Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Warped

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2007
Microphone from HU to steering wheel

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new HU with bluetooth and don't really know where/how I will placed the microphone. I was thinking about placing it on top of the steering wheel, but I really don't know how to get there. I've seen a couple of tutorial to remove and replace the HU, so I'm fine until there. My problem is once I'm there, will it be easy to pass the cable and make the microphone arrive near the steering wheel? Or do I have to disassemble other parts of the dash?Only tutorial I've found was some thread here saying to check the AC repair manual, but I don't seem to find the right page that only explains the part about the dash removal.

The other solution would be something like this:

But I think this is out of my league...

Thanks in advance,
Nick AKA the car noob
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that looks to low to be useful talking naturally to me. The top of the A pillar seems a better place imo, it is how i had one in an old conversion van. From behind the hu to behind the drawer behind the steering wheel is all empty. From there right up the a pillar shouldn't be hard.check out the repair manual for specifics. Basically the Yaris is one of the easiest cars to tinker with.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Warped

Alright thank you, I'll check this out
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Warped

There seems to be a lot of things to disassemble that seems useless for me. Could I just stop at IP-22 right before "14. REMOVE NO. 1 INSTRUMENT PANEL BOX DOOR
SUB-ASSEMBLY"?

Those steps too seems useless:
7. REMOVE FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM
WEATHERSTRIP RH (See page IR-50)
8. REMOVE FRONT DOOR OPENING TRIM
WEATHERSTRIP LH (See page IR-50)
9. REMOVE FRONT PILLAR GARNISH RH (See page IR-
58)
10. REMOVE FRONT PILLAR GARNISH LH (See page IR-
59)

Thank you
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that is written for the techs to take their time and get paid to do stuff they don't need to. If you put your head under the dash by the pedals you'll see a ton of empty room, and way up back you might see a bunch of wires. I wouldn't even be surprised if you could snake a wire from the top of the a pillar and have it end up in the driver side foot well without taking anything apart.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Warped

Haha ok that's what I thought. Thanks a lot, I feel like it's going to be easier than I first thought.