Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #19
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Oh, come on, give me a break, in Europe the recommended oil change intervals are more like 20-30,000 km, which is like 15-20,000 miles and the cars run just fine...
Give me a break!
Oil is the life blood of an engine,
Show me a race driver who does no want fresh oil in his car before the start of a race.

Fact is, maufactures do not want engines to last forever. Sure it stiil may "run" after years of "neglect" but, how well? I doubt that they run "just fine".

Anyone who refuses to spend a relative small amount of mony to protect a large investement is a fool IMO.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #20
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Show me a race driver who does no want fresh oil in his car before the start of a race.
Dude, the question was for a Toyota Yaris, in case you haven't noticed
Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #21
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by libraryelf View Post
I think the manual recommends synthetic oil, Mobile.
im pretty sure this would not be the case. recommending syn oil then requiring changing the oil everyt 5k would negate the real advantage of using synthetic oil.

and agreed w/ another post. 5,000 mile intervals are pretty conservative. my oil is VERY clean at each 5k interval, summer or winter. i think most good conventional oils will give good protection beyond that. i think 5k intervals will give plenty of protection to make your engine last as long as possible. unless one is driving under awfully extreme conditions, i dont see the point of changing at 3k miles (well, unless you are a conspiracy theorist who believes the recommended intervals were designed to shorten engine life and force you to buy another new car sooner than necessary---GUESS WHAT--nothing causes a company's reputation to go in the toilet quicker than a reputation of short lived engines--so, no company in their right mind is going to extend oil change recommendations to intervals that would jeopardize this).

the 5k recommended intervals are very prudent, imo. 3k intervals are not only unnecessary but would be a pita as well, and if service departments recommend them they are simply looking to make extra money off the paranoid.

Last edited by roxy1; 01-18-2010 at 06:13 AM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
RedRide

You guys are acting like an oil change is detrimental to an engine.

I still maintain that spending an additional $30-$40 a year to protect your investmernt is prudent.
What are you guys afraid of?

The OP wated to know about their "first" oil change. What are your words of wisdom about that?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
roxy1

its already been anwered. 5k, at which interval your engine oil should be quite clean under most driving conditions.

but, hey, i think if you really want to protect your engine, you could change it every 2k. no, better yet every 1k. oh, to hell with that, change your oil every time you gas up.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
was actually meant to be a poll . Not a dispute about motor oil . Oh well .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:

Fact is, maufactures do not want engines to last forever. Sure it stiil may "run" after years of "neglect" but, how well? I doubt that they run "just fine".
incorrect. how long an engine last is based on materials used, tolerances accepted, and quality control

an engine that 'lasts forever' takes more time and expense in engineering and production

manufacturers want engines to last, but they may not engineer each component with enough durability to do so. Also, engine teardowns and rebuilds are a part of 'engine life'. the worlds most expensive and also longest lasting engines, require periodic rebuilds and replacement of moving parts.

are you asking for a motor that doesn't require the top end to come off ? an average toyota engine can do > 300,000 miles on original seals, bearings, and gaskets, if it is maintained according to the service manual.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
fmicle

Quote:
You guys are acting like an oil change is detrimental to an engine.

I still maintain that spending an additional $30-$40 a year to protect your investmernt is prudent.
What are you guys afraid of?

The OP wated to know about their "first" oil change. What are your words of wisdom about that?
Not at all, oil changes at 3k miles are only detrimental to your wallet and we're saying 5k is just as good. The only thing I argue with is people telling me changing at 5k is going to kill my engine faster. I don't buy that

Yes, of course changing at 3k is better than 5k, heck I say changing oil whenever you refuel is better than at 3k, but it's overkill

The oil industry (and I mean that litterally) will thank you for it
Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #27
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Not at all, oil changes at 3k miles are only detrimental to your wallet and we're saying 5k is just as good. The only thing I argue with is people telling me changing at 5k is going to kill my engine faster. I don't buy that

Yes, of course changing at 3k is better than 5k, heck I say changing oil whenever you refuel is better than at 3k, but it's overkill

The oil industry (and I mean that litterally) will thank you for it
The only thing I argue with is people tell me (and others) how dity their oil is and when to change it. Only the individual owners can determine that.
Othewise, it's like telling people how warm to dress based solely on the calender while completely ignoring the present temperature.

Most all info on the net about changing oil is people simply quoting each other.

