Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Do I have great taste in rigs or what?

My '08 HB 5 sp. is my good weather driver, lousy weather also, but deep in the winter AWD isn't just a convinence or a safety issue for me, it's a necessity. There's a reason there is a ski area on the mountain I live on.... and one stretch in particular on my 1 1/2 mile dirt road home off the road to the ski area gets drifted in on a regular basis. It can get very dicey even with a 4x4 of any type, sure I can walk the last mile, at night and right into the usual wind the storm brings, but what about the groceries left in the car overnight? Then when the county finally gets around to plowing, my cars in the way, been there done that, AWD is REQUIRED up here. I also need a rig I can tow behind the crane, and my new used rig will be that rig.

So anyway, I traded in my trusty 600 buck Toyota All Trac, and I delivered it 750 miles away to the dealership I bought my new ride from. At 63 mph mostly the AllTrac turned in a grand final performance, posting 35.99 mpg! Best of all I got a tradein of $1,000.00 so in the 3 years I thrashed it other then a water pump it cost me nothing and I actually made money, what a deal!

The '89 Alltrac was getting on in years, had no air or cruise (the Yaris, my first car ever with both, has spoiled me) and no power windows. That's important as my dog has trained me to do all our town and secondary road driving with the rear windows down, no matter the weather, but when I get on the interstate for the 11 mile drive to town, it can be a PITA to drive and crank the rear windows up, real awkward ergonomically. The 2000 Toyota Rav4 5 sp I got for 5500 bucks plus the AllTrac has all the mod cons and of course AWD and did I say it's a Toyota? Plus it's white so matchs the Yaris, my crane truck, and my Dodge diesel pickup.

It made the trip home at 75+ mph, and the air on the entire way. I got almost 28 mpg. Big deal you say, and I agree, but I NEVER drive that fast except to get across Wyoming..... and once back in my home shop I gave it the same treatment my Yaris got. I stripped out the rear seats, spare and jack, the receiver hitch and ball (and I'll take off the entire hitch frame next and sell it as I will never tow with it) and pumped up the tires to a couple pounds over the max rating on the sidewalls. Then I got another ScanGauge which I of course use in the Yaris.

So.... here is the point of all this on what is a Yaris forum, with the ScanGauge yet uncalibrated as I have not filled up yet, but with the ScanGauge set up properly for this particular engine, I am getting mileage very near what the Yaris gets. and I average mid 40's. It DFCO's like the Yaris, and the biggest mindblower is it COASTS as good as the Yaris! Keeping in mind it's taller profile and it's full time AWD I can hardly believe this, but I know my coast points, how fast to go to coast a certain distance etc. usually a turnoff or a stop sign. I have to think that fine tuned calibration after several fillups will show some error in the readings, but even taking that into account it would appear that getting mid to high 30's in this little mini SUV (it's like a little panel truck inside, LOTS of room) will be a piece of cake, and maybe even lower 40's..... I have to thank this forum (and my own common sense) for the driving techniques that I use on my Yaris and that readily now transfer over to whatever other rig I am driving. Also, assuming there are a lot of Toyota freaks like me on this forum, if you need a fuel efficient AWD ride, check the Rav's out, I absolutely love this thing, and even caught myself driving it into town a couple times when I should have drove the Yaris! Any Yaris/Toyata fan would love the Rav4 is the point. In particular the older ones, pre 2001, after 2000 they got "improved", bigger, more powerful, and heavier. That reminds me, the thing is LIGHT, about 2600, not bad for all the goodies and the size.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
My '08 HB 5 sp. is my good weather driver, lousy weather also, but deep in the winter AWD isn't just a convinence or a safety issue for me, it's a necessity. There's a reason there is a ski area on the mountain I live on.... and one stretch in particular on my 1 1/2 mile dirt road home off the road to the ski area gets drifted in on a regular basis. It can get very dicey even with a 4x4 of any type, sure I can walk the last mile, at night and right into the usual wind the storm brings, but what about the groceries left in the car overnight? Then when the county finally gets around to plowing, my cars in the way, been there done that, AWD is REQUIRED up here. I also need a rig I can tow behind the crane, and my new used rig will be that rig.

So anyway, I traded in my trusty 600 buck Toyota All Trac, and I delivered it 750 miles away to the dealership I bought my new ride from. At 63 mph mostly the AllTrac turned in a grand final performance, posting 35.99 mpg! Best of all I got a tradein of $1,000.00 so in the 3 years I thrashed it other then a water pump it cost me nothing and I actually made money, what a deal!

The '89 Alltrac was getting on in years, had no air or cruise (the Yaris, my first car ever with both, has spoiled me) and no power windows. That's important as my dog has trained me to do all our town and secondary road driving with the rear windows down, no matter the weather, but when I get on the interstate for the 11 mile drive to town, it can be a PITA to drive and crank the rear windows up, real awkward ergonomically. The 2000 Toyota Rav4 5 sp I got for 5500 bucks plus the AllTrac has all the mod cons and of course AWD and did I say it's a Toyota? Plus it's white so matchs the Yaris, my crane truck, and my Dodge diesel pickup.

It made the trip home at 75+ mph, and the air on the entire way. I got almost 28 mpg. Big deal you say, and I agree, but I NEVER drive that fast except to get across Wyoming..... and once back in my home shop I gave it the same treatment my Yaris got. I stripped out the rear seats, spare and jack, the receiver hitch and ball (and I'll take off the entire hitch frame next and sell it as I will never tow with it) and pumped up the tires to a couple pounds over the max rating on the sidewalls. Then I got another ScanGauge which I of course use in the Yaris.

So.... here is the point of all this on what is a Yaris forum, with the ScanGauge yet uncalibrated as I have not filled up yet, but with the ScanGauge set up properly for this particular engine, I am getting mileage very near what the Yaris gets. and I average mid 40's. It DFCO's like the Yaris, and the biggest mindblower is it COASTS as good as the Yaris! Keeping in mind it's taller profile and it's full time AWD I can hardly believe this, but I know my coast points, how fast to go to coast a certain distance etc. usually a turnoff or a stop sign. I have to think that fine tuned calibration after several fillups will show some error in the readings, but even taking that into account it would appear that getting mid to high 30's in this little mini SUV (it's like a little panel truck inside, LOTS of room) will be a piece of cake, and maybe even lower 40's..... I have to thank this forum (and my own common sense) for the driving techniques that I use on my Yaris and that readily now transfer over to whatever other rig I am driving. Also, assuming there are a lot of Toyota freaks like me on this forum, if you need a fuel efficient AWD ride, check the Rav's out, I absolutely love this thing, and even caught myself driving it into town a couple times when I should have drove the Yaris! Any Yaris/Toyata fan would love the Rav4 is the point. In particular the older ones, pre 2001, after 2000 they got "improved", bigger, more powerful, and heavier. That reminds me, the thing is LIGHT, about 2600, not bad for all the goodies and the size.
Congrats! If I go for a second vehicle this the sort of route I want to go. Did you pick it up in WY, MT or another state? (I assume not ID as you wrote = 750 miles away) How many miles on it when you took delivery? Did you get a CarFax or something similar?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Idahotom

I got it in Colorado Springs, Co. It has 150K but appears to have led a pampered life. Dealer maintained, one owner. NEW tires, trick power moon roof and the trailer hitch. I'll be lucky to put 5K a year on it, mostly local, in the winter. A few cosmetic dings, but drives tight and quiet, no leaks etc. Clean Carfax report and I didn't have to ask, it was offered. The stealership moves 2 to 300 units a month, Front Range Honda is the name. My second time I've bought a used car via the internet, my Yaris was the first. The good thing is being to find exactly what you want, the bad, is obvious! I maybe have been lucky twice but so far so good.

The Rav seem to go for top dollar, and are sought after, especially the older ones. The 5 spds have a diff lock button, only used to get unstuck, not for driving, as it pretty much locks up all 4 wheels I believe, a pretty unique feature, otherwise it's full time AWD.

My insurance (liability only ) and registration are dirt cheap, less then 200 bucks a year combined on my Yaris, the Rav, and the '89 Dodge diesel one ton. I plan on driving all these rigs into the grave and/or the scrap heap.....and it bugs me to drive a AWD all summer when it's not needed, I pick and choose the ride for the day for max economy. Right now initial indications are that this Rav is king of the heap in fuel economy in it's small SUV catagory. The funny thing is, just like here and the Yaris, some struggle to break mid 20's MPG while others easily get over 30, driver technique seems to be the big varible, I'm doing something right to apparently be getting high 30's. Still, a gas hog compared to the mid 40's I routinely get in the Yaris! My last comment on the Rav BTW, but like I said, anyone who likes their Yaris would appreciate the Rav's also!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I got it in Colorado Springs, Co. It has 150K but appears to have led a pampered life. Dealer maintained, one owner. NEW tires, trick power moon roof and the trailer hitch. I'll be lucky to put 5K a year on it, mostly local, in the winter. A few cosmetic dings, but drives tight and quiet, no leaks etc. Clean Carfax report and I didn't have to ask, it was offered. The stealership moves 2 to 300 units a month, Front Range Honda is the name. My second time I've bought a used car via the internet, my Yaris was the first. The good thing is being to find exactly what you want, the bad, is obvious! I maybe have been lucky twice but so far so good.

The Rav seem to go for top dollar, and are sought after, especially the older ones. The 5 spds have a diff lock button, only used to get unstuck, not for driving, as it pretty much locks up all 4 wheels I believe, a pretty unique feature, otherwise it's full time AWD.

My insurance (liability only ) and registration are dirt cheap, less then 200 bucks a year combined on my Yaris, the Rav, and the '89 Dodge diesel one ton. I plan on driving all these rigs into the grave and/or the scrap heap.....and it bugs me to drive a AWD all summer when it's not needed, I pick and choose the ride for the day for max economy. Right now initial indications are that this Rav is king of the heap in fuel economy in it's small SUV catagory. The funny thing is, just like here and the Yaris, some struggle to break mid 20's MPG while others easily get over 30, driver technique seems to be the big varible, I'm doing something right to apparently be getting high 30's. Still, a gas hog compared to the mid 40's I routinely get in the Yaris! My last comment on the Rav BTW, but like I said, anyone who likes their Yaris would appreciate the Rav's also!
Thanks so much for the info. You really snagged a fantastic find! What search methodology did you utilize? Did you pick a certain distance from your house and then search the used car inventory online of all manufacturer affiliated dealers inside that distance?...or what? Did you buy your Yaris from a Toyota Dealer and how many miles did it have on it when you bought it? That's great that Front Range offered the CarFax without you even asking....a step that showed they wanted to earn your business in the right way.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Good info...

Thats an easily overlooked vehicle...good thing for folks like us. Ive never looked twice at one, till now!

We had an old AWD Tercel wagon, (another easily by-passed car) and it was the best car we ever had. (Well, before our present ones....Scion xD and Yaris)

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Idahotom

I would have never gotten rid of the AllTrac, except I found out about the Ravs.... I LIKE the fact that it, kind of like the Yaris, is off most peoples radar! I cannot wait to mess with all the Sabaru driving friends I have here once I get some definitive MPG numbers, it is going to blow them away.

My Yaris I bought clear over in Michigan, but I have a couple nephews who lived close enough to go eyeball it for me, and make sure it was as it was supposed to be. The seller was honest and straightforward, as I think most people still are
Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I would have never gotten rid of the AllTrac, except I found out about the Ravs.... I LIKE the fact that it, kind of like the Yaris, is off most peoples radar! I cannot wait to mess with all the Sabaru driving friends I have here once I get some definitive MPG numbers, it is going to blow them away.

My Yaris I bought clear over in Michigan, but I have a couple nephews who lived close enough to go eyeball it for me, and make sure it was as it was supposed to be. The seller was honest and straightforward, as I think most people still are
There is something great about finding/uncovering something that has extreme concrete/objective value but only fits the taste or needs of the few, and not the few in an economic sense. Happy driving!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Idahotom

Now that I have more time on the Rav 4 (driven ONLY when I absolutely can't cram whatever into the Yaris, and very soon now, only when the roads on the mountain I live on demand all wheel drive) I thought I would update this thread. I started it as we are all Toyota fans I'm guessing, but sometimes ya just gotta have 4 wheel drive, but I still wanted Toyota reliability and economy.

Several fillups and the now calibrated ScanGauge (both the Yaris and the Rav have one, I'm hooked on them) show that in my usual driving cycle I am coming in at mid 27 to mid 28 MPG. To put that in perspective, the Yaris does mid 40's mpg in the same route and driving habits. So, I laughingly refer to the Rav as "the gas hog". Past experiences with Subaru awd's showed low 20's MPG, so I'm not complaining. No rear seats, jack, spare tire, and tires at max sidewall rating, just like the Yaris.

In re reading my first post of this thread, I see I was a little overly optimistic as to what I may get MPG wise.....interesting that my drive back from Colorado with it, 800 miles or so, and cruising at freeway speed limits and a bit higher (something I never do except to get out of Wyoming) with some accurate fillup computations, turned in almost the exact mileage as my much slower local driving. The Yaris does much better in comparasion. In other words the Rav is great on the highway, and seems to suffer a bit in around town, probably something to do with AWD and more weight. The one thing I havn't tried yet is a long freeway trip at my usual freeway speed, right at 60 mph, that should be good for 30 I'm guessing.

The Yaris remains king of MPG, no surprise, I didn't expect the Rav to match. On the other hand, with the rear seats out, the Rav is like a little panel truck, a Toyota, AWD, panel truck, and it will haul a load. I have had my welder, ladders, one big load of fence posts and all kinds of loads that in the past I would have used the pickup for. Great ride, the dog loves the rear windows rolling down (he hates the Yaris for that reason and is always a bit dissappointed when we take it) and zero problems so far. I especially find the super low load height in the rear useful when loading the welder etc. And, it's exactly the right height to make very comfortable seating, perfect for putting on ski boots this winter.