Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #253
spiceyhotwings

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS 5 door
Burnt out 2 HID bulbs

So I've now burnt out 2 HID bulbs. I don't think they even lasted 1.5 year. Does anyone have a pic of what connector I can pull to disable my DRL? I want my next set of HID's bulbs to last a lot longer than what I got out of the last ones. When I disable my DRL's I will run my LED's lights in the day instead of HID's to extend the HID bulbs life span. I've read what you've said tmontague but want to be exactly sure what I'm gonna be yanking out.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #254
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The connector is located under the dash on the drivers side. Lie on your back and look up under the dash. Closest to the radio you'll see a white connector (is a pretty decent size), unplug that and you'll disable the DRL's.

To make led's your DRL's wire it to your windshield washer fluid 12v wire which is located on the side of the resevoir.

This allows you to not have to go through the firewall to access ignition switched 12v power
Old 07-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #255
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyhotwings View Post
So I've now burnt out 2 HID bulbs. I don't think they even lasted 1.5 year. Does anyone have a pic of what connector I can pull to disable my DRL? I want my next set of HID's bulbs to last a lot longer than what I got out of the last ones. When I disable my DRL's I will run my LED's lights in the day instead of HID's to extend the HID bulbs life span. I've read what you've said tmontague but want to be exactly sure what I'm gonna be yanking out.
I suspect the main reason the bulbs don't last all that long is because the DRL module only supplies 6V to the headlights, which makes them flicker. Disableing the DRL and using aux. light is one solution.
Alternatly, you can use a power booster like this (http://www.hidvisioncanada.ca/6v-to-...power-booster/) to convert the 6V DRL signal to the full 15V required.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #256
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I suspect the main reason the bulbs don't last all that long is because the DRL module only supplies 6V to the headlights, which makes them flicker. Disableing the DRL and using aux. light is one solution.
Alternatly, you can use a power booster like this (http://www.hidvisioncanada.ca/6v-to-...power-booster/) to convert the 6V DRL signal to the full 15V required.
The DRL module actually supplies 12v, but it is pulsed, so the bulb don't get full amperes the bulb requires to light up, this dimming halogen bulbs.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #257
Brumman

Drives: yaris hatchback 2007
DRLs not working

DRLs on my Canadian Yaris 2007 manual HB no longer work. All other lights are OK.
The DRL started working intermittently and it seemed it might have been related to handbrake operation. Now finally DRLs are never on but the handbrake dash warning light still operates normally. Does anyone know if the handbrake switch has a single contact for both circuits or is it double?
If the problem is the DRL relay is there anyway of testing this before replacing it? Expensive replacement otherwise!
Brumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #258
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumman View Post
DRLs on my Canadian Yaris 2007 manual HB no longer work. All other lights are OK.
The DRL started working intermittently and it seemed it might have been related to handbrake operation. Now finally DRLs are never on but the handbrake dash warning light still operates normally. Does anyone know if the handbrake switch has a single contact for both circuits or is it double?
If the problem is the DRL relay is there anyway of testing this before replacing it? Expensive replacement otherwise!
how much is the handbrake switch? maybe replace it first.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #259
ECOyaris

Drives: Wanting a Yaris
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Thanks for the link this is very helpful
ECOyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #260
IllusionX

The DRL receives full 12v, but the current is pulsed to lower the amount of light produced.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #261
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
MY HERO! I tought the DRLs are UGLY AF on my Canadian Yaris Hatch.. sooo now, my yellow foglights ARE my DRLs they are 99% of the time ON anyway
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #262
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
DRL

No need to remove any panels.Just fold down panel underneath steering colum,reach up and unclip white harness.

Did this today.Great post though as it indicated exaxtly where box was.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #263
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
No need to remove any panels.Just fold down panel underneath steering colum,reach up and unclip white harness.

IIRC, on vehicles equipped with fog lights, simply doing this will disable the fogs as well.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #264
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post

Cut the big fat blue wire off that harness instead.

Use it to wire up the DRL of your choice. :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #265
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by paeko73 View Post
Since when does the 2007 Yaris have DRL? My IS 250 has DRL, but I haven't seen nor heard that on the Yaris.
My 07 H.B have drl

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #266
Cartel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch is sold
I'm going to do this cause I'm forgetting to turn my lights on at night cause the silly cluster is lit and I sub-consciously think they are on.
maybe without the DRL I will notice quicker.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 AM   #267
Brumman

Drives: yaris hatchback 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
I'm going to do this cause I'm forgetting to turn my lights on at night cause the silly cluster is lit and I sub-consciously think they are on.
maybe without the DRL I will notice quicker.
i agree it is silly! I often see people driving with no rear lights because the DRLs are on. However since it is illegal to drive without DRL in Canada I drive with sidelights on in daylight - when I remember! :-)
Brumman is offline   Reply With Quote