Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Mond'z

Drives: Hopefully a 07 Yaris HB
New Car Paint

It might be a newbie question, do we have to put a layer of polish or wax on a brand new car? Or the manufactor already have it on brand new paint? Thanks!
Mond'z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mond'z
It might be a newbie question, do we have to put a layer of polish or wax on a brand new car? Or the manufactor already have it on brand new paint? Thanks!

New cars now a days have protective stuff on it, like a protective coating (clear coat), what you're talking about it is keeping that up. Poslish/wax is to protect the outter clear coat as well as paint or at least preserve it or restores it for older cars. Most people wax after they wash the car, it protects against the forces of nature, such as long sun exposure, rain, acid rain, snow etc. (only so far though), I'm just talking about the outter layer of coating on the paint. So I guess my point it new or old waxing is a good thing!
Hope that helps or gives somewhat of an idea, I'm sure many others here can share just as good of information if not better than what I said.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Mond'z

Cool, thanks for the info! Becuase I live in Toronto so I will be driving on snow + salt + water, and I don't want to damage the paint on the car!

Winter sucks!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mond'z
Cool, thanks for the info! Becuase I live in Toronto so I will be driving on snow + salt + water, and I don't want to damage the paint on the car!

Winter sucks!

You're welcome for the info but remember waxing doesn't prevent rusting but cars now a days don't rust as fast as the cars of yore...I live in a place where it snows as well, getting the salt off the car is more important, of course you can't totally get it off or keep it off during the winter but when spring comes and what not that's more ideal not to say you can't wash your car during the winter, I do as do others. Sorry not to confuse you too much!
Waxing is helping to protect the clear coat on your car as well as making your car look
amazing!

P.S. i agree, I don't care for winter as well!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
Mond'z

I don't know if that's true, but a teacher of mine in highschool told me that don't wash the car too often during the winter, because once you wash off the salt/dirt on your car, when you get back on the road the new salt/dirt will stick on the body again which will damage the clearcoat more compare to the dried salt/dirt on your car before. Well I donno if that's true but somehow it makes sense to me, what you guys think?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Salt is corrosive
The more you can keep it off the better.

I wash my car about 2X a week in the winter, I will spray under the car as well to get the salt off as much of the suspension and floor as possible.

I disagee with the statement about older cars rusting faster then cars today.
The paint is applied so thin and the metals are so thin on new cars that the paint just seems to fall off them.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Salt is corrosive
The more you can keep it off the better.

I wash my car about 2X a week in the winter, I will spray under the car as well to get the salt off as much of the suspension and floor as possible.

I disagee with the statement about older cars rusting faster then cars today.
The paint is applied so thin and the metals are so thin on new cars that the paint just seems to fall off them.

I was referring to cars of the 80's and possibly the 90's, generally speaking cause back then manufacturers didn't put much or at all protective coatings on the cars, if that makes sense. I could be wrong. But you do have a point about paint being thin on newer cars.