Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #37
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I agree about FRAM, avoid that crap at all cost. And just follow the scheduled maintenance in the manual. Drive it right, and change at 5k miles and you'll be fine. Manual is an amazing thing.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #38
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
i see absolutely no point in using synthetic when changing every 5k, but the manufacturers of synthetic oil sure are good at marketing the miraculous wonders of their product. i have to give them that.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #39
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Hershey, what you have done and what you plan to do will not hurt a thing. I think it's a pretty good plan.

Quote:
Oil change intervals are designed mainly by marketing. Manufactures want to claim that their cars are more maintainence free than the competition"s
The also want to say their cars are more "green" and get more "use" out of oli.
I would be very interested in seeing an example of "marketing" materials to support this proposition. I am not exactly a young guy and I cannot recall ever-- ever--seeing marketing materials from a car company stating, "Buy our car because you don't have to change the oil as often." I can't even recall a company promoting low maintenance as a feature because regular maintenance is a big money maker for dealerships. Luxury, glamor, speed, power, warranty, fuel economy, crash ratings--absolutely. But, low maintenance? NEVER.

OK, as far as the first oil change. I think there is some logic in doing the first one early, even though Toyota does not specifically recommend it. What's a couple bucks? But, after that I would go with the recommendations in the owners manual. If you want to spend a little more money and do it early, more power to you ya. Not sure it's really necessary, though.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #40
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
thanks . These oil changes with synthetic oil and TOYO oil filter are less than $17 .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
when i get a manual hb, im changing my oil once i get home to synthetic
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #42
Roscoe

Drives: Sporty
Location: " When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong on one forgets. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
5k. and since you need to change every 5k for warranty purposes anyway, spending extra on synthetic is a complete waste of money, IMHO.
I agree & buy a toyota oil filter.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #43
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I agree & buy a toyota oil filter.
everyone has their own way of taking care of their car. Personally i like synthetic, so do others, and others just stick to regular conventional, look at that guy (forgot his name) who has his yaris sedan at almost 400k miles with jsut regular oil and stuff from wal-mart, car has no problems, i think the biggest thing was replacing the altenator he said I'm not sure on the whole story.
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote