Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Here is the best place to buy tools for all your DIYers

http://www.harborfreight.com/

For people who are just getting into working on thier cars. And not sure if they want to spend a ton of money buying tools that they will rarely use. This place is a great resource to get increadibly cheap cheap tools that are halfway decent. I work as a mechanic by trade and i go here ocassionally. Stuff is literally 5 percent of the price my local snapon tool truck sells the same tool for. Most of it is stuff that has been copied off original and molded using a cheaper material. And some of the stuff is exactly the same just no name brand.

I usually stick to stuff that is solid such as wrenches and screwdrivers that are pretty hard to break. But there are lots of other good things there. If you sign up for thier club membership you get email coupons for thier local store which is sometimes 60 percent more additional off thier already cheap prices.

So anyone looking to tackle on a DIY but afraid to because they dont have the tools yet heres the place to look.

As you get more seriouse and want to step up for some better tools but cheap heres another great place to check out. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
stick to craftsman for sockets and ratchets. i've had many HF tools break under even hand-loading and caused some damage..

their spring compressors are really cheesy too, i just rent a set from the local autoparts shop these days (after having a HF one fail on me).

but HF is a great place to get shrink tube, electrical hardware, air tools etc. just be careful with their ratchets and sockets :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
stick to craftsman for sockets and ratchets. i've had many HF tools break under even hand-loading and caused some damage..
+1, my husband has broken several and now prefers going to sears to get the occasional socket (craftsman) he may need.

But yeah, HF has several good deals, but most of the time you do get what you pay for. I like buying NiMh batteries there, they're usually pretty cheap.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
its a hit or miss with them, cheap crap that is easily replaceable that they sell is great, but i wouldnt trust them with things that could cause death.... IE Jacks/JackStands or anything else expensive...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Bought a nice hydraulic shop press from them when I had to swap out some u-joints in my Jeep. Made a real PITA job a breeze. +1 for Harbor Freight. There are definitely better quality tools out there, but for a backyard mechanic it's an excellent option.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
going to harbor freight is like buying menards drill bits, you get what you pay for.

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Bought a nice hydraulic shop press from them when I had to swap out some u-joints in my Jeep. Made a real PITA job a breeze. +1 for Harbor Freight. There are definitely better quality tools out there, but for a backyard mechanic it's an excellent option.
you had to use a press to get u joints out? i just use a hammer and punch 1310 joints in and out in 3 minutes

oh and i bought an aluminum racing jack at HF. 4 years of serious abuse (used at every autocross to swap wheels out) and it's just starting to leak. i'm gonna pull it apart and re-seal it shortly and back in business. best $90 i've ever spent, no more scissor jack lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
If you are a professional get the good stuff. If you use a tool once or twice a year Harbor freight is great. Especially on their sidewalk sales or internet coupons.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
you had to use a press to get u joints out? i just use a hammer and punch 1310 joints in and out in 3 minutes

oh and i bought an aluminum racing jack at HF. 4 years of serious abuse (used at every autocross to swap wheels out) and it's just starting to leak. i'm gonna pull it apart and re-seal it shortly and back in business. best $90 i've ever spent, no more scissor jack lol
It was a last resort. I tried hammer and punch, sockets, heating, solvents even a ball joint press - those bastards were practically welded in. The hydraulic punched them right out and it sounded like a shotgun going off when they let go.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
It was a last resort. I tried hammer and punch, sockets, heating, solvents even a ball joint press - those bastards were practically welded in. The hydraulic punched them right out and it sounded like a shotgun going off when they let go.
been there done that.. i use an air over oil press to knock out the chevy (teflon) joints. other than that it's BFH and punch all the way.

(btw if you need custom driveshaft work PM me)
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
If you are a professional get the good stuff. If you use a tool once or twice a year Harbor freight is great. Especially on their sidewalk sales or internet coupons.
good place to get metric nut/bolt storehouse.. they're crap bolts but they work in a jam. also a great place to get a nice auto darkening welding helmet.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Don't buy cheap sockets.
I stick with Craftsman. If they break they give you a new one at SEARS.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Don't get HF's ball joint press either, they snap very easily...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
All the comments are right. You just have to use common sense with what you purchase from them. I wouldnt use 12 point sockets or wrenches from them as they will round off. But anything that sees very light use will be okay. Just stuff for poeple who will work on thier car only a handful of times a year. For more professional use the minimum brand i would use is craftsman. And for seriouse profesionals there is always snap-on tools and matco.

But for people just getting into working on thier own cars and dont want to fork out hundreds of dollars costing them more to do a service for thier own car than it would be to take it to a shop this is the way to go.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
going to harbor freight is like buying menards drill bits, you get what you pay for.
x2
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
robkay

Drives: Hatch
If you are going to buy something a little more expensive than a cheap hand tool it pays to do a little research. One of the things I found is that, like anything else, there are manufacturers who make a non-branded version of a product and a variety of sellers put there "brand" on it. I was searching for a hydraulic floor jack and found that one Sears sold was exactly the same one as a couple others stores carried a lot cheaper in a generic brand.

Also, you can buy HF discount coupons on eBay and get great discounts on things. Some are for single items, some are for total purchase, so you can get a great deal on several things. I ended up getting a jack at HF. It was a great value because it was already on sale, plus I used a coupon.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Went to Harbor Freight today for a few stocking stufers and saw this. Managers special for $399. I had a 15% coupon so I got it for $340. 5 hp 2 stage 22 inch path. It probably won't snow the rest of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (124.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
some of there stuff isnt bad. i like going there for disposible stuff like rags zipties and stuff. if you want the baller shit get strap-on... i mean snap-on sorry lol
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote