Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Angry Ebay Fog Light Rant

I typically get 2 to 3 PMs a week from people who have purchased cheap fog light kits on eBay and are having trouble installing them. These always turn into PM chains, as there is never good documentation with the kits, and typically, the people who have purchased them and are asking the questions have zero experience with automotive wiring.

I never mind helping people out, but I have reached the end of my patience with this topic. So, from now on, those who PM me for support with ebay fog kits will simply receive a link to this thread.

Micro Image (a supporting vendor of this forum) sells fog light kits for 2006-2011 Yaris that are actually documented and work properly with the Yaris. They charge more than the cheap ebay kits sell for, but include a high quality relay that plugs into the OEM fog light relay socket. The cheap relay included with the ebay kits is an extremely poor quality relay with a high likelihood of eventual catastrophic failure. I have seen enough pictures of melted ones to know that it is not something that I would want to have sitting under my dash.

Here is a link to the Micro Image kits:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Fog...?categoryId=-1
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Rammy

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Does anybody know where I can get JUST the wiring harness. I bought these cheap ebay lights and am one of the people that have been PMing CT so I just need a new harness. And what are the bulbs that come with the Micro Image lights? I either have H1 or H11 HIDs that came with the eBay kit so I just want to keep my HIDs if possible since I have tested them and they actually work. If I can still use my HIDs that came with the kit I will probably buy the whole kit.
Rammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
Does anybody know where I can get JUST the wiring harness. I bought these cheap ebay lights and am one of the people that have been PMing CT so I just need a new harness. And what are the bulbs that come with the Micro Image lights? I either have H1 or H11 HIDs that came with the eBay kit so I just want to keep my HIDs if possible since I have tested them and they actually work. If I can still use my HIDs that came with the kit I will probably buy the whole kit.
After seeing this for years and dealing with helping folks like Scott has on this topic the short answer is you will not be able to get just a harness somewhere unless someone has one just kicking around for some unknown reason.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Rammy

Do you know what bulbs are in the fog lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
After seeing this for years and dealing with helping folks like Scott has on this topic the short answer is you will not be able to get just a harness somewhere unless someone has one just kicking around for some unknown reason.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Yaris foglights are H11 bulbs

Scott, thank you, we will continue to improve our kit and minimize the tech help needed afterward.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I typically get 2 to 3 PMs a week from people who have purchased cheap fog light kits on eBay and are having trouble installing them. These always turn into PM chains, as there is never good documentation with the kits, and typically, the people who have purchased them and are asking the questions have zero experience with automotive wiring.

I never mind helping people out, but I have reached the end of my patience with this topic. So, from now on, those who PM me for support with ebay fog kits will simply receive a link to this thread.

Micro Image (a supporting vendor of this forum) sells fog light kits for 2006-2011 Yaris that are actually documented and work properly with the Yaris. They charge more than the cheap ebay kits sell for, but include a high quality relay that plugs into the OEM fog light relay socket. The cheap relay included with the ebay kits is an extremely poor quality relay with a high likelihood of eventual catastrophic failure. I have seen enough pictures of melted ones to know that it is not something that I would want to have sitting under my dash.

UNLESS it's a 2012, which are prewired.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Rammy

Thanks. I'm going to buy the Micro Image kitsee if I can sell the actual housing for the ebay kit and use my H11 HIDs.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
Thanks. I'm going to buy the Micro Image kitsee if I can sell the actual housing for the ebay kit and use my H11 HIDs.
You stated in an another post, "its all knock off material", and you now want to drop HIDs in them???
Who's your insurance carrier??
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Rammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
You stated in an another post, "its all knock off material", and you now want to drop HIDs in them???
Who's your insurance carrier??
Funny. The HIDs look just like the ones I put in my headlights and I've tested them so I they seem good. Their slim ballast and the only slim ballasts I've found are $70+. And besides theres a fuse.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
bairjo

CTSCOTT, You read my mind. I am planning an install whenever I find the stalk at a good price from a local junk yard. I have been planning on getting the micro image kit. I am embarrassed to admit that i purchased one of those cheap ebay kits when i had my 08. Junk. Live and learn....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
GTBaker

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
If you're not going to tell us how to install Ebay fogs...can you tell us how to change the blinker fluid?
GTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Your Link says it's back ordered next to: Availability.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
bestyaris

Drives: Polar White 4 Dr
I have ebay $40 shipped fog lights.

It is just for "looks" ...light pattern is horrible, beaming everywhere....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Just posting this for reference, I have a 2007 Belta (RHD), here is a pic of my stalk connector

ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobear View Post
Just posting this for reference, I have a 2007 Belta (RHD), here is a pic of my stalk connector

On RHD cars the connector is mirrored, so the yellow and white/black on the right are the pins that get shorted by the stalk to turn the fogs on.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Read the link bitches!!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I purchased after market ones that couldn't be aimed right. Even the ones Toyota sells arent really fog lights. They have poor adjustability too and actually make the fog harder to see through. They are really driving lights that ad a tiny bit of periferal illumination that can help in spotting roadside game at night. Even with yellow bulbs they dont cut the fog but they add a nice aesthetic touch to the car I think. If I had to do it again I would have mounted the lights only and wouldn't have gone to the trouble of wiring them in.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Rammy

So I picked up the Micro Image kit about 2 months ago and they were easy to put in. I did put the Ebay HID lights in and I personally think they look way better than the HID lights my dad bought at a shop (but thats just me). I haven't had any problems so far. Just wanted to share.