Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Yeah, it is a far drive. I've got everything I need already. Got the HU, replacement speakers and amp. installed already. All I want is some kind of hidden sub setup in my trunk / hatch area with my 10" shallow Pioneer sub. w/o sacrificing the spare tire.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #20
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
...... if you want me to do the work, you will need to be patient and wait, i always run a long waiting list, that menas car after car booked via deposits, usually in the 3-4 months range, infact, just last week i took a deposit for a car scheduled to come in late march/early april of next year.
LOL! B, you are getting more trouble now!

----

I just want to back this up. B's work is one of a kind and his master pieces usually stage in major tradeshows like CES and SEMA, and also offtenly seen in vehicles brought to JDM-Theory and HIN events around NorCal. From a simple 4hrs installation to a 8-week major custom change-over, I know his waiting queue is always jammed for a few months.

It is not necessary to have a fancy setup in a daily beater but I think its important to have the job done in the right way.

I wait for this appointment for 4+ months... I can't say B spared my queue with extra love in his appointment book. Damn it B!! You must finished the SEMA car early and taking my car easy as taking a vacation (j/k )
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #21
JosephDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
.................................................. ..........w/o sacrificing the spare tire.
It depends on how you use your vehicle but here is something I want to share.

I work in automotive industrial and this is what I have learned and seen. I dont know about your local road condition and how offten you run maintenance on tires, but I haven't had the need to swap the spare since I got my license. (knock, knock, knock on wood )

Actually I did change once a few years ago while I was in college. I was driving a friend's 7yr old car with only 25k miles in odometer. The 7yr-old tires had good thread but were found with cracks everywhere because of natural aging. It took me 30 min to swap the spare but it broke off within 2 miles of driving. I guess hhe spare was never maintained. (Maintenance the spare tire?? Just how often you look at that donut??)

If a flat really happens, I think it makes more sense to get AAA for help. Even some cellphone company offers $3/mon for free road side assistance these days; in some countries, there are credit-card/bank memberships also offer free towing. I know it is gambling to drive without a spare but I only use my car for in-town driving. I go for a rental car if I need to make a 3 hours driving trip, because a rental car cost less than $25 per day now. The rental car is bigger and no worry how dirty it gets, and I make less torturing to a small car like ours.

Talking about luck and gambling: looking at high-end vehicles, more n more bimmers and MBs now don't have the spare because equipping with run-on-flat tires. Guess what! These high-end tires can deal better chance to drive without air but when the damage is severe, the vehicle still have to wait for help or accept the faith of ruin the wheel to drive to a repair facility and pay for a replacement. I think the chances of bad happening are about the same in any case.

BTW, if you have a lowered vehicle that needs road side assistance, the tow-hatch-bar + flat-bed-truck are very important.

The o/e spare tire is about $200, the o/e lift-jack is about $150, and the o/e spare wheel is about another $150. The run-flat-tires cost 50% more than regular standard ones but run-flats is another gambling game to play.... and everytime I wish I don't need to buy them in my next car. Combin all factors, I think spare tire and equipment should be an purchasing option. JUST MY OPINION.

I take my chance and.... (knock, knock, knock) Sorry to get out of topic.

Last edited by JosephDoc; 10-25-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
That is one awesome set up. Looks way cool. I like your ride as well, Bride seats, exhaust tip and yellow fogs look great on the red.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
cleaaaaan! A real asset to the red Yaris clan

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #24
pixiedixie862

Drives: Scion xA
HUBBA HUBBA i think i love your car :) cleanest Vitz ive seen so far! very nice!
pixiedixie862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #25
simplicityinsound
Custom Car Audio

Drives: 2005 Subaru LGT
Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound
i do wish there was a little more fore and aft room avaiable on the yaris's hatch area...anyone know if hte upcoming 5 door hatch will be bigger back there? that would allow more room for front to back arrangements of gear and offers better flexiblity and design variation...

such as how many gear i put into the backof this GTI:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47312

i always enjoy doing hatch/wagons more than sedan trunks :)
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Wow... really nice setup!
Props to JosephDoc and simplicityinsound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
anyone know if hte upcoming 5 door hatch will be bigger back there?
I have a 5-door and I am pretty sure the hatch area is exactly the same size as the 3-door version.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #27
IsLNdbOi

Yes, the hatch space in the 5-door non-S LB is the exact same size as the '07 LB.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #28
Thej3sta2

Drives: Soon to be LFA
love it
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #29
simplicityinsound
Custom Car Audio

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound
hehe, with every toyota product i work on, i love it more, and its culminated in me convincing hte wife to trade in her civic coupe for a Scion Xd...whcih is the yaris' cousin right? :)

hehe...anyway, does ANYONE know here, if hte manual Xd, feels the same as the Yaris, interms of shift feel, clutch take...etc? its for hte wife, and i found the yaris to be an exceedingly simple manual to drive, so it would be great for her :)

sorry about this off topic, but we may go and sign the papers tommorow hehe

b
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #30
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Damn Joseph, when is the next meet...

I have seen some other work Simplicityinsound has done and it is amazing! I honestly cannot wait to see and hear this set up in person. You guys have to visit his website.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #31
IsLNdbOi

Joseph, it's a really sweet setup. I'd try to find a more concealed location for the backup cam though...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #32
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I'm not much of a car stereo enthusiast, but that is a great-looking install, and I'm sure it sounds every bit as good as it looks.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #33
simplicityinsound
Custom Car Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Joseph, it's a really sweet setup. I'd try to find a more concealed location for the backup cam though...
with this type of backup cam, as far as concealment goes, yo uhave very litttle choice...remember the goal is to still see whats behind you near the bumper level...hiding it up say near hte spoiler or behind the bumper attached to a subframe is less noticable, but doesnt do the job of looking backwards much good :)

the drill type bullet backup cams can be concealed much better, but htose involve cuting a rather large hole somewhere in the car hehe

in honesty, if you look at what 99 pecent of the OEM cameras are, espeically the lexus models, you wil see this camera is almost identical interms of size and location :)
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #34
JosephDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
cleaaaaan! A real asset to the red Yaris clan
LOL.. Please send me the sign up form the Red Yaris Clan.

Thanks to everyone's feedback. I will baby the car as much as I can.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #35
neo1985

Drives: yaris hb s
Send a message via MSN to neo1985
envy envy
neo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #36
Thej3sta2

Drives: Soon to be LFA
looks delicious