Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
WankelsRevenge

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Replacing Routing Pulley

A few months back the engine bay started making the horrible squeling noise that everyone knows as the serpentine belt slipping. I finally got it replaced but the problem was still happening. After visiting my dad (an experianced mechanic) he had a look/listen and figured out it was the bearigns in the routing pulley going bad. I'm hoping to fix this myself but was wondering if any of you guys have done this before, and if so how hard of a job is it, and how much should I expect to spend in parts? Going to DC in a few weeks so need to get this done ASAP, plus I dont know how much longer WD-40 will solve the prob.
TIA
Ryan
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
wd-40 is a temp fix...like for date night or something. it wont last long and you'll likely do more damage.

the belt isnt hard, and once it's off the pulley is another bolt in the process. search how to remove the belt in the top of this forum and do it yourself...save 100 bux from paying someone.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
WankelsRevenge

Yeah I'm only doing the WD40 thing till I can get the parts I need. I just had the belt replaced so I just have to do the pully itself. Any idea on how much parts should total up to?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
WankelsRevenge

So I found out the problem was the bearing on the shaft to the water pump. I got all the parts required for the job, and actually started to replace it once but ran into a couple snags, that along with the lack of daylight I bolted everything back together and decided to try again another day. Any tips on getting the old one off and the new oen back on?
TIA
Ryan
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WankelsRevenge View Post
So I found out the problem was the bearing on the shaft to the water pump. I got all the parts required for the job, and actually started to replace it once but ran into a couple snags, that along with the lack of daylight I bolted everything back together and decided to try again another day. Any tips on getting the old one off and the new oen back on?
TIA
Ryan
So you were sure it was the "routing pulley" and now your sure its the water pump. Have you tried adjusting the tension on the belt to see if it makes the noise still? Belt squeal and bad bearings sound nothing alike.. I'm asking because you described it as definite belt slip, and you say the problem you are looking for now is the same noise. Not sure what bearings has to do with that - were any of the pulleys making noise if you turned them without the belt on that sounded like bad bearings??
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote