Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
James in Denver

Drives: '09 Yaris 2dr Bayou Blue
Oscillating idle / shudders with HEAT ON - 09 hatchback

Howdy Yaris experts,

My first post :)

I have a Bayou Blue 2009 Yaris Hatchback 5 speed. Just got it 3 months ago used, but with only 8500 miles.

Anyway, its gotten colder in Colorado and I've noticed that the car idles very roughly when I turn on the heat. It oscillates from normal say 5 secs to vibrating the front of the car for maybe 1 sec, then back to normal. This happens when its warmed up usually.

Outside temp is 30s to 50s, car temp light is off (although it might happen when its still cold, never checked).

It idles normal when the heat is off. Haven't tried the AC yet as its cold outside. No difference with headlights on or off so I don't think its power/alternator related.

I have the remaining factory warranty, but I want at least a little idea of what might be wrong so I don't get screwed by the service techs.

Any ideas?

James in Denver
James in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
xaero_81

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Sport 5spd.
Mine shudders when the cooling fan kicks in then it levels out. I wouldn't worry about it.
xaero_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
They all shudder when fan comes on and when ac runs...ac does not have to be pushed in for ac compressor to run some heat settings run it also to keep refrig moving.
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Sounds pretty normal. If it runs "smoothly" with the heat off try moving the selector off one of the defroster selections such as lower vents only. I suspect the idle/vibration is from the AC comp as stated above. Try turning the AC on for a few seconds also for comparison to confirm.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Mine did same thing. I thought it was going to stall out sometimes. I replaced the spark plugs with some Denso Iridums and it has never idled low again. The old plugs were very worn down at 104,000 miles. It may start bogging down again after 20K miles on plugs. Have to wait and see.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote