Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Changing Gear Oil Of the C160

I am in doubt which is the drain and the fill bolts.

I do not have the C160 manual so I need to assure I am doing this thing right

Please refer to the pictures and if you are sure only reply if I am correct or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C160.JPG (83.4 KB, 149 views)
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
yes, drain out the bottom, fill in the top. if you can figure out how to do it the other way around, let me know ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
yes, drain out the bottom, fill in the top. if you can figure out how to do it the other way around, let me know ;)
I know the fill is from top and drain to bottom .... I meant if these are the right bolts
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yes that's correct. On th C160 there's also a bolt of the same size on the very top you can us to pour the oil into. Just leave the one on the front open to know when it's full.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Yes that's correct. On th C160 there's also a bolt of the same size on the very top you can us to pour the oil into. Just leave the one on the front open to know when it's full.
The top of the transmission is a definete no way since there is too much to unplug/unmount to access it
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
yloon

Drives: AE101
Hi all,

I am C160 Gearbox owner too. The Oil replacement done by normal mechanic that 1st time seeing C160.

The top holes are thru one. meaning oil can over flow to another when over filled. and the bottom are the drain plug.

I have a question here too. All my buddies said C160 consume 2-2.5 litre of oil.
But when I drain my oil, I can manage to drain out about 1.7-1.8 litre of oil only.

second question will be, what is the correct rating of gear oil we should use, I tried toyota LSD 85w90, it cause not smoothness on gear shifting.
I wonder am I using a wrong oil or not.

I know most of ppl are using motul and torco 75w90, Is there any alternative oil that is less expensive in the market?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19112010382e.jpg (126.8 KB, 112 views)
yloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Amsoil, castrol sytec, royal purple... The list is extensive. I'm using Castrol Sytec full synthetic right now 75w90. Mine doesn't have an LSD. I'm assuming yours does as you've tried the Toyota LSD stuff. If you do, GM is suposed to have some pretty good oil for LSD equipped transmissions. Give their oil a try. And mine only took about 2L when I filled it.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
royal purple or mobile1 from autozone. it's cheap, can be found in just about any rating you want (i chose 75/90) and it's GL-5 certified. you dont even need addative if you have a locker/limited slip.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Parmas

Mine is about 2L aswell. I saw a difference changing oil to Torco 75W/90W when changing gears. I used the Torco LSD additive but hadn't try it hard to notice difference.

Gear oil is a good investment and if done well it could last for year on normal driving so don't get cheap on that.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
royal purple or mobile1 from autozone. it's cheap, can be found in just about any rating you want (i chose 75/90) and it's GL-5 certified. you dont even need addative if you have a locker/limited slip.
mobil1 tore up my syncros. i don't recommend it.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
yloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
Are you saying all rated GL-5 gearlube can be used in LSD gearbox even they dont state any LSD word on the bottle?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
mobil1 tore up my syncros. i don't recommend it.
i dont think it was the oil that destroyed your syncro's.

well, i'm not going to say not to use additives because when i do and someone doesnt put it in something will screw up. so, do what you will and i'll do what i will...and let's be happy.

with my experience with jeep, dodge, ford, chevy, chrysler, limited slip rears, transmissions requiring additives, and locked rears....i've never used additive and i've never had slippage or damage due to over-heat or chattering or any other negative return from a clutch material gear...and i use only either mobile-1 or royal purple.

so again, to re-iterate, i'm not telling you not to use it, nor am i telling you it's not required....but i dont use it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
yloon

Is there anyway to find out what toyota OEM gear oil for levin bz-r 6 speed with LSD?
are they using those Redline, Amsoil, and so on too?