Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
How would you sound deaden engine compartment?

just where can you place the sound deadener material, RAMM, etc? inside the engine firewall?

Last edited by Yawesh; 01-11-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
RAMM?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
RAAMmat

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't understand the question. Do you want to use sound deadener in the engine compartment?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
well they claim over 300F resistant. You don't have to worry about it burning up, just peeling off due to high temps... I have a hard time believing that under the hood it'll get much hotter than 250F... even if its tripple digits outside, unless you're driving the car at high rpms and low speeds.

firewall is the main thing... tho it'll be a bitch to matt that area.

Quite frankly, there's not much noise from the engine compartment... most noise comes from the floor boards and the wheel wells due to imperfections in the road.

Dynamat makes a heatshielded foam that is meant to go on the bottom side of the hood.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Wouldn't you deaden the firewall from the inside of the car?

Quote:
Dynamat makes a heatshielded foam that is meant to go on the bottom side of the hood.
that's the way to go if you're trying to cut down engine noise. I'm going to try spraying my wheel wells with that "texture coat" stuff and see what that does. There was a thread about this once upon a time - who did it already?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
well they claim over 300F resistant. You don't have to worry about it burning up, just peeling off due to high temps... I have a hard time believing that under the hood it'll get much hotter than 250F... even if its tripple digits outside, unless you're driving the car at high rpms and low speeds.

firewall is the main thing... tho it'll be a bitch to matt that area.

Quite frankly, there's not much noise from the engine compartment... most noise comes from the floor boards and the wheel wells due to imperfections in the road.

just want to get rid of the annoying engine "tapping"
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
just want to get rid of the annoying engine "tapping"
Turn off the engine!

Automotive engineers concentrate on soundproofing the passenger compartment from the inside. You could install dynomat or soundproffing behind the firewall..... alot of work. Go for it and let us know.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
I think what you are talking about is reducing the noise from the engine compartment.

There are several ways to reducing the noise.....

Barriers - Lead, mass loaded vinyl - dense enough to reflect sound away.

Dampeners(Raamat, damplifier) - dampen vibrations and subsequent noise transmitted by the sheet metal which is about 30-50% of noise generation. Do not confuse these with barriers. They do not reflect sound well.

Absorbers - particular foams, cotton - these can actually absorb sound therefore reducing noise.

If you are going to use a dampener material, spend the extra money and use Second Skin Audio Damplifier or Damplifier Pro. Its temp limit is 500 degrees. possibility if spectrum liquid.

Now the problem is how do you access the firewall?? I did see an article not too long ago in an article for front strut bar installation where you can remove the wipers and plastic cowling. There is some access to the firewall. Another option is to get to the firewall from the inside - that will be tough

A much easier solution I have seen is treating the underside of the hood with a dampener and sound absorber. Damplifier and motor mat have been used bu others with good results. This is what I am planning on doing. I am waiting for my order to arrive. I will also try to access the firewall.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Wouldn't you deaden the firewall from the inside of the car?

that's the way to go if you're trying to cut down engine noise. I'm going to try spraying my wheel wells with that "texture coat" stuff and see what that does. There was a thread about this once upon a time - who did it already?
I put 3/4 of a can in each wheel well... I think it helped a VERY small amount.... mostly when a rock gets thrown by a tire and flies into the well. Sound is quieter now... I think that rubber stuff kind of cushions the rocks impact. It does put on some weight, but not a whole lot. Each can is something like 16oz.

People try to combat sound going into the firewall multiple ways, the deflectors & foam on the inside of the bay would be the most common (for inside the bay)... and foam & mat on the inside of the cabin the most common for inside the cabin.

A tapping noise.... the deflectors & foam I think would be best... but really, how much of that can you really get rid of? You have vents, that intake air around the engine/hood area... the sound is coming from the engine. you will always have some transference.

One word of caution about sound dampening... when you first dampen a car like i did last spring. 40sq feet on the floor boards & wheel wells, 20sq ft on the side panels of the hatch, + 40sq ft of thin foam on the floors, + 2" foam in the hatch door, over the spare tire, and in the side panels (by the rear seats). Well.... when you first do this, sound does drop a considerable amount, and humans partially perceive speed through the sounds they hear.

YOU DRIVE FASTER WHEN ITS QUIET. I remember I had to put a little more pressure on the brakes than I thought was needed because I kept on approaching stoplights & cars a bit too fast because it took awhile for my brain to readjust to the now quieter car.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

oh yeah.... toyota for some reason makes it hard to reach the firewall. My mazda was a cinch compared to the two yotas i've worked on. My buddy's highlander was tough.... and the yaris isn't cake either.... I'm only taking about from the inside here. I did my dampaning in 2 days... Day 1 = strip car, day 2 = dampen & put together... doing the firewall probably would've meant another 4hrs work, and I was running out of sunlight & mat. When I dampen my two doors I'll take 20sq feet and use it on the firewall at that time.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
If you just want to not hear your engine a couple of high density ear plugs would probably set you back $3.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote