Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
Dasboard rattling

I have a real problem with rattling behind the instrument panel where is the windshield a/c went. the rattle is so intense that my usual fix doesn't work ( turn on the radio ) :D
does somebody experience the same ? what was the fix ?
thanks
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
I got the rattle after removing the factory deck and installing an after-market mount everything was tight but I haven't bothered to open it back up to figure it out. when driving it's not noticeable just when starting off in first gear.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
rattles.. could be so many things.. check toyota for any TSB's. that the best help i can give you.. also, if you dont have any mods on the car.. if its still under warranty, you could take it to the dealer and they could find out what it is.. if its a clip or something that happend from the factory, they it will cover it.. but if they find like a penny or candy in the air ducts or something that u possible droped in there. they they may charge you. its up to you.. u could take a girl with you and get her to cry if they try that and see if they will forge some paperwork to make it under warranty.. lol.. seen that happen a few times
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
ya know in my car 2010 sedan i had some rattles where the side airbags are like in those pillars where the front windsheild meets the front doors on both sides i just stuck a piece of foam between the glass and the plastic it seems to not bother me anymore. is it safe though prob not but i dont care hahah ill take some pics
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
henry33

I do not want to make the service to take the dashboard a part since it would be disaster after that.
it will rattle everywhere :)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
ilikerice

hey hey.. give us techs more credit then that. i worked for lexus and we get all the old people who listen to talk radio and can hear every little ping, rattle, thud, bonk, squeek, whistle in a car. i have pulled many dashes apart to find loose change in air ducts. pencils and papers behind glove boxes. and put them back together to make sure that its fixed AND no other rattles that they can complain about.

only reason why i say that they would do a crappy job, is cuz they are not flagging thier hours honestly per warranty and feel they are losing thier flat rate hours cuz they have to find a noise. if they flag thier hours like they are suppose to. warranty will cover whatever time they spent on that vehicle. but a tech who just jumps on a job without any stamped time start trying to see if they can find it fast to move on to the next BIG money job. thats when i feel they dont do a good job.

a reputable toyota dealership will warranty thier work. so if there is a new rattle or noise after they fixed ur last one.. come back and they should fix it til thier is nothing else wrong... then the tech pays for that by doing it on his time. i feel toyota expericienced techs are experts in toyota's. u pay them for thier knowledge. a mechanic at a service shop knows a few things about alot of cars.. and a dealership shop knows alot about a few cars.

hell, we get complaints "when i put down my arm rest the leather makes a squeek sound"... all we do is use some leather conditioner and tell them to apply every so often. makes ur leather stay softer and last longer..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
my friend works for chrystler and says if they get a car with a rattle they remove what ever parts they feel could cause it, order alot of new parts and make it 10X worse.

check the side vents, my passanger side vent was making one hell of a noise and nothing would make it go away completly so i took crazy glue and went around it and never heard it again. drivers side is starting to do it too a little but not bad yet.

i also had the side pillar rattle, i took them off (what a mission that was, be very careful with the "one time use" clips) and i put foam in the little channels in the dash the pillar covers sit in and that was then fixed.

the last dash rattle i fixed was the trim piece around the guage cluster. the plastic was actually rubbing on the cluster making one hell of a noise. i fixed it by trimming off about 1/8th - 1/4th of an inch off. i also put foam (house a/c foam sealing strips work great) on the top part of that trim piece.

other rattles around the car i have fixed and found were the door pannels ( ALL OF THEM!! INCLUDING HATCH PANNEL) they make a very odd sound (almost more of a squeek) fixed it by using more a/c foam (peal and stick version) and took the pannels off and put it all the way around on the lip that was rubbing. i also had a few rattles in the trunk, this was from a drill bit that WAS lost but now found, the little stupid caps that cover the top of the shocks (i took them off and put peal and stick foam around the edge) and that was gone. i have one more but have not found it yet. its not yet annoying and not very noticable but i believe it is coming from little thingy in the celing that holds the middle seat belt buckle.

i also had a rattle comming from the engine bay, took it to toyota and they said my airbox was loose. they say it was probably caused from when i removed that stupid little pipe off the end. lol.

so now my car is quieter then a buick :)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

little more detail on what i said (sorry no pic of the side vents) {not my pic so i hope the person doesnt mind)
speedoh.jpg

Last edited by yaris2010RS; 01-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
ilikerice

my friend works for chrystler and says if they get a car with a rattle they remove what ever parts they feel could cause it, order alot of new parts and make it 10X worse

that is a HORRIBLE way of repairing rattles... at toyota, they sell a foam kit. comes with many different sizes and types of adhesive foam. if i can get one from a friend i will take some pics of it and show u.. but we dissassemble the dash and ad foam to places we feel that are loose, like clips, and that may be touching like panels and vents. i would hate to work in a place that just orders parts to replace what is already the problem..

thats why chrystler has horrible customer service. makes no sense.

thats a good starting point with the cluster. easy to get to.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
henry33

thanks for the answers ;) I will try my best to put foam everywhere until it became quit as a mercedes :D
how much cost the foam kit ?
when you have it please make an photo of it ;)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Okay, I used to have lots of rattles in the dash. I took it apart, and used scotch electrical tape inside the clips that hold the dash parts in place. The tape prevents the pieces from vibrating, and it eliminated rattles.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

i did that with the dash face (part arounf the radio and cluster) did u remove the entire top of the dash? i want to remove mine and do this too but i dont even know where to begin...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry33 View Post
thanks for the answers ;) I will try my best to put foam everywhere until it became quit as a mercedes :D
how much cost the foam kit ?
when you have it please make an photo of it ;)
its not really a foam kit i just found some extra pieces of thin foam like the pads that come with snowboard bindings that is the perfect stuff
ill put up pics after i eat some food ME SO HUNGRY!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
matthewai

so yeah heres the foam it looks a little sloppy but thats just from the inside you cant tell from the outside cuz the foam is black on one side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foamds.jpg (66.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg foamps.jpg (40.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I have got pieces of foam and felt jammed in places all over the car and it really helps but there is always a new one that comes and goes and some that cant be located. I have decided that the car must have been intentionally designed to rattle as a safety feature to keep you irritated enough that you are less likely to fall asleep when driving tired.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote