Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #325
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
The auto recycler where I got my used alternator, A/C compressor and engine cover is going to give me a different compressor. So, instead of slapping all the body parts back on tonight, I'm going to remove the compressor. Yet another delay to my first test drive.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #326
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Soon...sooooon...

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #327
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
One thing I will add based on my experience with the auto...

The ECM is adaptive, this means it will build fuel trim maps and shift patterns based on YOUR driving habits.

My wife would drive my car most of the time, so when I got in it the car felt sluggish due to her conservative driving. Once I was able to drive the car a while, the performance feeling returns.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #328
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Soon...sooooon...
I know. This stupid compressor is messing with my fun.

Looking forward to the following on my first drive:

1) smoother, more robust acceleration
2) no clunks, clanks, knocks
3) cruise control testing

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #329
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
One thing I will add based on my experience with the auto...

The ECM is adaptive, this means it will build fuel trim maps and shift patterns based on YOUR driving habits.

My wife would drive my car most of the time, so when I got in it the car felt sluggish due to her conservative driving. Once I was able to drive the car a while, the performance feeling returns.
Ah Ha! Clearly then there is only one acceptable driving style.

I'm more of an accelerate fast, but not burnout kind of guy...at least since getting older. So, say, routinely running up close to redline at WOT off a ramp onto the highway for example shouldn't adversely affect either my engine or trans, then?

Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #330
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I use WOT regularly as prescribed by my physician
Old 11-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #331
06YarisRS

Quote:
I use WOT regularly as prescribed by my physician
I'm guessing mine is going to say the same at my next appointment.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-06-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #332
06YarisRS

5 minute job removing the a/c compressor. The little plastic panel next to the radiator pops out easily with the removal of two plastic pins and creates a good sized window to the compressor, water pump etc. Excellent design on behalf of Toyota. I still think that changing out a water pump with the 2ZR shoehorned in there will be a royal pain in the butt.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #333
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #334
06YarisRS

First Drive Tonight!

Initial observations:

Much more refined feel. The engine is much smoother and the valve train is almost inaudible.

The car pulls hard right up to about 6000 rpm before it shifts. Does it push you back into your seat? Not exactly, but it's definitely more potent than the 1.5.

It's much more 'torquey', if that's a word.

Shifting is precise.

My little aging Yaris (with 180000 kms) now has an engine with around 70000 kms!

Am I impressed? Damn straight!

Please excuse both the mess and the crappy pic quality.

I have a small exhaust clunk as the muffler, on some bumps and harder cornering is hitting the spring seat, but I think this is a quick fix when I get the exhaust work done. EDIT: The muffler is just turned a bit counterclockwise. My midpipe is in two sections (for shipping, I assume) so I just need to loosen the clamp, level the muffler and retighten. I expect that the new exhaust will allow the engine to breathe a little better. That oem muffler and piping is so tiny.

The 'new' used ac compressor is virtually silent.

As a major bonus, the cruise control is fully functional!

So, to Tom, Trevor, Adam and Sam (not in any particular order), a huge THANKS for helping me through this!!!

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-08-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #335
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I’m glad you took on this swap, we all learned something new and you now has a legit RS(nice badge!)

I wish I have a plaque or badge....or anything to give you as a welcome to the 2zr fam.

But sadly I never had anything made
Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #336
06YarisRS

Quote:
I’m glad you took on this swap, we all learned something new and you now has a legit RS(nice badge!)

I wish I have a plaque or badge....or anything to give you as a welcome to the 2zr fam.

But sadly I never had anything made
Thanks Tom! It's so cool. So glad I did the swap. Now...I get to update my sig.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #337
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
you now has a legit RS(nice badge!)
More legit...find yourself a TS badge. Got one in my garage but it's pretty beat up.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #338
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
The car pulls hard right up to about 6000 rpm before it shifts. Does it push you back into your seat? Not exactly, but it's definitely more potent than the 1.5.

It's much more 'torquey', if that's a word.

So, to Tom, Trevor, Adam and Sam (not in any particular order), a huge THANKS for helping me through this!!!
Always glad to help, especially when someone is pioneering a new variant!

Agreed, it's not sports car level acceleration, but it's there all the way to redline. My favorite part is the way it loves to pull several hundred pounds of trailer and a hatch full of tools. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #339
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Too cool

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #340
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
More legit...find yourself a TS badge. Got one in my garage but it's pretty beat up.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
I really like that idea, WeeYari. I think I may start looking. Does that badge go in the same place as the RS badge and would it attach in the same manner?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #341
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Oh right TS. I’m so confused now with all the different home-made versions we’ve created here...

1nz built n/a
1nz supercharged
1nz turbo
1nz with 6 speed
And
2zrfae swap
2zr with auto
2zr with 5 speed
2zr with 6 speed
Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #342
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Always glad to help, especially when someone is pioneering a new variant!

Agreed, it's not sports car level acceleration, but it's there all the way to redline. My favorite part is the way it loves to pull several hundred pounds of trailer and a hatch full of tools. =)
Thanks Sam! One of the things I was looking for in the swap is more torque for highway cruising. I never found the 1.5 to be particularly underpowered, but it would downshift on longer, steeper hills. I haven't actually had it out on the highway yet, so can't comment on that , but your comment about carrying extra mass around makes me optimistic. I do think there is something in the programming for the cruise control that makes the car downshift before it needs to. I have rolled up long hills with the cruise off and rarely had to drop a gear to maintain speed. Something tells me that despite the swap - and extra torque - that this behaviour won't change.