Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
grilled cheeseus

Drives: 2007 3 door 5MT
Burnt smell in cabin at high speed in cold weather

This is a weird one. 2007 Yaris liftback 5MT 3 door, 102k miles.

The burnt smell is not distinctly burning oil or burning plastic. It could be burning rubber but I'm not sure. The smell is accompanied by a scratchy throat and watery eyes, not good.

I ONLY notice this when all of the following are true:
  • Cold weather (around/below freezing)
  • Vent setting on fresh air (It mostly goes away on recirc, but I can't drive for hours that way.)
  • At highway speeds, maybe 55+ MPH. If I speed up the smell gets worse.
  • After 30-45 minutes of driving

The car is well-maintained with no other issues. Last spring, a shop replaced my drive shaft seals at the transmission, said there was some seeping of gear oil. Didn't notice the issue all summer and now it is back. Just looked at the drive shaft seals and they're still good.

My questions for the hive mind:
  • Where exactly does the cabin vent system take in fresh air? I'm wondering if something near that intake is producing the smell.
  • Can the heater core itself produce this smell? (Does my Yaris only heat using engine coolant or is there also a resistive heating element?)
  • Has anyone else experienced or diagnosed this problem before?

Thank you! I'm driving across the USA next month and would like to breathe easy.
grilled cheeseus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, burnt, smell