Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
majinyaris

Drives: White 08 Liftback
squeaking help...

When i shift into 1st and 2nd gear i hear a squeaking sound. more so with 2nd gear. all the others are just fine. just got done changing the gearbox oil and it still makes noise in the same gears. somebody help please! thanks...
majinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
This is a copy from another thread from just the other day...my original posting with a couple of comments.

My 2008 has been doing the same thing for over a year...squeaks from 1-2 and 3-2. I greased the bushings with silicone lube, but it came back a short while later. Just this morning I noticed that my clutch was squeaking. I took it into the dealership and they were going to charge me a whopping $178.00 to lube the gear linkage bushings and the shifter stem...I said NO WAY. The car is under warranty. I asked what they were proposing to do about the squeaking clutch and was met with "uh, hang on a second"...they came back and said, no it's just your shifter stick. I turned around and said "I may be a woman, but I do know a bit about cars. I learned how to drive a standard and have always driven one...never to have this problem. I want it fixed and I want it covered under warranty. The car is ONLY TWO YEARS OLD.

They're replacing the gear linkage bushings (which is the original problem), lubing it all up and are replacing the clutch bushings as well! (not sure about the clutch problem...but hey, I'll see how it goes) All under warranty:) Sometimes you just have to advocate for yourself!!
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
majinyaris

Thanks for the reply! I found out what the problem was. If you move the shifter around and look in the engine bay (under the air filter) you'll see some parts moving. All i did was spray some WD40 on it and what do ya know. Squeaking is gone! I'm guessing it's because all the water that gets in there washes away the grease.???
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
You don't wash grease away that easy with water. They're pretty much bone dry when we get the car brand new. I took anti-seize and dabbed all the linkages with that and re-assemble it. Spraying it with worthless WD40 only cleans it, and I'm sure it will return, as it did for me when I knew it was a quick fix to spray it. It takes 10 mins to take apart though, just take your time.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
majinyaris

anti-seize huh? I'll do that! thanks.