no regard to whether or not it will produce any sort of benefit?

or have I simply only run into crappy manufacturers who don't seem to have any care in the world for quality assurance? if you know of any manufacturers whom test their products and advertise their finding's please, post them up and let me know. turbos and superchargers aside, of course.
GMKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Only company that really tests and brags about their HP gains or such is K&N...thats due the fact they make many of their sales on this.

about 80% of people who buy body kits, dont do so to make the car more aerodynamic, just look better/cooler and in some cases, worse than stock...

Sadly, if you want HP numbers, check with the forum, search for parts and see who has tested them...most people here dont have the money to Dyno the car after every little mod, it generally takes a series of mods to get to the point where someone Dyno's the car.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The Afe Intake shows H/P and Torque on there site
and also NST Pullies .Check there sites out
But they are only guide lines , due to unknowns ,such as air temp , humidity and the likes when testing.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
GMKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
The Afe Intake shows H/P and Torque on there site
and also NST Pullies .Check there sites out
But they are only guide lines , due to unknowns ,such as air temp , humidity and the likes when testing.
I just viewed AFE's website and though the stage two kit for yaris appears to be quality and functional, it doesn't provide numbers, :(
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
When you buy an AEM/TRD Cold Air Intake system, it actually provides you with a copied Dyno chart from a test vehicle. Showing that it netted a just over 5hp gain over stock.

Dont know about other companies.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well check out the dyno graph section here...it will give you a decent idea of what you can expect.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMKing View Post
I just viewed AFE's website and though the stage two kit for yaris appears to be quality and functional, it doesn't provide numbers, :(
It used to be , sorry , it is also on the side off the box it came in .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Most any big name aftermarket parts manufactures have test their products on a Yaris but probably don't have hugh gains (we don't have a whole lot of power to begin with) so they don't feel it posting number matter. Most everybody that post their mods on here give "butt dynos". If you want more aerodynamics look how flat all of the front bumpers are on any body kits not very aero there for one reason our cars don't go fast they were made as econo boxes the best thing out there for aero is probably the Micro Image underpanel. It actually covers the whole underside of the front of the car.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
GMKing

well I just figured that it's already got a drag coefficient of .29 (much high than almost all vehicles on the road) I figured that maybe some of the body kit's would be designed to decrease this amount of drag. anything advertised and tested as such would immediately catch MY attention.

as for the performance parts, doesn't do me much good if the product comes with a dyno chart if I want one to decide which part to buy, now does it? and of course being tiny little engines they have very little power, and as such very little gains are comparatively large, on a ratio level. example an increase of only 5 hp is very nearly a 5% gain. couple that with a package of 2 other products with similar gains (only 5 hp each) then you could advertise that said package increases stock hp by 15%. On more powerful vehicle's that's a figure typically only achieved by very expensive parts, up to and including forced induction, that in this case I should hope would be achievable with only relatively basic mods (cold air intake, headers and full exhaust, and a "chip" for example). but seeing as how the manufacturers seem to have no pride in their work I cause I'm just going to stick to fab work and do my own quality assurance.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
gte123v

Drives: 09 meteorite 3dr LB
Even well designed body kits aren't designed to decrease drag, actually, they all increase drag as a side effect of an attempt to create more "down force". However, like someone already said, a lot of body kits are just for looks and probably give the car the aerodynanmics of a flying brick.
gte123v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Look at peoples reviews they will let you know what parts are quality parts and which ones are not. I know thats just hearsay for you and you want documented proof from the manufacturer even with CAI, Header (not plural we only have one on this car) mid-pipe and axle backsome people are seeing gains as little as 7-8 HP. As of this post the one true mod that makes power on the stock motor is the NST underdrive pully. It only underdrives 15% so that the alt., w/p, and a/c are not effected greatly in performance so they act as if the pully was stock. I know that Mike has dyno tested some of his products on stock applications not sure if I have seen the one for the Yaris but his site claims an average weight reduction of 70% and HP gains of 6-8 ponies. If you want to see what is really going to net these cars some power wait to Micro Image to produce their Intake mani.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Y@R15
Dude wheres my car?

Drives: 98 honda VTi
not only that but the only way aerodynamics kicks in is if your travelling over 65 mph. and youd only see a signicicant difference at about 100mph so any bodykit you got for a yaris or any small engine car youd be getting it for looks and not aerodynamics.
Y@R15 is offline   Reply With Quote