Personally, I drive mainly at sustained high speeds and that in its self is cosidered a a "servere" operating conditiion.
I shure others as well often drive in a "gey area" and it it would be prudent for them not to adhear to the 5k oil change schedule.

Maintainance schedules are just a rules of thumb and nothing else. They do not take into account the many varables oweners impose on their cars.

Yes, changing oil at 5k vs 3k wiil kill your enging faster. It's just pure common sense and logic.
The argument should be about just how much faster and is the shortened life worth it to a particular owner.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-18-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #28
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Personally, I drive mainly at sustained high speeds and that in its self is cosidered a a "servere" operating conditiion.
Sustained highway driving is the best situation for long oil life, as long as the engine's not overheated. The most "severe" operating condition is short trip driving where the oil seldom if ever fully warms up.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
roxy1

Quote:

Yes, changing oil at 5k vs 3k wiil kill your enging faster. It's just pure common sense and logic.
:
i simply dont buy this logic, at least certainly not 99% of drivers who do not drive under extreme driving conditions (and no, i dont consider lots of higher speed highway driving as extreme). exactly what failure will a toyota engine (the 1.5 in the yaris, for example) have that was changed every 5k that the one changed every 3k wont?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #30
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Sustained highway driving is the best situation for long oil life, as long as the engine's not overheated. The most "severe" operating condition is short trip driving where the oil seldom if ever fully warms up.
Yes, frequent short trips are bad.

However, all things being equal, constant ,sustained high speed driving is harder on an engine than low speed driving.
I'm shure you can agree with that.

Also, you obviously agree that there are variables that should determine when to change oil.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
fmicle

Quote:
The argument should be about just how much faster and is the shortened life worth it to a particular owner.
Well then, based on your logic changing at 1k must be better than changing at 3k and I'm sure changing it at 100 miles is better than 1,000. I'm telling ya, we should change the oil with every refueling, that will give you the longest life on your engine, provided that you want to keep your car that long and haven't gotten bored with it
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #32
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
+1, actually Toyota even says in the manual not to drive in high gear at low speeds.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #33
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Yes, frequent short trips are bad.

However, all things being equal, constant ,sustained high speed driving is harder on an engine than low speed driving.
I'm shure you can agree with that.
No. Speed has nothing to do with it. Oil temperature is the important variable. Too cool being worse than fairly hot. You're unlikely to run your Yaris engine's oil too hot by sustained high speed driving.

Quote:
Also, you obviously agree that there are variables that should determine when to change oil.
Certainly. And most of the time we really have no way of knowing what they are. Oil analysis at frequent regular intervals is the only way to properly determine "when it's time to change oil," but as that's quite impractical for most of us we have to go by standard recommendations. Do what makes you happy. I'll go right along with the 5K changes. It's certainly plenty often for my driving conditions.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #34
Hershey

decided to change out factory installed oil and filter for the 2010 3 door L.B. myself at little less than 1,000 miles with PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 ( $3 a qt. ) and a TOYO ( Denso ) oil filter ( $3.50 ) . Plan to change again in MARCH or at 4,000 miles . Then go to the 5,000 mile / 6 month interval using a synthetic that's on sale . We have temps that drop to 10 above > 10 below that the car sits in outside . Figure better flow at cold starts . No garage as of yet .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-26-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #35
Hershey

forgot that there's a very steep 2 mile hill that has to be climbed about everyday that's only few miles from our home . So car doesn't have much time to warm up before the high r.p.m.s needed to conquer that beast . Get many impatient drivers ( tailgaters ) with their larger vehicles that are in a hurry to get up the mountain to get to work or other reason . Therefore hard to keep it at lower speed .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-26-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #36
Rand0m0sityxX

Drives: 1998 Honda Crv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
What kind ( synthetic or conventional ) ? What brand ( Pennzoil , Valvoline , etc. ) ? What weight ( 5w-30 , 5w-20 , ... ) . THANKS
you SHOULD do your first around 1k to 1500. And I do that, as well as advise it, because the metal shards are still coming off the motor, and you don't want to drive 5k with that in your oil.

I also change every 4k with synthetic oil, i just use super tech from walmart and the filter.

I personally (no matter what anyone says) would trust a car going over 3k on conventional, but to each they're own opinion.

I also will advise to not use fram filters, they are not worth the money.
Rand0m0sityxX is offline   Reply With Quote