Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
? Drop oil pan to check pump pickup screen Toyota Yaris 1NZFE

(? Drop oil pan to check oil pump pickup screen Toyota Yaris 1NZFE)
Anyone done it? Looks like simple little flat pan on bottom of block...just need new gasket in hand...no other parts to remove?
Why? 141k mile motor feels like new, but sometimes seems like light clatter at cold start up-- sort of like a car that has hydraulic lifters filling or something. Then I recall friends Hemi Durango that had oil pressure light coming on and found oil pickup screen full of black crud...and photos on this Yaris forum of an ugly brown/black scene under the valve cover of one of these engines.

Dropping pan also finds engine parts, metal shavings, whatever, and is a way to remove all the dirty oil. Some might even stick a magnet to it inside.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Do you know the maintenance history of the car? If it's had regular oil changes I wouldn't bother dropping the pan.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
(? Drop oil pan to check oil pump pickup screen Toyota Yaris 1NZFE)
Anyone done it? Looks like simple little flat pan on bottom of block...just need new gasket in hand...no other parts to remove?
Why? 141k mile motor feels like new, but sometimes seems like light clatter at cold start up-- sort of like a car that has hydraulic lifters filling or something. Then I recall friends Hemi Durango that had oil pressure light coming on and found oil pickup screen full of black crud...and photos on this Yaris forum of an ugly brown/black scene under the valve cover of one of these engines.

Dropping pan also finds engine parts, metal shavings, whatever, and is a way to remove all the dirty oil. Some might even stick a magnet to it inside.
I personally like the idea of doing this procedure. I too have heard of fouled oil pickup screens but I believe it occurs most often after neglect as suggested by ex-x-fire. That said, I think that it couldn't do any harm and probably do some good, even of it was just slightly dirty.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Have no idea of service history during first 135 k miles. Forgot about the little oil pan until I had it up to drain oil for a change to Castrol full synthetic and an expensive K&N filter combo.(The filter has a little hex head!)
Filter drainback valve functioning can also play into this...particularly w/ a hydraulic cam-chain tensioner. Maybe I'm just hearing cold piston slap or cold original exhaust donut leak? Or just sensitive ears adjusting to motor sound.

Anyone ever pull the pan and/or have any experience finding junk on the oil pickup screen?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
white89gt

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Didn't realize these had hycraulic chain tensioners. That may be what you are hearing.

Mind you.... I am a Ford man with a Toyota. But I found a TSB where Toyota changed its recommendation of 5W-30 oil to 5W-20. When Ford did this, one reason was because of that very thing.... noise from the chains until the the tensioner was charged.

Are you using 5W-30 in it? Might be worth a shot to try 5W-20 on your next change.
white89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
dogsridewith

That's great to know. Thanks. But I'm an old 10-40-in-everything-liquid-cooled guy and even 5W/30 sounds thin.
I'm guessing that wasn't a Yaris Toyota TSB? or it would have come up somewhere before on this forum?

(First thing is to check valve clearance and see how ugly it is under there...there's a bit of black color where I can see under the oil fill cap.)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
TSB was for the Yaris and has been brought up before.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I've pulled the pan on my '02 echo when it had 375k km on it. Pick up was clean as new. Unless your car was neglected I wouldn't pull the pan and expect to find anything.

1nz's are noisy and it's typically the injectors. If it was bad piston slap you'd hear a diesel engine under your hood on really cold startups. Its a sound you don't forget when you hear an engine with bad piston slap. 1nz's aren't known for slap.

It's possible your valve clearances are off and you need new shims but even my echo's clearances were well within spec at 375k km so that isn't likely.

Fwiw my echo looked sort of like it had sludge when peaing into the oil fill hole. When I removed the head I realized it was just staining from years of use but no actual sludge. We took over ownership at 287k km and it was dd in brutal stop and go gta traffic and we were told it was "maintained"

It's surprising how resilient these engines are. Likely one I'm the reasons toyota kept it in production for so damn long
Old 10-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
dogsridewith

Valve adjustment check Corolla Yaris

Thanks for that detailed insight. 91 Corolla wasn't changing valve clearance in 170k miles, and my expectation is that 07 Yaris will be within spec. But it is a good thing to confirm w/ a new-to-owner high-miles car. (Easy to check on both mentioned vehicles...and hard to adjust on both.)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
technical jargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I've pulled the pan on my '02 echo when it had 375k km on it. Pick up was clean as new. Unless your car was neglected I wouldn't pull the pan and expect to find anything.

1nz's are noisy and it's typically the injectors. If it was bad piston slap you'd hear a diesel engine under your hood on really cold startups. Its a sound you don't forget when you hear an engine with bad piston slap. 1nz's aren't known for slap.

It's possible your valve clearances are off and you need new shims but even my echo's clearances were well within spec at 375k km so that isn't likely.

Fwiw my echo looked sort of like it had sludge when peaing into the oil fill hole. When I removed the head I realized it was just staining from years of use but no actual sludge. We took over ownership at 287k km and it was dd in brutal stop and go gta traffic and we were told it was "maintained"

It's surprising how resilient these engines are. Likely one I'm the reasons toyota kept it in production for so damn long
Peaing into your oil fill hole wont help! LMAO ( thats a miss spell with comic timing ) great thread i am enjoying the read.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I had thought about commenting on 'peaing into the hole' but let it go.

One thing about tmontague, his fat thumbs on the phone often makes for comical reading.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Pizzaboyracer

Drives: 07 liftbsck
I too have fat thumbs .

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Pizzaboyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Bahah geeze, please do not pee into your engine. Although I've heard it's good for 10 whp.

I need my BlackBerry back my fingers are too fat to not have a physical keyboard
Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Thumbs up In car tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Bahah geeze, please do not pee into your engine. Although I've heard it's good for 10 whp.

I need my BlackBerry back my fingers are too fat to not have a physical keyboard
Lol mind you the peaing would explain the staining Lmao after a night with a bottle of good Scotish whiskey ( 12 year old single malt ) you might get some extra MPH, as for the swipe phones.....i dont do them just give me a basic no thrills phone and i will live in real life not slaved to the social networks like my kids.My oldest son never puts his phone down i think its part of him, maybe a SIMbionic relationship ?
I remember the original mobile phone it was like a car battery with a handle and a phone stuck to it and a long antenna ........how things have changed in 30 years!
My grandfather had one in his Jaguar between passenger and driver it was sooo cool back then!