Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
DIY Electronic Trunk Release

I used a Viper 522T, about $40.00 at Circuit City. It’s a fairly generic solenoid and sold by different brands.

Looking at the third picture:

1)I bolted the mounting bracket first. Try to line up the solenoid, same angle that it would pull the latch. Straight shot.

2) Install the solenoid in the middle of the adjustment screws. This way, you can adjust the pull upwards or downwards. More tension or less.

3) The way the solenoid works is when you apply power to it, the cable is pulled real hard for a second. Ground and power does not matter which post you connect it to. In the picture, it is grounded right to the trunk. Just a few inches away, can’t see it because of the Dynamat.

4) Power wire. This wire runs up to the dash, to the alarm. I un-tapped the factory wire loom running on the driver side and ran the wire inside the looming. Then I re-taped it.

5) Notch the plastic that cover the trunk latch just above the stock trunk release cable.

6) I used a standard bicycle brake cable housing to slide over the steel cable of the Viper solenoid. The length of the housing should line up with the stock trunk release cable. The uncut or covered end of the housing should be towards the latch.

7) See picture
8) See picture
9)See picture

10) I made a loop with the Viper solenoid steel cable by soldering. The solenoid comes with a steel cable attachment, but it was a little bulky so I opted to solder it. The tension should be tight but not to tight. You can do small adjustment by moving the solenoid up or down (step 3).

11) You can test by touching the power wire to 12volts for a second. The trunk key and stock release cable are still operational.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 522T.jpg (14.8 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg 522T Back.jpg (15.5 KB, 694 views)
File Type: jpg 522T Install.jpg (77.5 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg 522T Instal 2l.JPG (97.1 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg 522T Install 3.JPG (75.8 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg Trunk Soleniod.JPG (16.3 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris 20003.jpg (103.8 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris 20004.jpg (108.2 KB, 688 views)
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Just curious does the hatch not come with a trunk release like the sedans?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
Just curious does the hatch not come with a trunk release like the sedans?
With the Hatch if you have the power package, all you have to do is unlock your doors, either with your remote or the unlock button in the car to unlock the hatch. If you do not have the power pkg I believe you have to do it manually(Key). So to answer your question the hatch does not come with a trunk release like the sedan.
MrMondayNite
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite View Post
With the Hatch If you do not have the power pkg you have to do it manually(Key).
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
YarisKid

Drives: 2007 Bayou Metallic Yaris
Might be a dumb question, but if you have to manually unlock the hatch then the release wouldn't be of much use right? Assuming that you would have to unlock the hatch and then hit the release?

-Rob
YarisKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
I think this release install is meant for the sedan, not the hatch, putting a release system on the hatch would be a much bigger pain in the rear.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
punch

this item is completely stupid, the sedan, including the s sedan which the original poster has, comes with a trunk release, you don't need an extra trunk release and button, I still don't see the purpose of this???
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
this item is completely stupid, the sedan, including the s sedan which the original poster has, comes with a trunk release, you don't need an extra trunk release and button, I still don't see the purpose of this???
a button, no. but making it electronical you could grab yourself a cheap-o remote ment for lights, and wire it up for the trunk and then you would have a remote trunk release

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Quote:
bc getting Toyota's keyless entry doesn't come with a remote trunk release? imo that's much more idiotic than someone rigging a power release.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Bones

Quote:
Electronic is the key word! I installed the solenoid so that I can open the trunk (not unlock it) via my alarm remote. You can't hook up your alarm to a cable trunk release, which is what comes stock with the Yaris!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Electronic is the key word! I installed the solenoid so that I can open the trunk (not unlock it) via my alarm remote. You can't hook up your alarm to a cable trunk release, which is what comes stock with the Yaris!

What was the point of posting the pics, with the button, to me seeing that pic made me believe it was somehow wired to this button, and you had to push that button, which didn't make sense , since we have a trunk release on the floor.

Guess I overlooked the part where you wired it to your aftermarket alarm.

oh by the way nice private message you sent me, now FU!

nice write up, it was one of my first complaints with this car, not being able to pop the trunk with the keyless entry.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #12
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
I kinda figured what this install was for without further explanation, and personally, I too think that a Sedan with keyless entry, but no way to pop the trunk from remote is the only stupidity mentioned in this thread. Great write-up, Bones, clear and concise with good visual aides. I'm sure all the sedan owners ... or at least most of them anyway, will appreciate the effort.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
i got my electronic trunk release, btw, it was pre installed...but the problem is i have to press 3 or 4 times before that trunk opens...any idea what should be the problem there?
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
Tjack
another 2 cents worth

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Having been helped by the experience and advice of other members, perhaps I may be able to contribute. I was able to install a solenoid to unlock (partially) my LB hatch. If someone was at the back he could open the hatch while the soenoid was activated. I added a spring on either side of the hatch over the small rubber bumbers. Now when I press the button the hatch actually springs open enough to be usesfull. Each spring is about 1 1/4" and about 3/4" od. Been working good for the last month. Tjack
Tjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #15
mcdaddy

Drives: Yaris 2006, 2NZFE 1.3L
great DIY there!! i notice your sound deadening materials.. were you able to eleminate all the rattles from the trunk lid mechanism?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaddy View Post
great DIY there!! i notice your sound deadening materials.. were you able to eleminate all the rattles from the trunk lid mechanism?
I don't have a sub, I only replaced the stock speakers and added an amp. So there's no rattle, I'm yet to make a cover for the trunk.

Last edited by Bones; 03-30-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
abdiel hiram

Drives: Yaris HB 2005
I have a question about the install. Instead of the Trunk Release Button, could be replaced with the output from my security system, i guess adding a Relay to control it with the Alarm remote?